PDA

View Full Version : Battle Smith artificer build help

dnd2016
2021-04-06, 02:37 PM
So it's 15,14,13,12,11,10...and a +1 to any stat,and -2 to any stat. If I go custom lineage was thinking 18 on int to start and 14 dex and 13 con. Didn't really want my con that low though. If I go gnome I can have 14 in dex and con. And then I don't know what feat to take. Should I just lock in sharpshooter now with possibly either crossbow expert later or just regular bow attacks.warcaster? If I stay ranged maybe I don't need war caster so much. If I grab a decent feat now even though I don't really need it I can just get the int to 20 at 4th level. I plan on being small size to ride steel companion. Am I missing any other good races? Pretty new to this class. Thoughts please?

Waazraath
2021-04-06, 02:46 PM
So it's 15,14,13,12,11,10...and a +1 to any stat,and -2 to any stat. If I go custom lineage was thinking 18 on int to start and 14 dex and 13 con. Didn't really want my con that low though. If I go gnome I can have 14 in dex and con. And then I don't know what feat to take. Should I just lock in sharpshooter now with possibly either crossbow expert later or just regular bow attacks.warcaster? If I stay ranged maybe I don't need war caster so much. If I grab a decent feat now even though I don't really need it I can just get the int to 20 at 4th level. I plan on being small size to ride steel companion. Am I missing any other good races? Pretty new to this class. Thoughts please?

I think you have it worked out already, mostly; Battle Smith crossbow archer is very strong, defensive, offensive and with strong utility and buffs. I'd always pick a race that gives feats, either vhuman or custom: you want CE and SS as soon as possible, and I think CE first: the extra attack is just too good at early levels. In my experience (lvl 10 same build) you won't need Warcaster at all... don't think I ever failed a save (don't forget you can give yoursellf a +int modifier bonus on saves +int times/day), and I'm even in melee sometimes (but with shield, armor, and some items and the shield spell AC = 25 then, 27 with haste). Raise Int at lvl 8 and 12, and get the 19 con item at 14. You're good to go I think. Don't forget to check riding with your DM though, cause I think RAW it works out pretty bad if your pet moves after your turn.

kaervaak
2021-04-06, 02:50 PM
OK, so I take it you want to play ranged?

The issue with crossbow expert is that you can't use a hand crossbow until level 3, and at that point, you'll have your steel defender's rend as a bonus action option. XBE is still nice since it allows you to shoot in melee, and when you do get sharpshooter, it will give you better damage than the defender.

I'd recommend starting with XBE, upping Int to 20 at level 4, and taking sharpshooter at level 8. Warcaster is unnecessary for artificers in general, since you can always cast with your hands full and you have excellent concentration saves.

13 Con is not great. If I were you, I'd swap Dex and Con, and take either resilient dex or piercer to up it to 14 at level 12.

Are firearms on the table? If so, you can take gunner as your starting feat so you can have 14 dex and 14 con right off the bat and no penalty for attacking with ranged weapon in melee range.

dnd2016
2021-04-06, 05:09 PM
What about taking sharpshooper first and using a javelin or spear so I can use in Melee or throw it until level 3

Evaar
2021-04-06, 05:44 PM
If you're at range, you don't really need Warcaster. You're already proficient in Con saving throws, Warcaster is a bit of overkill. But you aren't likely to make opportunity attacks, your hands probably aren't full (unless you're doing hand xbow/shield, which is possible), and you probably don't need much more help on your Concentration saves.

And, as noted above, you do already have a use for your bonus action with your steel defender. It's not as strong as a sharpshooter crossbow shot, but it is there.

kore
2021-04-06, 06:14 PM
I would build to be a tank, that's how I'm playing my Battle Smith; lots of defensive options like half plate with enhanced defense, shield with repulsion shield, Flash of Genius (L7 Feature), cloak of protection (L10 Infusion), ring of protection (L14 Infusion), Shield spell, Haste, etc. You could SSI Warding Bond and give the SSI to your Steel Defender and have it cast it on you; resist all damage and +1 to AC and saving throws.

Then get your XBE, Sharpshooter, Piercer repeating shot hand-xbow for offense with Arcane Jolt in the mix. Everything else (and there's a lot) is utility.

dnd2016
2021-04-08, 01:00 PM
I need to somehow score 100 gold piece gem at level 1 to make my humunculus servant, LOL

stoutstien
2021-04-08, 01:04 PM
I need to somehow score 100 gold piece gem at level 1 to make my humunculus servant, LOL

If you roll gold for starting wealth there's a over 50% chance you'll have enough gold right off the bat even after buying some other equipment.

dnd2016
2021-04-08, 01:19 PM
Where does it say I can do that under my class? I saw it under my background clan Crafters but that's it

stoutstien
2021-04-08, 01:42 PM
Where does it say I can do that under my class? I saw it under my background clan Crafters but that's it

Start of equipment section in PHB. Pg 142-143 can't recall exactly.

kaervaak
2021-04-08, 01:58 PM
FYI: You don't get infusions until level 2. You'll probably be able to save up 100 GP by then.

Kalantari
2021-04-08, 02:16 PM
I would build to be a tank, that's how I'm playing my Battle Smith; lots of defensive options like half plate with enhanced defense, shield with repulsion shield, Flash of Genius (L7 Feature), cloak of protection (L10 Infusion), ring of protection (L14 Infusion), Shield spell (SSI option if you like), Haste, etc. You could SSI Warding Bond and give the SSI to your Steel Defender and have it cast it on you; resist all damage and +1 to AC and saving throws.

Then get your XBE, Sharpshooter, Piercer repeating shot hand-xbow for offense with Arcane Jolt in the mix. Everything else (and there's a lot) is utility.

You can't SSI with Shield since Shield is a reaction cast and SSI can only take a level 1 or 2 spell that takes an action to cast.

kore
2021-04-08, 09:54 PM
You can't SSI with Shield since Shield is a reaction cast and SSI can only take a level 1 or 2 spell that takes an action to cast.

Correct, I got a little zealous with naming defensive options. Point still stands, Battle Smith can be tanky.

Quietus
2021-04-09, 01:03 AM
FYI: You don't get infusions until level 2. You'll probably be able to save up 100 GP by then.

Yup. Ask for a 100 GP pearl to cast Identify. Then build it into your homunculus and just keep it nearby when you need to cast Identify.