PDA

View Full Version : TV Picard: Season Two Teaser

Palanan
2021-04-06, 06:00 PM
So this just happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk9F90wklRQ

And I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I firmly believe Picard Season One is the best thing that's happened to Trek since DS9 was on the air. I lived it, I loved it and I've been craving Season Two.

But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q, and I'm much less enthused about a season revolving around yet another one of Q's tiresome little exercises.

But we shall see. Season One was outstanding enough that I'm willing to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.

AdmiralCheez
2021-04-07, 11:18 AM
On the one hand, I firmly believe Picard Season One is the best thing that's happened to Trek since DS9 was on the air. I lived it, I loved it and I've been craving Season Two.

But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q, and I'm much less enthused about a season revolving around yet another one of Q's tiresome little exercises.

But we shall see. Season One was outstanding enough that I'm willing to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.

I'm cautiously optimistic. On the one hand, I thought the way they bookended TNG with strong Q epsiodes was perfect, and left it on a good note. I think that whole trial plotline was complete and doesn't need any more added to it. I didn't mind Q. I liked that he was cosmic threat putting humanity on trial to keep them on their feet and continue growing as a species, instead of stagnating at their current level. I wasn't terribly fond of him when he was just goofing around and trolling the Enterprise.

But considering what happened at the end of Picard Season 1, with Picard getting a robot body essentially, it opens up a new angle that Q can poke at. Like, making him question if he's still even human, or some other existential question about life. Q could even come at him with the whole "leaving Starfleet behind" thing and test his dedication to his principles. It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.

Dire_Flumph
2021-04-07, 11:52 AM
But considering what happened at the end of Picard Season 1, with Picard getting a robot body essentially, it opens up a new angle that Q can poke at. Like, making him question if he's still even human, or some other existential question about life. Q could even come at him with the whole "leaving Starfleet behind" thing and test his dedication to his principles. It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.

I can't believe I forgot about that little plot point, but it's a good reminder to temper expectations going in. I was pretty mixed on season 1, some fantastic sections marred by some awful ones, but there was enough done right that I'm also in the cautiously optimistic set. At the very least it was a much better send-off for Data than Nemesis was.

Although, Brent Spiner's aging was one thing. The off-putting CGI de-aging worked on Data, and I felt that that uncanny valley effect was always what Data was supposed to look like in a way that 80's TV couldn't manage.

But now with Guinan and Q's return, we have two more ageless characters being played by actors who have obviously changed a lot in the intervening time. I'm just hoping they're there for more than just some nostalgic fan-service.

As a thought, I'm not sure I want that godlike AI-entity brought up again, but if it did continue into season 2, that would be a good way to bring the Continuum into the story.

Good news to see teasers for fans of all three continuing Trek series, but for myself I was most excited for the return of Lower Decks.

comicshorse
2021-04-07, 01:22 PM
And the trailer isn't available here.
Great bit of advertising there

Peelee
2021-04-07, 01:27 PM
But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q

Say WHAAAAAAAA?!

False God
2021-04-07, 01:55 PM
Yep, looking forward to this.

Palanan
2021-04-07, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez
I think that whole trial plotline was complete and doesn't need any more added to it.

…It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.

Agreed on all points, especially the part about Picard’s synthetic form. If Q gave Picard such a hard time about having an artificial heart, just imagine what kind of hay he’d make of an artificial body.

It really does open up some of the questions about human existence that Star Trek excels at posing. From that angle, Q could be more of a catalyst than a constant presence, which could work out very well.

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
But now with Guinan and Q's return….

Wait, what?!?

Wha— Guinan? But—I mean—Guinan?!?!

soises
2021-04-08, 06:47 AM
Mixed feelings, but maybe we give it a chance? :)

Palanan
2021-04-09, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
*Guinan*

Can you follow up on this? I assume this is from another source besides the teaser?

JadedDM
2021-04-09, 05:42 PM
This article (https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/patrick-stewart-whoopi-goldberg-star-trek-picard-season-2-1203475775/) is back from January of 2020.

Ramza00
2021-04-09, 07:59 PM
Can you follow up on this? I assume this is from another source besides the teaser?

"I'm here with a formal invitation," Stewart personally told Goldberg on The View last year, "and it's for you, Whoopi. Alex Kurtzman, who is the senior executive producer of Star Trek: Picard, and all his colleagues, of which I am one, want to invite you into the second season."

Made news on live tv when this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsA61VvA8cw

Dire_Flumph
2021-04-14, 10:37 PM
Full interview link
(https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-producer-reveals-strange-new-worlds-plan-evolving-q-for-picard)

Will Picard’s new body impact his character in season two, or does it just not?

It doesn't. We did fundamentally try to address that at the end of 10. He's not Super Picard. We reset this congenital problem he lived with since Next Gen and gave him the opportunity for rebirth, but it's nothing more than a record as he might have been where he not here.

Huh...

I thought the android Picard body was one of the biggest mistakes in the first season and it's interesting to hear them admit they didn't really have a plan or think it through.

On the other hand....

They did it, and it would have been nice to have them go somewhere with it.

Christopher K.
2021-04-15, 02:51 AM
To be honest, I don't think I'm going to get into this one. It doesn't seem like Discovery or Picard are really for me.

I kinda checked out of Picard at the eyeball-plucking and 7 of 9 killing spree, but also because I didn't enjoy the serial format. The story felt like it was written and then they got Patrick Stewart to join in at the last minute and rewrote it so he could be around, and that there were so many developments that felt like they were there to artificially drag the story out, like killing Dr. Maddox immediately after finding him.

I also really felt nauseated by how Picard would have a moment to talk, and then everyone around him would be like, "yeah that isn't how things work" and then ignore him :smallyuk: I much prefer the quiet optimism that you got from TNG/VOY.

Peelee
2021-04-15, 12:02 PM
To be honest, I don't think I'm going to get into this one. It doesn't seem like Discovery or Picard are really for me.

I kinda checked out of Picard at the eyeball-plucking and 7 of 9 killing spree, but also because I didn't enjoy the serial format. The story felt like it was written and then they got Patrick Stewart to join in at the last minute and rewrote it so he could be around, and that there were so many developments that felt like they were there to artificially drag the story out, like killing Dr. Maddox immediately after finding him.

I also really felt nauseated by how Picard would have a moment to talk, and then everyone around him would be like, "yeah that isn't how things work" and then ignore him :smallyuk: I much prefer the quiet optimism that you got from TNG/VOY.

Voyager was optimistic?

Christopher K.
2021-04-15, 12:05 PM
Voyager was optimistic?

I certainly think so. Plus the episodic format lets you stop and decompress a lot more easily.

Dire_Flumph
2021-04-15, 02:22 PM
Voyager was optimistic?

I figure the Voyager crew got sent to the Delta Quadrant the same way the Golgafrinchams got sent to Earth, so...yes?

Blackhawk748
2021-04-15, 04:17 PM
I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2. Season 1 was a self contained story. Leave it alone.

Peelee
2021-04-15, 08:36 PM
I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2.

Because they want to? Like, it's not inconceivable that there is more story they want to tell. it's not as if you have to watch it, you can just be happy with a self-contained story already.

Kitten Champion
2021-04-15, 09:25 PM
Because they want to? Like, it's not inconceivable that there is more story they want to tell. it's not as if you have to watch it, you can just be happy with a self-contained story already.

Honestly, if I were to express a single hope for this season it's that it's equally as self-contained. One of the bigger issues permeating serialized fiction is the tendency for productions to feel the need to escalate over time even if it makes things repetitive or increasingly ludicrous.

From ST: Picard's perspective, where the first season already dealt with this huge ancient apocalyptic threat to their galaxy, saying "that's done, and now we're moving on to do something different" sound great to me personally.

Also, well, while Picard as a character does go through some growth and development, functionally his real strength as a character is how he represents this paragon of morality and humanism. That putting him in a morally complex situation is interesting because he has the rhetorical and philosophic tools to adequately engage with it whatever the conclusion may be, and seeing him go about it over the course of the narrative is usually pretty satisfying. Which is why TNG Picard is still generally enjoyable to watch despite the predominantly episodic nature of the series. Season one brought Picard back from an emotional and moral hiatus (that the series itself created) to be more TNG Picard - that was his arc, essentially - and now he can just be unambiguously Picard in a way that I hope doesn't relitigate his character.

Basically, I'm hoping for a season with a different style of conflict, different themes to discuss and consider, and a - metaphorically and I guess somewhat literally - resurrected Picard.

Psyren
2021-04-17, 02:14 PM
Full interview link
(https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-producer-reveals-strange-new-worlds-plan-evolving-q-for-picard)

Huh...

I thought the android Picard body was one of the biggest mistakes in the first season and it's interesting to hear them admit they didn't really have a plan or think it through.

On the other hand....

They did it, and it would have been nice to have them go somewhere with it.

I mean, I knew the instant they did it that they didn't really think it through.
They bent over backwards to explain "Oh don't worry, it's just like the old one in every way including aging and mental faculties and illness" in which case... why then? Seriously, why?

My full expectation is that Q is here primarily to undo that whole mess and make him human again so that PS can retire the character with dignity after this one.

Trafalgar
2021-04-17, 02:29 PM
I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2. Season 1 was a self contained story. Leave it alone.

Because C.R.E.A.M.

Splinterverse
2021-04-18, 09:39 AM
Thanks for posting the trailer. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed. I'll be curious to see where they take this show next.

SunsetWaraxe
2021-04-19, 06:49 PM
I am really intrigued by the idea of delving into Q and Guinan's relationship and past history together. I wonder if part of it has to do with the Nexus.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-04-21, 04:41 AM
Voyager was optimistic?
Of course, no matter how bad things got everything was always back to normal by the next episode. The ship was cut off from any possible resupply but still managed to go through somewhere between ten and seventeen shuttles. You'd hardly know they were stranded on the other side of the galaxy from watching most episodes. So yes Voyager was very optimistic so long as you weren't Harry Kim.

Peelee
2021-04-21, 07:27 AM
All jokes about Voyager and the Infinite Shuttles aside, looking back I actually liked it a good bit. If it weren't for Neelix, Harry, and most of all Tom Paris, I probably would have loved it.

SunsetWaraxe
2021-04-21, 02:32 PM
All jokes about Voyager and the Infinite Shuttles aside, looking back I actually liked it a good bit. If it weren't for Neelix, Harry, and most of all Tom Paris, I probably would have loved it.

I feel bad for Garrett Wang. He was told he was going to be the star of the show but then the writers did absolutely nothing with the character for 7 seasons. Ensign Kim was never really given anything interesting to do, and never allowed to grow and progress beyond being a simple "wide eyed" Ensign. Personally, I think the writers should have allowed Kim to "grow up" and then position the younger cast members (like the Borg kids and Naomi) to fill that wide-eyed void.

False God
2021-04-21, 02:43 PM

Yeah, though I'll argue that if they had just Tom, or just Harry I think it would have worked out. Putting them next to each other really seemed to amplify everything that was wrong with their writing.

Vknight
2021-05-19, 05:32 AM
How can one hate Q?
Wait how can one like Picard Season 1... we are talking about the same show right? *CONFUSED Sounds*
The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone? That show?
The show that when they go lets bring back Stewart to both kill him off and at the same time revive him and then say oh yeah your new body will die in a few months as well?

I'm not looking forward to this except for Q returning.
Then again people tell me that me not liking Discovery is weird. I also did not like Lower Decks... it is interesting but it feels weak to me like its mocking star trek rather then playing and having fun with it.

Peelee
2021-05-19, 07:12 AM
The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone?

Geordi was kidnapped off a shuttle by a Romulan warship.

Rodin
2021-05-19, 02:56 PM
Geordi was kidnapped off a shuttle by a Romulan warship.

Geordi also managed to be kidnapped and have his visor hacked twice. The first time is forgivable, but you'd think they'd put some security measures in place after the first time.

There's plenty not to like about Picard, but trying to compare plot holes between it and TNG seems like a losing proposition. TNG had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. We just didn't care as much about tight plotting back then.

I enjoyed Picard for what it was, and most of my disappointment with the show came from lost potential. Hopefully the writers will take the criticisms on board going forward. Not likely, but the show earned a second season watch from me anyway. Despite it's flaws it was still better than any other Star Trek I've seen since DS9.

Ramza00
2021-05-19, 07:32 PM
How can one hate Q?
Wait how can one like Picard Season 1... we are talking about the same show right? *CONFUSED Sounds*
The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone? That show?
The show that when they go lets bring back Stewart to both kill him off and at the same time revive him and then say oh yeah your new body will die in a few months as well?

I'm not looking forward to this except for Q returning.
Then again people tell me that me not liking Discovery is weird. I also did not like Lower Decks... it is interesting but it feels weak to me like its mocking star trek rather then playing and having fun with it.

You are appealing to a person with alien morals, who delights in being immoral, and is all powerful.

Imagine him as a toxic ex who will not understand the word no. Wait they did that as a Q episode in DS9!

People with boundary issues, anxiety, and dozens of other reasons do not like Q. Feel free to enjoy Q even if I do not. Someone should enjoy him. :smalltongue:

—————

Consistency with tech for things like transporters has never existed literally due to plot, the plot being the same factor that determines the amount of time to cross the galaxy between two planets.

Remember Sitcoms are Situational Comedies who descend from Stage plays, likewise Star Trek is a Situational Drama (plus other things) with manufactured plot to tell a story, create tension, etc.

Peelee
2021-05-19, 07:47 PM
The (far too short) bit they did with Q in Lower Decks were the best of Q to date. And I love me some Q.

Kitten Champion
2021-05-19, 09:06 PM

He's not going to die "in a few months". They gave him a body with his natural life-span and physical/mental capabilities (as much as natural means anything in Star Trek) but without the degenerative disease that was going to cripple and ultimately kill him. it would be relatively the same to say they merely cured him but... well, thematically him deciding to embrace this uncomfortable unknown in a show about overcoming fear does make a certain amount of sense.

*Also this is especially resonant in Trek where genetic engineering and/or cybernetics are treated with a degree of fear or contempt in a puritanical kind of way in both text and subtext. Views only really DS9 challenged to any degree, specifically the overarching views of both the Federation and by extension past Trek writers on the matter.

Though, being aghast that people like a show where you have things like this to criticize feels rather forced considering I could list off countless similar criticisms aimed every Trek show and most of speculative fiction and fantasy while I'm at it. Or do you think Picard was the first to be inconsistent in its use of its own invented technologies or to seemingly change a character fundamentally only to have it not really matter in the next episode?

Palanan
2021-05-19, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rodin
TNG had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. We just didn't care as much about tight plotting back then.

The Nitpicker’s Guide for Next Generation Trekkers (https://www.amazon.com/Nitpickers-Guide-Next-Generation-Trekkers/dp/0440505712) would like a word.

Vknight
2021-05-20, 07:30 AM
The (far too short) bit they did with Q in Lower Decks were the best of Q to date. And I love me some Q.

You mean the bit where the annoying characters shout at him that they don't have enough time when he could kill them all and when he doesn't get respect he does.... the scene where it should just end with the ship gone? Cause Q is petty enough to do that?

Ramza00
2021-05-20, 08:07 AM
You mean the bit where the annoying characters shout at him that they don't have enough time when he could kill them all and when he doesn't get respect he does.... the scene where it should just end with the ship gone? Cause Q is petty enough to do that?

Why is this character fun again and not an all powerful bully?

Peelee
2021-05-20, 11:59 AM

Yes, the cartoonish scene in the cartoon where people behave cartoonishly.

Rodin
2021-05-22, 04:57 AM
They did a serious version of that in the novel Q Squared. Trelane (a.k.a. Squire of Gothos from TOS) finds a way to become more powerful than other Q and decides to torment the Enterprise. Picard manages to buy them some time by surrendering completely and daring Trelane to kill them since they won't be his playthings anymore. Trelane storms off in a snit. Picard then admits that it was a coin flip over whether Trelane would snuff them out of existence on his way out, but it was the only option that gave them some chance of getting Trelane to leave them alone for a bit.

Trafalgar
2021-05-22, 01:52 PM
A Star Trek show that involves Picard as a really old man, Q, and a temporal disturbance.

I think I have seen this before.

https://youtu.be/JB4JYtsD1ms