PDA

View Full Version : Mounted combatant and team optimizations

Quoz
2021-04-03, 09:58 AM
In response to some newer players in my party having particularly squishy builds, I recently rolled up a new character. Using the Tasha's custom origin rules I made a small character (goblin) with mounted combatant to cover for our warlock's low AC. One level in Stone Sorcerer and a con of 18 gives me an AC of 19 before Shield, and I can redirect all attacks aimed at my 'mount' to myself. And my levels in warlock give me fun options like shadow of moil and armor of agathys make attacking either of us a painful prospect.

Its gotten me thinking, how OP could a pair of optimized characters get with this tactic? There are a lot of variations.

The rider can go either go for ridiculous AC or low AC and punishment - like an abjuration wizard with dips or feats for armor of agathys and heavy armor master. Since they won't be using movement on their turn, being able to switch between ranged and melee options is a high priority.

The mount character, now not having to worry about AC, can take a few more risks defensively to boost offense. This could be a min maxed gish or a reckless attacking barbarian. Boosting mobility is a higher concern. Finding a way to pick up Warding Bond to cast on the rider effectively merges the two into a single character, now sharing HP, AC, and mobility while doubling the effectiveness of Armor of Agathys or other HP boosters.

So what are your thoughts? Its a fairly broad concept and I haven't taken the time to do full builds on it yet, but I think it has some potential to have GMs ripping their hair out at me.

Unoriginal
2021-04-03, 04:21 PM
In response to some newer players in my party having particularly squishy builds, I recently rolled up a new character. Using the Tasha's custom origin rules I made a small character (goblin) with mounted combatant to cover for our warlock's low AC. One level in Stone Sorcerer and a con of 18 gives me an AC of 19 before Shield, and I can redirect all attacks aimed at my 'mount' to myself. And my levels in warlock give me fun options like shadow of moil and armor of agathys make attacking either of us a painful prospect.

Its gotten me thinking, how OP could a pair of optimized characters get with this tactic? There are a lot of variations.

I don't understand how your Mounted Combatant helps with the other character's AC.

Dalinar
2021-04-03, 05:21 PM
I don't understand how your Mounted Combatant helps with the other character's AC.

He means to use Mounted Combatant's "force attacks targeting my mount to target me" creatively by using a fellow PC as a mount, thereby tanking all attacks that PC would take and giving them more leeway to optimize for things that aren't AC.

DwarfFighter
2021-04-03, 05:37 PM
He means to use Mounted Combatant's "force attacks targeting my mount to target me" creatively by using a fellow PC as a mount, thereby tanking all attacks that PC would take and giving them more leeway to optimize for things that aren't AC.

Jeez.

A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount, using the following rules.

As a GM I feel it is within my right to rule that a humanoid does not have the appropriate anatomy to serve as a mount.

-DF

stoutstien
2021-04-03, 07:32 PM
Jeez.

A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount, using the following rules.

As a GM I feel it is within my right to rule that a humanoid does not have the appropriate anatomy to serve as a mount.

-DF
Eh. Well within any DMs right but it's a pretty limited combo and can be destroyed by any forced movement. About right for a feat based strategy.

On the subject of humanoids being mounts I can't see a logical reasoning to disallow it based on anatomy. Humans can carry or haul a ridiculous amount of weight on thier back and shoulders for a long time where elephants suffer from long term damage while only acting as mounts for people who weigh a fraction of themselves. let alone treating them as pack animals.

DnD PCs are even more impressive with standing long jumps good enough to be concerned above average while carring a few sacks of gold, a full pack, and 20 weapons. I don't think carring a goblins on their back is a big deal.

JackPhoenix
2021-04-04, 06:08 AM
Besides the mentioned, do you think the other players want a goblin to climb on their characters?

DwarfFighter
2021-04-04, 06:23 AM
Besides the mentioned, do you think the other players want a goblin to climb on their characters?

Some players are willing to cast Guidance every minute of every waking hour for the 1d4 bonus to ability checks. Yes, at least one of those will let a goblin ride their back for the buff and the lulz.

-DF