PDA

View Full Version : Character Build Help: Trainer

blackjack50
2021-04-05, 05:52 PM
So I am looking to get some suggestions. I have some specifics in mind of what I want and how I will RP this character. What I’m not sure about is race/class/background for stats.

This character is going to be a former veteran of some kind. He is backstory is that he teaches people how to fight. He is a combat expert. His military job was to go in as a force multiplier and training people. He might start gyms or something along those lines to teach people to be effective militia. Or at the very least capable of protecting their farms and such.

So. I was thinking a Cleric would be effective. But then I got to thinking about what would be taught: spears, axes, picks, and improvised weapons. So what do you all think? Who might be effective with these?

Rukelnikov
2021-04-05, 07:35 PM
So I am looking to get some suggestions. I have some specifics in mind of what I want and how I will RP this character. What I’m not sure about is race/class/background for stats.

This character is going to be a former veteran of some kind. He is backstory is that he teaches people how to fight. He is a combat expert. His military job was to go in as a force multiplier and training people. He might start gyms or something along those lines to teach people to be effective militia. Or at the very least capable of protecting their farms and such.

So. I was thinking a Cleric would be effective. But then I got to thinking about what would be taught: spears, axes, picks, and improvised weapons. So what do you all think? Who might be effective with these?

I'm not sure this is what you are going for, but I had a character that may go in the same vein. He was a foreman and, as such, used to bossing ppl around, so I went Lore Bard and reflavored Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words as my characther barking orders. He then went Cleric of Bahamut (homebrewed) for story reasons, and reflavored spirit guardians as him summoning his dead companions, in a loyalty after death manner and such. If not for the cleric stuff I planned to go Mastermind rogue for the bonus action ranged Help, which was gonna be more bossing around like "Focus on your enemy", "Attack the joints", "POSTURE!" and stuff like that.

Other things I considered while thinking to stat him originally were going Battlemaster for Commander's Strike, but it felt like too many levels for that, and a feat felt like an even greater investment for a 1/sr use of it. Now you can also get Commander's Strike with a single level of Fighter by taking the Fighting Style that grants a maneuver.

Order Cleric is also very good, allowing you to grant others attacks outside of their turn.

Unoriginal
2021-04-05, 07:38 PM

Battle Master Fighter is certainly the most direct way to do this, with the manoeuvres Commander's Strike and Commanding Presence.

Proficiency in improvised weapons requires the Tavern Brawler feat.

In term of Background, Folk Hero, Soldier and Athlete probably are the closest of what you want. A custom background with similar flavor and benefits is of course on the table.

sayaijin
2021-04-05, 07:45 PM
So I actually kind of like Mastermind rogue for this. If your DM is open to UA material there's a new hobgoblin race that gives extra bonuses on help actions.

This would be someone who maybe isn't as fast as they used to be (only one precise attack instead of multiple attacks), but they can tell you exactly how to land a hit. So they're constantly spamming help as a bonus action and maybe even as their action.

blackjack50
2021-04-05, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure this is what you are going for, but I had a character that may go in the same vein. He was a foreman and, as such, used to bossing ppl around, so I went Lore Bard and reflavored Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words as my characther barking orders. He then went Cleric of Bahamut (homebrewed) for story reasons, and reflavored spirit guardians as him summoning his dead companions, in a loyalty after death manner and such. If not for the cleric stuff I planned to go Mastermind rogue for the bonus action ranged Help, which was gonna be more bossing around like "Focus on your enemy", "Attack the joints", "POSTURE!" and stuff like that.

Other things I considered while thinking to stat him originally were going Battlemaster for Commander's Strike, but it felt like too many levels for that, and a feat felt like an even greater investment for a 1/sr use of it. Now you can also get Commander's Strike with a single level of Fighter by taking the Fighting Style that grants a maneuver.

Order Cleric is also very good, allowing you to grant others attacks outside of their turn.

Well. I’m looking more to be able have skills that train people (which charisma helps), but I definitely need the ability to fight. A monk would work too, but I’ve done that to death, so I’m looking to make it more like a “retired soldier/cop” opens a gym kind of cliche. I just like the motif.

blackjack50
2021-04-05, 08:45 PM
So I actually kind of like Mastermind rogue for this. If your DM is open to UA material there's a new hobgoblin race that gives extra bonuses on help actions.

This would be someone who maybe isn't as fast as they used to be (only one precise attack instead of multiple attacks), but they can tell you exactly how to land a hit. So they're constantly spamming help as a bonus action and maybe even as their action.

I like it. I’m trying to think over other options. I liked paladin and cleric only because I’ve not played them, but I like not having to manage many spells lol.

sayaijin
2021-04-06, 05:27 AM
I like it. I’m trying to think over other options. I liked paladin and cleric only because I’ve not played them, but I like not having to manage many spells lol.

Then I think it's just what kind of veteran they are. If they were part of a noble army and had the favor of the gods upon them, then cleric or paladin makes a lot of sense. If they were part of an enemy army and maybe that want to keep their identity secret then rogue could make sense.

It's also very different play styles. With cleric or paladin, your spells give you a lot of versatility in and out of combat. With Mastermind rogue, you're pretty much going to always bonus action help whoever your training and then either attempt a sneak attack or regular action help also. If you get the hobgoblin race I mentioned then you get to choose what kind of bonus to give with each help, but otherwise it could get a little boring.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-06, 01:07 PM
Order Paladin.

Heals nearby allies but only if they're at half health, locks down enemies to prevent them from fleeing (useful for "practice"), can soak damage for adjacent allies.

Basically, it is a subclass that supports you only if you're not a coward.

JonBeowulf
2021-04-06, 07:32 PM
My first thought was Dragonborn Battlemaster with the Soldier background and decent CHA... it's pretty much exactly what you described.

After reading the replies, though, I like Order Paladin... but I'd prob still go with Dragonborn and the Soldier background.

blackjack50
2021-04-07, 08:04 PM
Thank you all for the help. :) I’m still not sure. But I’ve got time to fiddle with this a little. I like paladin and the battle master fighter