PDA

View Full Version : Ability Score Minimums

cartejos
2021-04-10, 06:58 AM
At character creation are there Minimums to all stats or just to some? I'm away from book but I believe I recall half orcs ability scores mentioning that the int/cha can't go below 3.

With point buy say I'm playing a venerable elf, -8 to con, is con relegated to a minimum of 3 like the half orcs mental stats?

InvisibleBison
2021-04-10, 07:13 AM
Only Intelligence has a minimum of 3. All other ability scores have a minimum of 1. A venerable elf who doesn't put any points in Constitution would have a Constitution score of 1.

Silly Name
2021-04-10, 09:08 AM
As long as you're not at 0 Con, it's fine (since 0 Con=Dead). Other stats could technically be "fine" at 0, in the sense that your guy's not dead, but you'd be basically incapacitated/in a coma at all times.

Particle_Man
2021-04-10, 10:36 AM
You can even get away with some nonabilities, like having no Con score at all if you are undead. That one is still playable. Having no Int score if you are a vermin or ooze is technically possible but not really playable. Unless you are very drunk.

Biggus
2021-04-10, 01:43 PM
You have to have Wis 1 and Cha 1 or you're considered an object, not a creature.

You have to have Int 3 if you're a PC.

You have to have Con 1 if you're a living creature, but not if you're undead or a construct.

You have to have Str 1 if you're a physical creature which can move, but not if you're an incorporeal creature. If you have Str 0 as a physical creature you're effectively paralysed.

You have to have Dex 1 if you're a physical creature which can move, but some creatures (eg certain plants) have Dex 0.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-04-10, 01:53 PM
You have to have Dex 1 if you're a physical creature which can move, but some creatures (eg certain plants) have Dex 0.

I don't think physicality comes into play here. Incorporeal creatures have dexterity too. No dexterity means you cannot move, period. That doesn't make the creature unplayable per se, though.

Particle_Man
2021-04-10, 09:58 PM
Intelligent magic items might be an exception. I think they lack all three physical ability scores. Not player characters strictly speaking but they have personalities so a small might allow it.