PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Converting a 2e Rogue/Psionicist to 3.x

RNightstalker
2021-04-11, 08:40 PM
Using conversion rules, I've got 16 levels to build an NPC that uses psionics to aid assassin skills. I still haven't really dove in to psionics yet, just cursory glances here and there. My original thoughts were to start with Rogue and Swordsage to prestige into Assassin, but then I review and there are only skill and alignment requirements for an Assassin. And I'm not really locked into Assassin because IIRC there are a few other PrC's that grant the death attack.

So the biggest question is, what path of psionics would be the best asset to an assassin?

gorfnab
2021-04-11, 09:40 PM
You could just go with Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b). Here is a Psychic Rogue Handbook (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?234327-3-5-Thinking-on-your-Feet-The-Psychic-Rogue-Handbook) that will help with building one.

gijoemike
2021-04-11, 10:31 PM
There are 2 rogue like psionic classes. One is the web supplement class Physic Rogue, this rogue with a splash of physic abilities. The other class is the Lurk, a shadow psionic class, more supernatural/magical abilities in this one compared to physic rogue.

Rogue going into assassin, I would also go the path of physic rogue as Gorfnab suggested.

Particle_Man
2021-04-12, 12:12 AM
Lurk 11/Ebon Saint 5? Both in Complete Psionic.

RNightstalker
2021-04-17, 07:23 PM
You could just go with Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b). Here is a Psychic Rogue Handbook (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?234327-3-5-Thinking-on-your-Feet-The-Psychic-Rogue-Handbook) that will help with building one.

There are 2 rogue like psionic classes. One is the web supplement class Physic Rogue, this rogue with a splash of physic abilities. The other class is the Lurk, a shadow psionic class, more supernatural/magical abilities in this one compared to physic rogue.

Rogue going into assassin, I would also go the path of physic rogue as Gorfnab suggested.

Lurk 11/Ebon Saint 5? Both in Complete Psionic.

How many levels would be worth dipping into assassin? I think 1 level is necessary for flavor and death attack, but would any more be worth it?

Silly Name
2021-04-18, 06:27 AM
How many levels would be worth dipping into assassin? I think 1 level is necessary for flavor and death attack, but would any more be worth it?

Death attack's DC scales off your Assassin levels, so if you want a good chance of your foes failing the save you probably want more than one level in Assassin.

I would say it's not particularly worth it on an otherwise Psionic-focused build. Death attack is flavorful, but it's hard to get to take advantage of it in a typical D&D combat (since spending three rounds hiding from your foe means you'll probably sit out most of the battle), but can be useful as an opening move against an unsuspecting opponent. Your mileage may vary depending on how you play the character.

Asmotherion
2021-04-18, 07:52 AM
Soulblades are also kinda rogue-inspired. Not sure if they can help you meet the pre-reqs for the PrC though.

ixrisor
2021-04-18, 11:05 AM
In the same web enhancement as the psychic rogue, there’s also the psychic assassin: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d

RNightstalker
2021-04-18, 01:25 PM
Death attack's DC scales off your Assassin levels, so if you want a good chance of your foes failing the save you probably want more than one level in Assassin.

I would say it's not particularly worth it on an otherwise Psionic-focused build. Death attack is flavorful, but it's hard to get to take advantage of it in a typical D&D combat (since spending three rounds hiding from your foe means you'll probably sit out most of the battle), but can be useful as an opening move against an unsuspecting opponent. Your mileage may vary depending on how you play the character.

Three levels would get access to the Invisibility Spell

Soulblades are also kinda rogue-inspired. Not sure if they can help you meet the pre-reqs for the PrC though.

Couldn't find the source on the Soulblade. Where is it found?

Tzardok
2021-04-18, 03:44 PM

That's because it's called Soulknife. It's in the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Asmotherion
2021-04-18, 03:49 PM

I meant Soulknife. Been a wile since I read the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

RNightstalker
2021-04-18, 06:56 PM
What feats are you guys thinking about?

Silly Name
2021-04-18, 07:09 PM

The problem is not satisfying the conditions for the Death Attack to trigger (it's relatively easy to), but to spend three turns during combat effectively doing nothing.

RNightstalker
2021-04-18, 08:18 PM
The problem is not satisfying the conditions for the Death Attack to trigger (it's relatively easy to), but to spend three turns during combat effectively doing nothing.

Unless nobody knows you're there studying...:cool: