PDA

View Full Version : Varsuvius is a man!

bird2234
2007-11-10, 04:19 PM
Vaarsuvius is a man!
Okay, Rich draws men with straight bodies, and females with wavy bodies, right?
Well, in the first frame of #186, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html) V is behind the dragon at the time, and he has a straight outline at the top of his body!
So V is a man!

Maratanos
2007-11-10, 04:26 PM
Dude, I'm sorry. This says nothing.

We all KNOW V was originally intended to be male. That's why he/she's drawn that way. But it's been intentionally obfuscated beyond the point that an art style can tell us anything other than original intentions.

Doesn't mean a thing.

DrivinAllNight
2007-11-10, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure about this, but don't alot of kittys die because of V gender threads??

Tal9922
2007-11-10, 04:31 PM
^ It does mean that when Rich finally does reveal his gender (which i hope will come in an extremely cool fashion, like, maybe having his cloths ripped off and him teeming with arcane might or something along these lines), it will revealed to be a man, due to original intent.

MCerberus
2007-11-10, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with sulfuric acid and catgirls... but yes bad things do happen when people violate the "one topic one thread" rule.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-10, 04:36 PM
One point atop this, Maratanos. Look at SoD. ALL the elves (with the exception of Lerian, or however she's spelt) are ambid... Amdi... V like.:smalltongue: It's a race thing, not a gender one at this point. I think Rich would re-draw Lerian too if he could get away with it, as that would make even assumptions based on her alone impossible (and there are many people who point to her as proof, a fact that annoys me).

Seriously. At this point, it's un-resolvable. I'd call V's remark to Roy in OotPCs the Tie Breaker, but people will disagree with that.

bird2234
2007-11-10, 04:47 PM
darn, I thought I was on to something.

David Argall
2007-11-10, 07:55 PM
^ It does mean that when Rich finally does reveal his gender (which i hope will come in an extremely cool fashion, like, maybe having his cloths ripped off and him teeming with arcane might or something along these lines), it will revealed to be a man, due to original intent.

It is distinctly likely the secret will never be revealed, at least if the answer is limited to male or female. Much more likely is that V's last appearance will still leave us unsure. Maybe the party will find out, and we will see some of the members saying they were surprised, while other are demanding that the losers pay up their bets.

Kish
2007-11-10, 07:59 PM
No, it really doesn't. If it was that simple Rich would never have made the gender ambiguous.

Koraks
2007-11-10, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure about this, but don't alot of kittys die because of V gender threads??

Everytime a V gender thread is created, a cat eats a baby squirrel, and a dog eats a kitty and someone is sprayed by a Skunk. I don't see the point in finding out the answer to that puzzle anyway. Its part of what makes this comic funny. Let the cat be forever dead and not-dead.

teratorn
2007-11-10, 08:21 PM

For every post in one of these threads V drops a kitty into a pool of acid. Ooops, here goes another one. But don't worry, in the afterlife they join all the dead catgirls as pets.

kpenguin
2007-11-10, 09:25 PM
One point atop this, Maratanos. Look at SoD. ALL the elves (with the exception of Lerian, or however she's spelt) are ambid... Amdi... V like.:smalltongue: It's a race thing, not a gender one at this point. I think Rich would re-draw Lerian too if he could get away with it, as that would make even assumptions based on her alone impossible (and there are many people who point to her as proof, a fact that annoys me).

Seriously. At this point, it's un-resolvable. I'd call V's remark to Roy in OotPCs the Tie Breaker, but people will disagree with that.

This elf (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0492.html) (5th panel) disagrees with the idea that the elf race is ambiguous. So do all of the female elf forum avvies Rich made.

EDIT: also, if dark elves count, these (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html) two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) also disagree.

Turcano
2007-11-10, 09:32 PM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6616/worfnotagaintk3.gif

2007-11-10, 09:56 PM
Everytime a V gender thread is created, a cat eats a baby squirrel, and a dog eats a kitty and someone is sprayed by a Skunk. I don't see the point in finding out the answer to that puzzle anyway. Its part of what makes this comic funny. Let the cat be forever dead and not-dead.

What happens when people make Miko threads?

dakiwiboid
2007-11-10, 10:01 PM

Things get recursive and boring around here.

kpenguin
2007-11-10, 10:03 PM
There's no reason to get testy, everyone. V's gender threads are no where near as evil as you're making it out to be. Bird has come up with a legitimate piece of evidence pointing towards V being male and is well within his rights to post this thread.

Emanick
2007-11-10, 10:08 PM

A universe persishes.
I think it is very plausible indeed that Varsuvius, whoever he is, is a man. However, Vaarsuvius the elf is most likely female. I've never been able to get past the fact that Vaarsuvius bunks with Haley every time (and they're undoubtedly not married! :smalltongue:) - it just doesn't seem plausible if Vaarsuvius is male.
The most likely notion is that Vaarsuvius is genderless, but I personally think the Order is more gender balanced at 4-2 than 4-1-1, so I hope that's not the answer. What's the excitement in that, unless Xykon tries to kill V with a Bigby's Gender-Annihilating Hand and the spell 'splashes' because ...well, it's obvious.
I hope that happens. :smallsmile:

teratorn
2007-11-10, 10:47 PM

Thog gets ice-cream. Miko threads are good!

Omniplex
2007-11-10, 11:33 PM
Varsuvius is not a man. Varsuvius is an elf. Whether V's a male or female elf is yet to be determined, but definitely not a man.

Green Bean
2007-11-10, 11:39 PM
Thog gets ice-cream. Miko threads are good!

Remember the (unofficial) motto of the Miko fanclub: All threads should be Miko threads! :smallwink:

John Campbell
2007-11-11, 12:08 AM
I remain convinced that all elves are little girls, anyway.

Can't a one of 'em grow a beard to save her life.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-11, 12:13 AM
Or, she could be a she and be flat-chested.

Yay for theory debunking!

Green Bean
2007-11-11, 12:16 AM
Or, she could be a she and be flat-chested.

Yay for theory debunking!

Now that's just crazy. Everyone knows that no mature female in comics has anything less than a C-cup. It's the law! :smallbiggrin:

Dervag
2007-11-11, 12:23 AM
There's no reason to get testy, everyone. V's gender threads are no where near as evil as you're making it out to be. Bird has come up with a legitimate piece of evidence pointing towards V being male and is well within his rights to post this thread.The problem is that all the evidence has already been discovered and reviewed repeatedly, only to be brought up again a month later by someone excitedly rediscovering it.

As for the shape of V's shoulders, it should be pointed out that if V is indeed female, then she must necessarily have a fairly androgynous figure or everyone would have identified her as female a long time ago. In which case it comes as no surprise that her shoulders look male.

Icewalker
2007-11-11, 12:54 AM

I think you win the response to any V gender thread. I am going to keep track of that image for future use :smallbiggrin:

EmperorSarda
2007-11-11, 02:10 AM
Although it is made so that we don't know V's gender, why does V have to be male or female? V could be neither; V could be an it, or V could be both male and female, having organs of both. There is that possibility.

David Argall
2007-11-11, 03:13 AM
Vaarsuvius is a man!

She is?
I don't know what his spouse will say, but V will likely be able to molify him, or her, or....

Emperor Ing
2007-11-11, 06:01 AM
:smallannoyed: i swear if I find another V gender thread, im gonna implode this planet.

FrostXian
2007-11-11, 06:36 AM
V's gender is Miko.
Seriously.

ref
2007-11-11, 06:55 AM
Now that's just crazy. Everyone knows that no mature female in comics has anything less than a C-cup. It's the law! :smallbiggrin:

And we all know how much Rich loves to break the law, so his theory still holds. :smallwink:

Eldan
2007-11-11, 07:16 AM
Don't be ridiculous. We all know that Vaarsuvius is Asmodeus' Evil twin. (The third serpent.) Therefore, his four words to achieve total arcane power would be revealing his identity. He also has the head of Vecna.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-11, 07:30 AM
This elf (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0492.html) (5th panel) disagrees with the idea that the elf race is ambiguous. So do all of the female elf forum avvies Rich made.

EDIT: also, if dark elves count, these (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html) two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) also disagree.

The Avvies aren't actually in the OotSverse. We can't take evidence of them. The interesting thing I can see here is that your cases indulge other cliches that Rich likes to reference. Your first example is Rich playing to another cliche, the types of female elves we tend to see in fantasy computer games (See Chainmail Bikini for an example of what I mean.) No one want's a one night stand with an andi... Andri... V like elf anyway. And there was all that argument about the Tavern anyway, if it was real people there or not

And drow have their own market of Tropes. Seriously, how many ambiguous drow have you ever seen. The best example of elfs in OotS strips is SoD, as they are unexceptional elves (I.E. Those who didn't put all their points into Cha) and are to a one ambiguous.

EDIT; Oh and is there an explination amoungst those who believe V as male for his words in OoPCs? Refering to Roy's "Masculine Pride" from what sounds like a third person perspective. I can't see how that works if V is male, but I'm interested in seeing if there is a counter point.

Milandros
2007-11-11, 09:00 AM
Sheesh, enough, already!

OK, V was originally intended to be male, but when Rich saw the discussions he decided to have fun and run with it. He's said so himself. V is now simply not determined. I suspect Rich hasn't made a decision to make V female all of a sudden, nor do I think he's decided to lock him in as male according to the original design. I suspect he simply hasn't decided to officially give V a gender yet - V is the androgynous type who may or may not ever be revealed as one sex or another if it seems (a) appropriate to the story to do so, (b) Rich has had enough of gender-abiguity jokes, and (c) it's funny.

There's absolutely no point in pouring over details of stick-figure drawings trying to find "evidence" of an issue that simply hasn't been decided yet. It was one way; when the question arose Rich went "ooh, that's a good idea, I'll make V's gender a mystery", and that's the current state. Unknown, probably to Rich as well.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-11, 09:09 AM
Err... I agree with all that. Rich all but certianly hasn't made a decision. I was mostly just pointing out one of the ways in which he was trying to maintain ambiguity.

In fact, I'm prety sure no one here but the OP (who has since backed down) ever sugested we could work out V's gender from over analysis. Everyone else has just been joking, sighing, making pointless threats. You know, the normal things that happen on these threads. ;D

My question about the OoPCs still stands though. I don't thinks it's conclucive evidence, even without a counter argument, but I'm curious to see if there is one.