PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Help with Alloyed Hide Power from Hyperconscious?

AchillesReborn
2021-04-03, 03:05 PM
I'm specifically requesting help with the psionic power "Alloyed Hide" on page 93 of Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics. It's a psion/psywar power that gives damage reduction and can be augmented to give a different/greater type of DR. I'll copy/paste the text of the power below for easier reference.

"Your outer skin takes on the sheen and strength of hard glass, giving you some resistance to blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes. You gain damage reduction 5/bludgeoning (or DR 5/+2). (You ignore the first 5 points of damage each time you take damage from a weapon, though a bludgeoning weapon bypasses the reduction.) Once the power has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per manifester level (maximum 150 points), it is discharged.

Augment
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.

If you spend 2 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of mineral, giving you damage reduction 5/magic (or DR 8/+3). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of iron, providing damage reduction 5/mithral (or DR 15/+6). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations.
If you spend 6 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of adamantine, providing damage reduction 10/adamantine (or DR 20/+7). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations."

The part I'm having difficulty understanding is when it says:
You gain damage reduction 5/bludgeoning (or DR 5/+2).
damage reduction 5/magic (or DR 8/+3).
damage reduction 5/mithral (or DR 15/+6).
damage reduction 10/adamantine (or DR 20/+7).

I'm familiar with psionic powers and know how augmentations work. I would understand if it simply gave DR 5/bludgeoning or DR 5/magic, etc. What I don't understand is the "(or DR 5/+2), (or DR 8/+3)." Does this mean a single manifestation of the power gives you two forms of damage reduction and when damaged, you apply whichever is better? Does this mean you have two options to pick between and must choose one when the power is manifested? Is there some rule about Damage Reduction I don't understand? Please advise.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-03, 03:11 PM
I'm specifically requesting help with the psionic power "Alloyed Hide" on page 93 of Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics. It's a psion/psywar power that gives damage reduction and can be augmented to give a different/greater type of DR. I'll copy/paste the text of the power below for easier reference.

"Your outer skin takes on the sheen and strength of hard glass, giving you some resistance to blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes. You gain damage reduction 5/bludgeoning (or DR 5/+2). (You ignore the first 5 points of damage each time you take damage from a weapon, though a bludgeoning weapon bypasses the reduction.) Once the power has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per manifester level (maximum 150 points), it is discharged.

Augment
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.

If you spend 2 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of mineral, giving you damage reduction 5/magic (or DR 8/+3). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of iron, providing damage reduction 5/mithral (or DR 15/+6). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations.
If you spend 6 additional power points, your skin takes on the sheen and strength of adamantine, providing damage reduction 10/adamantine (or DR 20/+7). This augmentation doesn't stack with the primary effect or other augmentations."

The part I'm having difficulty understanding is when it says:
You gain damage reduction 5/bludgeoning (or DR 5/+2).
damage reduction 5/magic (or DR 8/+3).
damage reduction 5/mithral (or DR 15/+6).
damage reduction 10/adamantine (or DR 20/+7).

I'm familiar with psionic powers and know how augmentations work. I would understand if it simply gave DR 5/bludgeoning or DR 5/magic, etc. What I don't understand is the "(or DR 5/+2), (or DR 8/+3)." Does this mean a single manifestation of the power gives you two forms of damage reduction and when damaged, you apply whichever is better? Does this mean you have two options to pick between and must choose one when the power is manifested? Is there some rule about Damage Reduction I don't understand? Please advise.It's for people who are playing 3.0 rather than 3.5. In 3.0, a lot of DR required a certain amount of enhancement bonus to overcome, but in 3.5 that was revised to DR/Magic, DR/Cold Iron, DR/Alchemical Silver, etc.

Hyperconscious was originally written during 3.0, but the 3.5 revision caused them to revise their own work, and now Hyperconscious is 3.5-compatible (with some left in for 3.0'ers).

InvisibleBison
2021-04-03, 03:13 PM
It looks like the power is giving you a choice between two different kinds of damage reduction.

AchillesReborn
2021-04-03, 03:20 PM
It's for people who are playing 3.0 rather than 3.5. In 3.0, a lot of DR required a certain amount of enhancement bonus to overcome, but in 3.5 that was revised to DR/Magic, DR/Cold Iron, DR/Alchemical Silver, etc.

Hyperconscious was originally written during 3.0, but the 3.5 revision caused them to revise their own work, and now Hyperconscious is 3.5-compatible (with some left in for 3.0'ers).

I see, so essentially you can just ignore the (or DR 5/+2) if you're playing 3.5 because that option is for people playing 3.0?

Edit: Thanks for the reply btw.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-03, 04:19 PM
I see, so essentially you can just ignore the (or DR 5/+2) if you're playing 3.5 because that option is for people playing 3.0?Yep. The only time the enhancement bonus total matters (aside from counting as a magic weapon for DR/Magic) is if it's +6 or better, for DR/Epic. Note that the augmentation doesn't translate this, since it's DR/Mithral and DR/Adamantine, instead of DR/Epic.

Also for very specific requirements, such as weapon augment crystals, from the MIC.

Edit: Thanks for the reply btw.You're quite welcome.