PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mental "rage" equivalent

traskomancer
2021-04-02, 01:32 PM
I've been toying around with a primary Int martial class concept, drawing on 3.5's Factotum and 4e's Warlord among other things. One idea I had was an Int-based equivalent for barbarian rage. I'm thinking along the lines of the Sherlock TV show where time slows down as he analyzes lots of little details and puts them together, or "treeing" in the Binti novellas, if you've read those. Basically putting the character's brain into overdrive for a short time.

This feature would obviously be useful out of combat, but I'd also want to make it good in combat. Some ideas I have would be basically Matrix bullet dodging by predicting the trajectory of projectiles and a significant buff to perception and/or investigation. Maybe also Initiative. What else could I add? Also, how much should it mechanically mirror rage?

Eric Diaz
2021-04-02, 09:41 PM
I've been toying around with a primary Int martial class concept, drawing on 3.5's Factotum and 4e's Warlord among other things. One idea I had was an Int-based equivalent for barbarian rage. I'm thinking along the lines of the Sherlock TV show where time slows down as he analyzes lots of little details and puts them together, or "treeing" in the Binti novellas, if you've read those. Basically putting the character's brain into overdrive for a short time.

This feature would obviously be useful out of combat, but I'd also want to make it good in combat. Some ideas I have would be basically Matrix bullet dodging by predicting the trajectory of projectiles and a significant buff to perception and/or investigation. Maybe also Initiative. What else could I add? Also, how much should it mechanically mirror rage?

Well, from what you're describing Action Surge seems to be a good start. Maybe a fighter subclass that allows you to use it outside combat, or make better use of it (although it is powerful as it is).

Also, the rogue inquisive has a bit about studying your foes.

Insightful Fighting
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to decipher an opponent’s tactics and develop a counter to them. As a bonus action, you make a Wisdom (Insight) check against a creature you can see that isn’t incapacitated, contested by the target’s Charisma (Deception) check. If you succeed, you can use your Sneak Attack against that target even if you don't have advantage on the attack roll, but not if you have disadvantage on it.
This benefit lasts for 1 minute or until you successfully use this feature against a different target.

Anymage
2021-04-03, 05:19 AM
The overlays in Sherlock are less about Holmes having more time to think than the rest of us, and more pointing out all the small details that we'd otherwise overlook. A super smartypants subclass should have that and some similar expertises going all the time.

The next question is just how much better you want "I've already predicted your every move" to be. (Because let's face it, you only turn up full power super brainiac in contests.). Advantage to all rolls/disadvantage on all rolls against you is strong and tracks with the Foresight spell (which feels identical to what a super predictor might do), but by its nature doesn't stack with other sources of advantage. Your brainiac has less incentive to take strategic positions that would otherwise advantage them. Turning that advantage into a +2 to rolls and AC makes it strong, but possibly too strong.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-04-03, 08:24 AM
The Killshot class on DMsguild does this, pls have a look.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/230326

St Fan
2021-04-03, 12:16 PM
Edition 3.5 had the Combat Form line of feats (Combat Focus and all the feats it's a prerequisite for) from Player's Handbook II are the closest to a "higher level of awareness in combat" you are looking for. (Though they are more WIS-based than INT-based.) You can get some inspiration from that.

In battle, you push aside the chaos of the fight and attain a focused state that grants you a keen, clear picture of the battle. Fear and pain ebb away as you focus solely on defeating your enemy.

The feats were of variable values depending on your build, but the most interesting, IMHO, was Combat Awareness: the only way (that I know off) of knowing the exact amount of hit points of every adjacent creatures.

traskomancer
2021-04-06, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all. I like your comparison to the foresight spell, Anymage.

St Fan, do you remember which book(s) had the Combat Form feats?