PDA

View Full Version : Wizard's Sanctum questions

schreier
2021-04-02, 11:22 PM
Trying to build a "cool" workshop for a high level wizard using canon items when possible.

So far I have:
Gremma's Cauldron - lets you brew potions without the feat, including higher level ones (Expedition to Undermountain pg. 217)
Quill of Scribing - scribes on its own so you can sleep (Complete Mage pg 134)
Hammer of the Weaponsmith +10 craft weapons skill (Races of Faerun pg 173)
Tongs of the Armorsmith (+10 craft armor) (Races of Faerun pg173)
Lava Forge Dragon 295 pg 39 (save 5% on metal item crafting)

The Races of Faerun mentioned an Anvil of the Blacksmith, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

There are forges in Races of Stone, but they are dwarf specific (I could refluff them, but actually like the Lava Forge)

Any other recommendations?
I also wanted to add plumbing - I saw in the city of union in the Epic Level Handbook where they used planar portals to the elemental plane of water to pipe water in (I assume it drains back into the same plane? Would you use constant flow toilets? flushing toilets? If so, into a bag of devouring or into the plane of water again) Could obviously go with decanters of endless water instead, but the planar portals align well with the lava forge.

Zanos
2021-04-03, 03:00 AM
Dedicated Wright?

Asmotherion
2021-04-03, 04:45 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is full of ideas on what you can build. I'd start by taking a look there.

Other than that, I'd put a deck of illusions lying around (or a Deck of Many Things, if your players can handle it). A Belt of Giant Strength next to the forge would also make sence, since we're talking about a Wizard.

Batcathat
2021-04-03, 04:55 AM
Any other recommendations?
I also wanted to add plumbing - I saw in the city of union in the Epic Level Handbook where they used planar portals to the elemental plane of water to pipe water in (I assume it drains back into the same plane? Would you use constant flow toilets? flushing toilets? If so, into a bag of devouring or into the plane of water again) Could obviously go with decanters of endless water instead, but the planar portals align well with the lava forge.

This reminds me of one of the characters in Off to be the wizard whose toilet is above a small portal. Later it turns out that the other end of the portal is in the air above a big statue of his old friend/rival. Something like that might be of interest to a childish and/or petty wizard. :smallamused:

schreier
2021-04-03, 12:37 PM
Dedicated Wright?

I did that, even getting him an amulet of freedom of speech (An Icy Heart pg 6) - so he could speak. Some people use the pearl of speech, but there is significant debate if it grants knowledge of a language or "the power of speech" while there is no debate about the amulet. Also use Improved Honomculus feat

I do like the idea of the portal above the statue :)
I wonder - if you had an activated "purify food and water" - would that remove waste from the water?

Silly Name
2021-04-03, 08:08 PM
I wonder - if you had an activated "purify food and water" - would that remove waste from the water?

Obviously not the intended use, but I'd say the wording of the spell definitely supports cleansing water from urine or any other fluid (blood, alcohol, etc). I'd be inclined to say it doesn't remove solids, but it can certainly purify the water from whatever contaminants were on those solids.

Saintheart
2021-04-03, 08:12 PM
Have a retired Wizard master live there. That way you can pick up the Apprentice feat for 10% off item creation :smallbiggrin:

aglondier
2021-04-04, 08:46 AM
BECMI D&D had a nifty little object in the back of the Principalities of Glantri gazetter. A wizards laboratory and research library...in a bottle. It was like a pocket dimension contained in a bottle. And it was one of the possible treasures you could walk away from your graduation testing with.

schreier
2021-04-04, 08:48 PM
BECMI D&D had a nifty little object in the back of the Principalities of Glantri gazetter. A wizards laboratory and research library...in a bottle. It was like a pocket dimension contained in a bottle. And it was one of the possible treasures you could walk away from your graduation testing with.

Is that the world in a bottle in page 92?

It gates you into a pocket universe, a small outer plane of 40' in diameter by 10 feet high, with an alchemist's laboratory.

Looking inside, you see a small student, and when it turns around, it's you - then you find yourself inside, and the prisoner (a red imp named Diabolus) is now outside.

The lab cannot be broken from the inside, and you can exit via dimension door. It has food, a library for research up to level 4 spells, and all components needed.

The plane has a time adjustment - one day in the plane is a single turn in the real world.

Skysaber
2021-04-05, 06:16 PM
Is that the world in a bottle in page 92?

It gates you into a pocket universe, a small outer plane of 40' in diameter by 10 feet high, with an alchemist's laboratory.

Looking inside, you see a small student, and when it turns around, it's you - then you find yourself inside, and the prisoner (a red imp named Diabolus) is now outside.

The lab cannot be broken from the inside, and you can exit via dimension door. It has food, a library for research up to level 4 spells, and all components needed.

The plane has a time adjustment - one day in the plane is a single turn in the real world.

Sounds great. What sourcebook was that again?

schreier
2021-04-05, 07:08 PM
Sounds great. What sourcebook was that again?

GAZ 3 Gazetteer - The Principalities of Glantri

Pg 92 - "8. A World in a Bottle"

thorr-kan
2021-04-05, 07:49 PM
GAZ 3 Gazetteer - The Principalities of Glantri

Pg 92 - "8. A World in a Bottle"

What does the Imp do while he's free?

schreier
2021-04-05, 10:09 PM
What does the Imp do while he's free?

On the middle table is a bottle that glows an eerie aura.
Inside is a tiny laboratory with someone working. When the student approaches to observe the bottle, the person inside turns around and shows its face: the student's. Immediately, the student and the tiny prisoner are transposed. The student finds himself in the bottle, and the prisoner appears outside.

The ex-prisoner was a red imp by the name of Diabolus. After sinister laughter, Diabolus warns the student that he will never let him out of the bottle, unless he signs a special contract with him, signing of his own blood. An ESP should warn the student the imp is not lying, but his intentions are chaotic. If the student accepts, he loses his soul to the laughing imp, but the creature drops a magical scroll that will enable the student to leave this area. For his own sake, the imp disappears for some time.

If the student refuses, the imp stays in the laboratory, laughing and tormenting his captive. The bottle cannot be broken from the inside, but the student stays in the laboratory, laughing and tormenting his captive ...

If the student gets out using his newly acquired magic, the imp will cower to one end of the laboratory, begging for mercy. He pulls out a magical scroll that bears the secret to leave this area. If the PC approaches, he threatens to rip the scroll apart. He lies. He has been the victim of a geas that forces him to turn over the scroll to the student if the student has clearly defeated him. Diabolus will try again to have the student sign the wicked contract, but if the student refuses again, the imp is teleported into the bottle and drops the scroll on the floor.

The student may take the bottle and the imp with him.

thorr-kan
2021-04-06, 08:44 AM
So not w/o it's risks. Thanks!

schreier
2021-04-06, 11:38 AM
So not w/o it's risks. Thanks!

I think that is when you originally find the bottle. I would say, one you have the bottle and the spell to go in and out, that you can control it with or without the Imp. You could even kill him or banish him probably (it isn't clear in the adventure).

So ... risk in obtaining it, but once you have the spell to go in and out, it seems fine. The time is a huge benefit obviously.

It is a 2.0 book, so I tried to write it up as a reusable item once the imp is removed (pretty straight conversion). It sounds like the imp was in the bottle as a test for students rather than being integral to the magic item itself.

This large glass bottle appears to hold a complete alchemist’s laboratory, Upon uttering the proper command word, a user shrinks to one inch in height and transports inside the bottle. Another command word returns the user to the outside world, standing near the bottle. If the bottle is held in a container and there is not enough room for them immediately outside the bottle, they are unable to use the command word to exit the bottle. If there is room (including if it is in an extradimensional space), the user will appear next to the bottle. The bottle cannot be broken from the inside, but dimension door does work and teleport do allow travel from the bottle.

Within the bottle, the laboratory is complete with worktables, beakers, retorts, crucibles, and shelves with hundreds of books and jars. It contains a wide variety of arcane components, as well as an exhaustive library. The space is actually a small demi-plane, 40 feet in diameter and 10 feet high. If the user looks outside the bottle, they will see a strange cuckoo clock. The pendulum is nearly immobile, although the user will notice it changes slightly when they are not looking. Time flows differently while in the laboratory; one full day passes in the laboratory for each minute in the real world. Other than time, the plane has standard traits, with a breathable atmosphere and regular gravity.

aglondier
2021-04-06, 07:41 PM
I can't really see the bottle being breakable from the outside either, since it's not really a bottle more an interface between the prime and your pocket dimension.
The imp wouldn't be integral to the functioning of the lab but, once defeated, would make a capable lab assistant.

Quite an impressive item to be beginning your career as a wizard with, I would say...