PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Nerf question?

dnd2016
2021-04-05, 10:03 AM
Hey guys. Did artificer get nerfed after he came out in Tasha's or before?

Aett_Thorn
2021-04-05, 10:17 AM
Are you talking about a specific nerf? Or are you just asking in general?

stoutstien
2021-04-05, 10:23 AM
They got a both a subtle buffs and one of the most abusable low level combos In Tasha. both the homunculus and SD more open action options and better recover with HD. They also have better mid level Infusions options.

Then there is the spellwrought tattoo. Without some form of DM limit it can get silly fast.

Silpharon
2021-04-05, 10:57 AM
Seems like a strong class to me. Alchemist is generally considered the weakest, but you can do some cool stuff with multiclassing. For instance getting some Sorcerer levels (2+Metamagic adept or 3) provides twinned spell. Combine that with All-Purpose Tool granting Toll the Dead, and you can do 1-4 d8-12 + int_mod to two targets with one sorcery point. That's 62 average damage total at max strength. Empowered metamagic with 14 Cha takes that to 73 average damage... Prayer of Healing from a Divine Soul Sorcerer gets a nice int_mod boost as well.

Amdy_vill
2021-04-05, 05:53 PM
Hey guys. Did artificer get nerfed after he came out in Tasha's or before?

yes, several changes were made so made it better others made it worse but there were more nerfs than buffs. the biggest in my mind is the removal of the xanathars magic items. there is a line in Eberron saying you can replicate any of the xanathars common items I believe it is the lowest level replicate magic item.

Millstone85
2021-04-05, 06:32 PM
there were more nerfs than buffs. the biggest in my mind is the removal of the xanathars magic items. there is a line in Eberron saying you can replicate any of the xanathars common itemsThen your biggest nerf is actually a buff, because Tasha's replaces that line with one saying you can replicate any common magic item in the game (except for potions and scrolls). That would include all the common items presented in Xanathar's, and then more.

ImproperJustice
2021-04-05, 06:42 PM
I’ve played an Alchemist in both pre and post Tasha’s.

I much prefer the latest version. More versatile, more team friendly and just grants more tools to use.

dnd2016
2021-04-05, 08:42 PM
Thx guys. Reading up on battlesmith artificer now. No way to get arcane weapon using Tasha's?

Silpharon
2021-04-05, 08:49 PM
Thx guys. Reading up on battlesmith artificer now. No way to get arcane weapon using Tasha's?

Nope, but you could dip 1 level into Genie warlock if you want a certain element. Also, Artificer Armorer gets lightning and thunder weapons in Tasha's. For Battlesmith, I like returning weapon infusion on a dart, then pick up archery and thrown weapons fighting styles through multiclassing and/or feats. The new Quick toss maneuver is good with that too, as is Sharpshooter.

kore
2021-04-06, 11:45 AM
TCE Artificer is a blast, no nerf as far as I can tell. Changes to some Infusion levels and controlling Steel Defender (and other "summons") are buffs.

Currently playing a Battle Smith at L11 and a friend is playing an Artillerist. He mounts his Eldritch Cannon on my SD for all sorts of fun.

DarknessEternal
2021-04-06, 02:52 PM
Then there is the spellwrought tattoo.

What do you think the Artificer specific interaction with Spellwrought Tattoo is?

stoutstien
2021-04-06, 03:13 PM
What do you think the Artificer specific interaction with Spellwrought Tattoo is?
Everyone having a familiar after a week is the big one. Other than that it actually a pretty nice infusion balance and flavor wise.

Millstone85
2021-04-06, 04:08 PM
Everyone having a familiar after a week is the big one. Other than that it actually a pretty nice infusion balance and flavor wise.But not elegant game design. Tasha's specifically forbids the replication of scrolls, then the same book introduces an item that is the perfect loophole around that limitation. No sir, I can't infuse a piece of paper so you can cast find familiar out of it, but a needle on the other hand...

DarknessEternal
2021-04-06, 05:29 PM
Ooh boy, 1st level spells. Big whoop.

Silpharon
2021-04-06, 08:01 PM

I agree, find familiar is likely the only "big" issue, but that one can be mitigated (if it's even a problem) through DMs making it more challenging to keep familiars alive.

As for familiar "chains" where each familiar gets a familiar that gets a familiar and so on, familiars have very low int, so they cannot effectively command subsequent familiars. As a DM, this can be a fun way to stop the chain: institute a "phone game" where the message gets scrambled. For instance: the PC points and says "familiar#2 drop the bomb on his head" becomes "familiar#2 drop the bomb on Ted" (your teammate). Oops!

stoutstien
2021-04-07, 10:34 AM

It's probably as powerful as a feat and it's sharable. Might be the strongest infusion pick before level 6 depending on how much the +1 weapon or spell focus can be leveraged.

Definitely not a nerf.

Silpharon
2021-04-07, 05:47 PM
It's probably as powerful as a feat and it's sharable. Might be the strongest infusion pick before level 6 depending on how much the +1 weapon or spell focus can be leveraged.

Definitely not a nerf.

The thing that's not clear to me is whether you need to lock in the spell when you take the infusion, or if each morning a different spell can be infused.

I'm running an Armorer at level 3 and don't have it picked. Enhanced weapon and Homunculus Servant are more useful. At level 6 I'll likely add Enhanced Defense. At level 9 is when I'd grab Spellwrought Tattoo with Shield/Zephyr Strike/Hex.

I personally think having a familiar 'help' on every turn is unrealistic, and right now the Homunculus Servant is more practical for bonus action damage. I may get a familiar post level-11 for a concentration sink for using Faerie Fire from a spell storing Item.