PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with weapons-class buffs

IvanquitO
2021-04-07, 12:22 PM
Hey! I'm just arriving here, one of my players -formerly my DM- recommend me this forum.

I'm DMing a campaign where my two players are quasigods in the Faerum realm, and i'm giving them good stuffs to keep them motivated, and found the Taulmaril (A.K.A Heartseeker) from the lore of Catt-brie. The bow says it Type +3 Force keen elven longbow[2], but I really dont know where to find there attributes or modifiers to understand the better what they do.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!:smallsmile:

Telonius
2021-04-07, 12:33 PM
The intended effect depends a bit on when the thing was written. There's a "Force" ability from Arms and Equipment Guide, and an updated one in Magic Item Compendium. The AEG one is a +3, adds force damage on top of the regular damage the bow would do, and gives a chance to dispel force effects. The MiC one is only a +2, and all it does is change any ammunition into an attack with the Force descriptor (overcomes DR, hits incorporeal). Does the same amount of damage that a regular bow would do.

Elvencraft Bow is a specific thing that can allow the user to use the bow as a club or a staff in melee (depending on whether it's a shortbow or a longbow). It's from Races of the Wild.

+3 would just be the regular enhancement bonus.

Keen doubles the crit range.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-07, 12:44 PM
A similar bow would be Hank's energy bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a). It's a 3.5-ification of the bow from the 80s D&D cartoon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(TV_series)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDp_k-Fid4

Saintheart
2021-04-07, 09:20 PM
Hey! I'm just arriving here, one of my players -formerly my DM- recommend me this forum.

I'm DMing a campaign where my two players are quasigods in the Faerum realm, and i'm giving them good stuffs to keep them motivated, and found the Taulmaril (A.K.A Heartseeker) from the lore of Catt-brie. The bow says it Type +3 Force keen elven longbow[2], but I really dont know where to find there attributes or modifiers to understand the better what they do.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!:smallsmile:

The intended effect depends a bit on when the thing was written. There's a "Force" ability from Arms and Equipment Guide, and an updated one in Magic Item Compendium. The AEG one is a +3, adds force damage on top of the regular damage the bow would do, and gives a chance to dispel force effects. The MiC one is only a +2, and all it does is change any ammunition into an attack with the Force descriptor (overcomes DR, hits incorporeal). Does the same amount of damage that a regular bow would do.

Elvencraft Bow is a specific thing that can allow the user to use the bow as a club or a staff in melee (depending on whether it's a shortbow or a longbow). It's from Races of the Wild.

+3 would just be the regular enhancement bonus.

Keen doubles the crit range.

Per the webpage I have managed to deduce those stats come from (http://web.archive.org/web/20080424060219/http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_lonedrowstats) those are explicitly the updated 3.5 stats you're looking at.

However, per that same webpage (further down), the [Force] ability is as the page sets out:

Force Weapon Property: On a successful hit, a force weapon emits a powerful jolt of magical force. The magical force does not harm the weapon's wielder. Force weapons deal +1d6 points of force damage on a successful hit. If the weapon successfully hits a target protected by a force effect, such as a shield spell or bracers of armor, it might dispel the force effect in addition to damaging the target. Make a dispel check (1d20+10) against the effect (DC 11 + caster level). If the check succeeds, the force effect is dispelled (if a spell) or suppressed for 1d4 rounds (if a magic item). Ranged weapons bestow this property on their ammunition. Incorporeal creatures get no miss chance against force weapons.

This property first appeared in the Arms and Equipment Guide and has been updated.

Moderate evocation; CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, wall of force; Price +3 bonus.

So, at least by this article, the damage of the bow is its normal damage plus 1d6, said 1d6 being [Force] damage.

It's also an Elven Longbow, which again is set out by the article and isn't quite an elvencraft bow. An Elven longbow can be wielded as a two-handed weapon which does 1d6 damage, it doesn't say it's wielded as a staff specifically. These are likely editing boo-boos.

RNightstalker
2021-04-07, 09:52 PM
I would also consider making it a Shock or Shocking Burst weapon as described in the books arrows loosed from it would flash silver light/lightning.

IvanquitO
2021-04-09, 04:47 PM
Excellent, that definition of force type it nice.

I have another question, there is a feat or any way to "intercept" projectiles?

RNightstalker
2021-04-09, 09:48 PM
Excellent, that definition of force type it nice.

I have another question, there is a feat or any way to "intercept" projectiles?

You mean like Snatch or Deflect Arrows?