PDA

View Full Version : RAW/TO infinite psicrystals?

rrwoods
2021-04-04, 10:14 PM
Am I missing something here?

Be a manifester with at least 3 hit dice, take Psicrystal Affinity. Your psicrystal has 3 hit dice (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm). Make one of its feats Wild Talent, qualifying it for Psicrystal Affinity. Repeat ad infinitum.

(Is this already well-established as RAW possible?)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-04, 10:26 PM
Am I missing something here?

Be a manifester with at least 3 hit dice, take Psicrystal Affinity. Your psicrystal has 3 hit dice (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm). Make one of its feats Wild Talent, qualifying it for Psicrystal Affinity. Repeat ad infinitum.

(Is this already well-established as RAW possible?)Wild Talent doesn't give you a manifester level, and Hidden Talent explicitly doesn't qualify as one.

A [Host] feat, though...

But then, all psicrystals gained in this manner will have 0 HD (due to not being psions or wilders) and will die immediately upon creation.

rrwoods
2021-04-04, 10:52 PM
Wild Talent doesn't give you a manifester level, and Hidden Talent explicitly doesn't qualify as one.

A [Host] feat, though...

But then, all psicrystals gained in this manner will have 0 HD (due to not being psions or wilders) and will die immediately upon creation.

Oh I'm a moron, I totally missed "(counting only levels in psion or wilder)". Ignore me.

(Though, that's a really odd way to word "your levels in your manifesting class", like why even say Hit Dice when it's not counting HD at all?)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-04, 11:01 PM
Oh I'm a moron, I totally missed "(counting only levels in psion or wilder)". Ignore me.

(Though, that's a really odd way to word "your levels in your manifesting class", like why even say Hit Dice when it's not counting HD at all?)It really screws over other manifesting classes, preventing psychic warriors, ardents, lurks, psychic rogues, psionic artificers, war minds, etc, who can't have psicrystals at all.

RSGA
2021-04-05, 01:57 AM
What happens to a creature with 0 Hit Die and HP? Because while the HD should be 0 by RAW, also by RAW it still has HP not based only on Psion/Wilder levels, extra abilities based on master's psionic class levels, and the construct immunites.

Bohandas
2021-04-05, 02:56 AM
It's worth pointing out that as a construct the psicrystal may not strictly need a well defined number of hitdice. Case in point, inteloigent items are constructs without a well defined number of HD. And psicrystals have an intelligent-item like vibe to begin with

Raishoiken
2021-04-05, 03:43 PM
It's worth pointing out that as a construct the psicrystal may not strictly need a well defined number of hitdice. Case in point, inteloigent items are constructs without a well defined number of HD. And psicrystals have an intelligent-item like vibe to begin with

This is actually something that has tripped me out. I always figured to default to animated object hd based in size but thats not a rule set in stone

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-05, 04:02 PM
It's worth pointing out that as a construct the psicrystal may not strictly need a well defined number of hitdice. Case in point, inteloigent items are constructs without a well defined number of HD. And psicrystals have an intelligent-item like vibe to begin withYes, but intelligent items are also objects, which can exist without HD. Psicrystals are bona fide creatures. They cannot. The same rules don't apply.

Zanos
2021-04-05, 04:27 PM
What happens to a creature with 0 Hit Die and HP? Because while the HD should be 0 by RAW, also by RAW it still has HP not based only on Psion/Wilder levels, extra abilities based on master's psionic class levels, and the construct immunites.
Well, you would have negative levels(0) equal to your hit dice(0), so you would become a wight.

So we've actually found a trick to create infinite, uncontrolled wights!

rrwoods
2021-04-05, 07:02 PM
Well, you would have negative levels(0) equal to your hit dice(0), so you would become a wight.

So we've actually found a trick to create infinite, uncontrolled wights!

A cursory search tells me you only invoke this rule if the psicrystal actually has a negative level:

Energy Drained

The character gains one or more negative levels, which might permanently drain the character’s levels. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies. Each negative level gives a creature the following penalties: -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks; loss of 5 hit points; and -1 to effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities). In addition, a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from the highest spell level castable.

"The subject" of what? Of an energy drain effect. If the psicrystal isn't being subject to an energy drain effect, it can't die for having too many negative levels.

Also, "becomes a wight" I think is only part of the text of certain creatures which inflict negative levels.

Zanos
2021-04-05, 08:13 PM
The subject" of what? Of an energy drain effect. If the psicrystal isn't being subject to an energy drain effect, it can't die for having too many negative levels.
It's entirely probable that that 'rules' for a 0 HD would be inconsistent.

Also, "becomes a wight" I think is only part of the text of certain creatures which inflict negative levels.
This is more concrete, any creature that dies from level loss becomes a wight, unless stated otherwise. That bit is a generic portion of the level drain rules(and causes spells like enervation and stuff like fell drain to create wights if they kill the target.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-05, 08:23 PM
Ironically, an Evil creature who holds too many Holy arrows will die and rise as an evil undead abomination. Too much Good for his own good, I guess.

Bohandas
2021-04-06, 12:47 AM
A cursory search tells me you only invoke this rule if the psicrystal actually has a negative level:

"The subject" of what? Of an energy drain effect. If the psicrystal isn't being subject to an energy drain effect, it can't die for having too many negative levels.

More to the point, the SRD defines undead as follows "Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces." and therefore a construct would not be eligible to become undead regardless (unless it was a living consteuct (like the warforged) or made of meat (like a flesh golem), neither of which is the case here)