PDA

View Full Version : Any good d20 Modern conversions to 5e out there?

Mobius Twist
2021-04-02, 10:21 AM
I got an itch for some updated d20 Modern. The "prestige" classes feel like they'd combine nicely with the subclass system introduced in 5th edition.

Does such a conversion effort exist already?

BerzerkerUnit
2021-04-02, 12:00 PM
I’m not aware of any 5e d20 modern. But I’d be happy to brainstorm a few baseline elements.

Core assumption: this is an action movie setting. PCs in 5e can take hits that kill regular people and still function without impairment until nearly killed and are usually ready to go again by the next scene. That feels like Rests happen when all PCs agree and last as long as the scene affords or demands. So you might all duck behind a table, talk smack, reload, and be ready to fight again: that was a short rest. Or you might all need to escape, find a hotel, and lay low for a few days for a long rest.

Rest might even be an RP reward where the PCs have to review plot elements or work on character development (relationships between PCs, personal goals, motive changes, etc).

Modern characters should probably get Jack-of-all-trades. Here's my reasoning: Most modern educational practices are rooted in college prep/continued education curricula. The Western college experience generally includes a Foundations curriculum requiring so many credits of math, science, literature, etc before narrowing focus. This practice (for good or ill) stems from the notion scholars should be “Renaissance Men and Women” with a firm understanding of a wide array of academic subjects. Primary and Secondary education generally feeds into that system.

A peasant with a rural upbringing might not have any idea they breathe to inflate lungs, they might believe their blood is the spirits of their ancestors leaking out and the notion it could be pumped into someone you have no relation to to save their life might be seen as dark magic.

In modern times, a lot more of the basic information about the human body, how government works, etc is readily available for research or entertainment. So even if you can’t draft a legal brief, you probably know enough about court proceedings to describe them and half ass your way through your own defense (though obviously you’d prefer if someone could full ass their way through for you).

Add Sciences to the skill list.

I think a general system of “narrow Expertise” can be added to everyone so you get bonuses for something you specialize in. And maybe half such a bonus for a hobby. Terrains for stealth or survival, sub fields for sciences, specific religions or cultures for religion, economics or law for History, etc.

Guns are in the DMG. I think a rogue subclass that uses sniper rifles and the optional aim bonus action covers a modern Sniper. a few Fighting Styles and a Feat can make Gun Fu more of a thing overall.

Changing the costs of Armor and some base expectations for ACs can probably keep Fighter as a kind of default action hero type.

Empty Hand and Shadow Monks are fine as is.

Add a lot of backgrounds.

A generic class for your magic stuff called The Exceptional which is just a half caster with subclasses for Technowizard, Divinely Inspired, Occultist, and Child of Nature. I think a Technowizard which covers Divination, Illusion, and maybe some Enchantment and Abjuration could be your default Hacker. Locate Person=Facial Recognition and Satellite/CCTV feeds, Invisibility=Cloaking device or hacking the camera/optics in badguy suits/robots etc. Charm Person/Disguise Self=Fake IDs and Movie Magic.

From there you can multiclass with Fighter or Rogue to get the feeling of one of the other Core classes like Paladin or Ranger without adding a bunch of over the top features like smites or lay on hands (effects already covered by Lesser Restoration and Cure Wounds).

If you want full casting in your game that's fine, I just think the progression in a standard "action movie" setting will provide too much versatility and raw power. If it's a more Supers type thing I think there are better systems for you.