PDA

View Full Version : Niche spell range question

Houster
2021-04-02, 11:58 AM
I'm planning to build a divine sorc with cure wounds, inflict wounds and distant spell. If I distant an attack touch spell(such as inflict wounds), making it 30ft range, will spell sniper double it's range to 60ft?

nickl_2000
2021-04-02, 12:02 PM
Inflict Wounds is melee spell attack against a creature you can reach.

So, let's break it down.

When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell’s range is doubled
You are casting a spell that requires you to make an attack roll. Therefore spells range would be doubled. So, it applies. Overall, if you have to make an attack roll it doubles the range.

Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
Since it's a melee spell attack, this doesn't apply.

Houster
2021-04-02, 12:09 PM
Many thanks!

kaoskonfety
2021-04-02, 05:56 PM
Snip

Broad agreement at a strict reading, and I'd certainly allow it at my table, but bear in mind your DM will, as always, have the last call here.

tarak_666
2021-04-03, 01:00 PM
I'm planning to build a divine sorc with cure wounds, inflict wounds and distant spell. If I distant an attack touch spell(such as inflict wounds), making it 30ft range, will spell sniper double it's range to 60ft?

I think this should work

Jon talks a lot
2021-04-03, 05:18 PM
Sounds awesome.

RAW, it doesn't work. RAI, it doesn't work either.

With that said, it's cool enough and it's certainly not OP, so I, using this wonderful thing called DM Fiat, would allow it.

That doesn't mean your DM will though. That's the problem with applying DM decisions to other games with a different DM.

nickl_2000
2021-04-05, 06:41 AM
RAW, it doesn't work. RAI, it doesn't work either.

What is your reading that makes it not work by RAW?

Do you have a tweet/sage advice that backs up that it isn't RAI?

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I am curious where your claims are coming from.

Valmark
2021-04-05, 07:54 AM

Seems to me it would.

Distant Spell makes the spell's range become 30 feet- based on the wording, the range is now 30 feet so Spell Sniper would make it 60.

The only question would be wether the DM tells you to apply Spell Sniper first- but if I'm not wrong RAW you apply effects in the order you choose, so there should be no issue there.

jojosskul
2021-04-05, 12:06 PM
I love this. I went ahead and looked over the sorcerer and cleric spell lists, and this combo will also work on the following spells:

Shocking Grasp
Contagion
Plane Shift

All decent spells, and the two features do a lot of good things for you even without the combo. Looking this over made me realize how many cleric spells are touch spells, you have suddenly made distant a high priority for me on my next divine soul sorcerer that I build.

Houster
2021-04-08, 04:00 PM
I love this. I went ahead and looked over the sorcerer and cleric spell lists, and this combo will also work on the following spells:

Shocking Grasp
Contagion
Plane Shift

All decent spells, and the two features do a lot of good things for you even without the combo. Looking this over made me realize how many cleric spells are touch spells, you have suddenly made distant a high priority for me on my next divine soul sorcerer that I build.

I absolutely love divine soul, even it being weaker than the tasha sorcs. Did not have the chance to play it yet, next char for sure.
I thought a ton about metamagic for D souls and found that really distant spell is the most synergetic one with clr spells, as twin is better for sorc spells and extend is just boring (get your aid hp for longer, yay...).
Distant really changes the nature of touch spells, making them something unique, meaningful and interesting. Also very tactical for any spell with 30ft range, or touch buffs(both lists) like invisibility, fly and death ward.

Don't forget about bestow curse, nasty debuff, now
made relevant because the monster won't(or less likely) smash you in their turn and kill your concentration. Or just smash you and kill you.