PDA

View Full Version : Boxers in the Playground

Crow
2007-11-10, 03:55 PM
So do we have any boxers (pugilists, not underwear) out there?

If so, how long have you been doing it, and where do you fight. What kind of fighter would you describe yourself as?

I've been doing it for only two years, fighting out of the San Luis Obispo area. My last weigh-in was 167, at 5'9" tall. I would describe myself as an outside fighter who likes to use the ring, then move in close and use the ropes late.

Brickwall
2007-11-10, 03:59 PM
BRIEFS! Okay, no, I actually prefer boxers, but I couldn't resist.

I tried boxing before. I don't like it very much. No kicking and no grappling. It barely even constitutes sport fighting as far as I'm concerned. But I don't like sport fighting anyway, so I don't have a good judging reference.

Crow
2007-11-10, 04:06 PM
I don't consider it a fighting style really. It does have obvious benefits for developing speed and power, but I look at it the same way I look at baseball.

It seems most poeple around here focus on eastern martial arts (Even I focused on aiki-jujitsu before I started boxing). I was just wondering if there were any boxers here as well.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-10, 04:18 PM
I've got a few friends who box, but I'm a wrestler (138 pounds right now, aiming for 135). I'm interested in boxing, but 2 of my aforementioned friends did boxing and wrestling at the same time, and had no time left over for schoolwork.

banjo1985
2007-11-10, 04:46 PM
I did a little kick-boxing at college, then some jujitsu as a hobbie at uni. Can't say that I ever plan on using them, but they were fun to learn and got me in shape pretty good!

SMEE
2007-11-10, 06:53 PM
I've practiced boxing for about 6 months. I plan to resume my classes, but first I have to settle some things at work to get some more free time and get my wages paid...

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-11, 06:57 PM
I've been boxing for around two months now. I made pro about a month ago, and I'm proud to say that every last match I've ever one has been by knockout - in fact, I've never been part of a match that has gone to decision. I find that I like boxing a lot more than tennis, baseball, golf, or bowling, which I all took up around the same time.

... we're talking about Wii Boxing, right?

Sorry, I just had to do it. I'm not sure how realistic Wii Boxing is, but I must say it's given me a much greater appreciation of boxing - there is more to it than a couple of meatheads standing and slugging one another. I don't fancy trying real boxing myself - putting myself in a position where I am going to get punched repeatedly in the head doesn't appeal to me.

Trog
2007-11-11, 08:01 PM
Well, Trog remembers K.O.ing Soda Popinski once or twice.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-11, 10:06 PM
I box if I need some money. I learned a lot more grappling, in terms of skill, but there's more money in boxing. Doesn't take as much skill as you'd think, either, it's a little common sense and a lot of going the distance. Only trouble is avoiding powerful body hits, since I really have barely enough fat to protect my organs.