PDA

View Full Version : Deck of Many Things - Inherent Bonuses

Lost_Avatar
2007-11-10, 12:25 PM
In our campaign we had a character pull The Star out of a Deck of Many Things twice in a row. He wanted to place both bonuses on his Dexterity as he was a rogue. When using wishes they state that the inherent bonuses may stack if used consecutively. Some in the party argued that he could do this, some argued he couldn't. In the end he placed it on another stat to keep peace but I'd like a second opinion.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 12:26 PM
Did he take them out in consecutive rounds? If so, he can use it. If not, no.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-10, 12:32 PM
He wanted to place both bonuses on his Dexterity as he was a rogue.

By RAW, he can't, simply because there's nothing that says that he can. That a Wish specifically allows this has nothing whatsoever to do with what some kind of magical item (e.g. the Deck) does.

"modifiers to a given check or roll ... do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession)"

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 12:47 PM
Hmmm....'cept for the Moon, but that works via wish.

Chronos
2007-11-10, 12:59 PM
The inherent modifiers from a Wish don't stack. It's not "use one wish to gain a +1, and then use another wish to gain another +1". It's "use two wishes in immediate succession to get a +2". It's a single bonus. If, later on, you get another wish, you can't add it on: In order to wish that score higher, you'd need to use three or more wishes, to give a larger bonus to replace the older, smaller one.

MobiusKlein
2007-11-10, 01:20 PM
I believe it says "Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score"

So any stat that already has an inherent bonus greater than or equal to +2 will have no effect, as per standard stacking rules. (no matter what the source was for the previous inherent bonus.)

Cybren
2007-11-10, 10:42 PM
I believe this requires clarification of what "immediate succession" means.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-10, 10:50 PM
I believe this requires clarification of what "immediate succession" means.

Within the next round. Basically, don't think of it as:

"I wish for a +1 inherent ability bonus."
(+1 bonus)
"I wish for another +1 inherent ability bonus to that same score."
(+2 bonus)

But rather as:

"I wish to prepare for a +2 inherent ability bonus."
"I wish for a +2 inherent ability bonus."
(+2 bonus)

Yakk
2007-11-10, 11:20 PM
However, note that inherit bonus magic items are linear in price unlike any other kind of +bonus effect, at least up to +5.

I'd simply allow inherit bonuses to stack up to +5. It is a houserule, but it does simplify a lot of things.

Jack Zander
2007-11-11, 12:36 AM
However, note that inherit bonus magic items are linear in price unlike any other kind of +bonus effect, at least up to +5.

I'd simply allow inherit bonuses to stack up to +5. It is a houserule, but it does simplify a lot of things.

That's a houserule? Dang, I've been using that houserule for 3 years now...