PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Goblin ball team names

Kurt Kurageous
2021-04-08, 01:51 PM
In my world, I've dreamt up an English League/NFL kind of thing where hobgoblin nobility in the far north (Think Canada-ish) latitudes are the owners/sponsors sponsors of goblin teams playing a version of rugby for the honor of the noble and the team.

I'm asking you to brainstorm ideas for the team names. I'm looking for a good mix of the obvious (Skullcrush, Kodiaks) and the off the wall (All-Dead). The more you throw, the more I know. Parodies of existing team names are appreciated, too.

I don't have a limit on the number of teams, as this will likely go all the way down to the equivalent of a pub team. After all, every adult goblin is required to play on a team...

jjordan
2021-04-08, 02:06 PM
In my world, I've dreamt up an English League/NFL kind of thing where hobgoblin nobility in the far north (Think Canada-ish) latitudes are the owners/sponsors sponsors of goblin teams playing a version of rugby for the honor of the noble and the team.

I'm asking you to brainstorm ideas for the team names. I'm looking for a good mix of the obvious (Skullcrush, Kodiaks) and the off the wall (All-Dead). The more you throw, the more I know. Parodies of existing team names are appreciated, too.

I don't have a limit on the number of teams, as this will likely go all the way down to the equivalent of a pub team. After all, every adult goblin is required to play on a team...
Leatherhead Tanners

Dalinar
2021-04-08, 02:12 PM
Stealing names from the Monster Manual and other bestiary books seems like it would produce a lot of good names. The Beholders, the Kobolds, the Hydras, the Yugoloths...

GooeyChewie
2021-04-08, 02:50 PM
I don't follow the NFL much, but I do follow college football. There's a few options.

-Thundering Herd. It just sounds cool.
-Volunteers. Takes on a different meaning in this case.
-Blue Devils. Or Red Devils. Or pick a color.
-Yellow Jackets. Forget the insects, have them wear literal yellow jackets.
-Scarlet Knights. Or Black Knights. Or pick a color.
-Commodores. Good for a team near water.
-Mountaineers. Good for a team near mountains.
-Blazers. The mascot for AUB is literally a dragon. Forget that, have them wear literal blazers.

Not NCAA football related, but a funny joke. Have one team be the Bearded Devils. Have another team try to mock them by being the Breaded Devils.

RogueJK
2021-04-08, 02:52 PM
There was a Warhammer spin-off back in the day called Blood Bowl, which involved a football/rugby hybrid played by fantasy races. You could probably mine that material for lots of Goblin/Orc-related team names.

RickAsWritten
2021-04-08, 02:55 PM
In my mind, Canadian Hobgoblins would most definitely be francophones, so I would look to the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for inspiration. I've always loved their team names.

https://theqmjhl.ca/teamsid/

Wraith
2021-04-08, 03:00 PM
Stolen from the Blood Bowl boardgame, which also features Goblins playing a maniacal version of rugby.... :smalltongue:

The Greenboyz
Rock Sweaty
The Lowdown Rats
The Scarcrag Snivellers
The Cragmere Critters
The Dragon Crag Dirtbags
The Underworld Creepers
Da Deff Skwadd
War Hawks
The Gouged Eye
Thunder Valley Greenskins
Badland Bruisers
The Gnoblar Gnoblars
Fire Mountain Gut-Busters
Hikuuru Headhunters
Tusk Peak Tyrants
Red 'Eads
Creepy Delvers
Broken Crushers

Wizard_Lizard
2021-04-08, 04:34 PM
The Worgs
The Skullcrushers
Goblins United

Kurt Kurageous
2021-04-09, 08:32 AM
Thank you to all who participated! I laughed.

I especially appreciate Wraith actually getting me the names of the teams from the WH BloodBowl game. Theses a faint chance a player might get the reference.

I haven't looked at the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, but I bet thats a scream.

And Goblin United? Yeah thats the top team in the elite level. They always get promoted to Lashers!

Vorpalchicken
2021-04-09, 09:18 AM
Could have one team called the Roughriders and another team called the Rough Riders

jojosskul
2021-04-09, 11:14 AM
One of the most feared teams, and the only one managed by Goblins because the Hobgoblins are scared to mess with it, is The Nilbogs. No actual Nilbogs on the team. That anyone knows of.

Their star player is called Messy.

loki_ragnarock
2021-04-09, 11:33 AM
I suppose they could take as mascots the subjugated, non-goblin populations the larger empire has conquered, complete with a distressing stereotypical depiction:
The Wood Elves
The Hill Dwarves
The Lightfoots (Halfling)
The Tinkers (Gnomes)
The Orcs
The Tieflings
The Humans
The Dragonborn

But that might cleave a little too close to home as far as evil empires go, so I'll go a different direction.

The Hematomas
The Fractures
The Lacerations
The Hyphema
The Herniations

Kurt Kurageous
2021-04-09, 03:59 PM
One of the most feared teams, and the only one managed by Goblins because the Hobgoblins are scared to mess with it, is The Nilbogs. No actual Nilbogs on the team. That anyone knows of.

Their star player is called Messy.

I planned on using the Nilbog name certainly. Its going to be one of the teams in the top (Banner) league, owned by a war-famous general. Love the Messy reference.