PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help wording a feature (totally-not-Mystic-Arcanum)

Kane0
2021-04-05, 09:07 PM
So I've been tinkering with a spell-point variation of the sorcerer, and as part of this have decided it's probably best not to lump the 6th through 9th spell slots into the point pool to somewhat counter low level spell spam.

What i'm going to do is give individual spells ala how Warlock handles its 6th+ casting, but I do want to allow sorcerers the usual benefits of spell slots like upcasting, more spells known you can choose from, etc.

So what would be a good way to word what is essentially Mystic Arcanum but regular spell slots? Note I do want these to basically function as an additional uncounted 4 spells known too, which eases another concern i'm dealing with.

Greywander
2021-04-05, 10:17 PM
I don't quite understand what you're asking. It seems like what you're looking for is either Mystic Arcanum (if each "slot" is linked to a specific spell) or just giving them spell slots for levels 6+ (if the slots can be used for any spell). If you're looking for something that's linked to a specific spell like Mystic Arcanum but allows lower level spells to be upcast... then it seems like the best option is still regular spell slots for levels 6+, but with the caveat that the sorcerer can only learn one 6th level spell, one 7th level spell, one 8th level spell, and one 9th level spell, i.e. these spells are separate/in addition to their normal spells known, which are restricted to spells of levels 1st through 5th.

So yeah, just give them slots for spells of 6th+ level. Spells known are restricted to 1st level through 5th level, and each time they gain a spell slot for 6th+ level they get to learn one single spell for that specific level.