PDA

View Full Version : Class features requiring an ability check: a list

Unoriginal
2021-04-02, 08:12 AM
Hi folks.

I'm working on a new character concept, and I was wondering: which class or subclass features actually are based on making an ability check?

As in, (sub)class features that let you do new things with ability checks, not (sub)class features that gives you a bigger modifier at/make you unable to roll lower than X at/gives you advantage at Y or Z ability check, nor features that let you use a bonus action do to the check when it would normally have taken an action or let you auto-succeed something everyone could try doing (and even less features that just give you more proficiencies or let you shift your proficiencies).

I thought it'd be interesting to make a list.

So far I've got:

STR:

- Beast Barbarian's Bestial Soul let you make an Strength (Athleticism) ability check once per turn to extend your jump by the check's result in feet.

DEX:

CON:

INT:

WIS:

- Inquisitive Rogue's Insightful Fighting let you make a Wisdom (Insight) check vs the opponent's Charisma (Deception) check, to apply your Sneak Attack even if you don't have advantage against them.

CHA:

- Swashbuckler Rogue's Panache let you make a Charisma (Persuasion) check vs the opponent's Wisdom (Insight) check, resulting in either the creature being charmed by you or them having disadvantage on all attacks not against you + being unable to make opportunity attacks on anyone else but you.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, do you know which ones?

Waazraath
2021-04-02, 08:18 AM
Do you count spells as '(sub)class features'? If yes, then dispel magic and counterspell let you dispel/counter spells above 3rd level with an ability check.

elyktsorb
2021-04-02, 08:38 AM
Mastermind Rogue's 17th level ability Soul of Deceit allows you to present false thoughts by succeeding on a Charisma (Deception) check contested by the mind reader's Wisdom (Insight) check, when someone attempts to read your mind via telepathy or other means.

Darc_Vader
2021-04-03, 02:17 AM
Not sure if it counts, but Whispers Bard has Mantle of Whispers which other people can try to see through with a contested check (Wisdom(Insight) vs Charisma(Deception)).

Also kind of a weird one, but Wizards can make an Intelligence(Arcana) check to copy a spell down from a scroll.

As far as I can tell from my exhaustive search (read: ctrl-f on each class for the word ‘check’), there isn’t anything else that hasn’t been mentioned already.

Waazraath
2021-04-03, 04:08 AM
I thought about this a bit more, and I was wondering: would it be a good thing if there are more of this features? Cause I concluded (like Darc_Vader) that threre aren't much more, I didn't found anything new.

But the thing is: making class features run on ability checks, will often (in all the OP's examples) run on specific skill checks; that means forcing a (sub)class into taking specific skills, and thus limiting options there.