PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fetchling Wizard/Oracle Theurge?

Palanan
2021-04-07, 07:40 AM
I started to work up a fetchling wizard, but I rolled an interesting spread—17, 16, 16, 13, 11, 9—and decided to lean into the fetchling’s charisma bonus. Now I’m looking for multiclassing options to take advantage of a character with high starting Int and Cha.

I’m thinking wizard/oracle, but this seems a little bland. What other possibilities would be worth considering? I'm open to all first-party options.

Eldonauran
2021-04-07, 09:14 AM
I am a fan of the Shaman/Sorcerer combination. Being able to pick up new hexes (and specifically ones that dont rely on class level) make the Shaman a great choice for the divine casting side (and access to cleric spells with the right favored classed bonuses). The Sorcerer can offer unique bloodline arcanas and provide a good amount of spell slots to use if you want to cast your divine spells through them later.

Palanan
2021-04-07, 12:57 PM
Very cool suggestion, thanks. Is there any way to advance spellcasting and class features on both sides of that build, akin to the 3.5 ultimate magus?

And in general, are there any theurge options in Pathfinder apart from the basic mystic theurge?

Eldonauran
2021-04-07, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately, there are few similar resources in the Prestige class areas in Pathfinder. They took a different design route from D&D 3.5E and focused more on archetypes and alternate class features, rather than prestige classes.

Your best option if you want a Mystic Theurge type of vibe, but don't want to use the prestige class, is to find a class that gets access to similar spell lists and branch out from there. That way, you can progress your class features. Otherwise, the only thing you progress with Mystic Theurge is spells.

There are ways to mitigate losses in caster level (but not spell level) through racial choices and trait choices. Half-elf is the best for this.

Palanan
2021-04-07, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Eldonauran
Your best option if you want a Mystic Theurge type of vibe, but don't want to use the prestige class, is to find a class that gets access to similar spell lists and branch out from there. That way, you can progress your class features.

On the question of progressing class features--if I take Boon Companion for a wizard 3/oracle 4, can I still take Improved Familiar at seventh level?

I'm leaning into the shadow theme for this build, and ideally would like a shadow drake familiar, but not sure if Boon Companion is a legit approach for that.

Firebug
2021-04-07, 06:03 PM
On the question of progressing class features--if I take Boon Companion for a wizard 3/oracle 4, can I still take Improved Familiar at seventh level?

I'm leaning into the shadow theme for this build, and ideally would like a shadow drake familiar, but not sure if Boon Companion is a legit approach for that.It's always been unclear to me if they mean the caster level or the class level for familiars. If it's Caster Level, then boon companion isn't enough, but if it's effective wizard level (according to this FAQ (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9utx)) then Boon Companion is sufficient.

Palanan
2021-04-08, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Firebug
It's always been unclear to me if they mean the caster level or the class level for familiars. If it's Caster Level, then boon companion isn't enough, but if it's effective wizard level (according to this FAQ) then Boon Companion is sufficient.

Thanks for this. Maybe it’s just me, but I found that FAQ extremely confusing.

How much trouble is it to acquire a familiar for an oracle? I see references to Eldritch Heritage (arcane), but that seems a little cumbersome.

Originally Posted by Eldonauran
Unfortunately, there are few similar resources in the Prestige class areas in Pathfinder.

That does seem to be the case, so I’m thinking of adapting the Ultimate Magus from 3.5, just substituting oracle for sorcerer.

But looking at it, I’m not sure how much would be directly transferable other than Augmented Casting. What sorts of synergies could be possible between wizard and oracle? Maybe spending a prepared spell slot to enhance a revelation?