PDA

View Full Version : Maximise effect on caster level checks?

Smegskull
2021-04-12, 12:22 AM
Maximise doesn't effect saves or opposition rolls but it doesn't mention the caster level check to overcome SR, is that maxed too?
Similarly is the wildmage caster level roll maxed on a maximised spell?

the_tick_rules
2021-04-12, 12:30 AM
no maximizes maxes out dice rolls, so a 20d6 is just 120. but there are some things that can boost caster level checks. one of the ioun stones, a ring. there is also the spell assay resistance and some feat in complete mage or arcane that lets you take a 10 on caster checks.

Gruftzwerg
2021-04-12, 03:25 AM
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. A maximized spell deals maximum damage, cures the maximum number of hit points, affects the maximum number of targets, etc., as appropriate.

The effect of a spell is the spell's text description.

Casterlevel checks are part of "Casting Spells" and not a part of their effect.
Same goes for Wildmage's caster level roll. It is part of the casting and not of the effect.

As such, any Casterlevel checks not mentioned in the Spells effect/text can't benefit from Maximized Spell.

A good counterexample here is Dispel Magic (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) where the Dispel Check is part of the effect/text and thus may profit from Maximize Spell.
I've been corrected. The dispel check is not part of the effect.

Glimbur
2021-04-12, 12:24 PM
The effect of a spell is the spell's text description.

Casterlevel checks are part of "Casting Spells" and not a part of their effect.
Same goes for Wildmage's caster level roll. It is part of the casting and not of the effect.

As such, any Casterlevel checks not mentioned in the Spells effect/text can't benefit from Maximized Spell.

A good counterexample here is Dispel Magic (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) where the Dispel Check is part of the effect/text and thus may profit from Maximize Spell.

I don't think you are correct. Dispelling is not a numeric effect, this would be like saying a maximized scorching ray automatically rolls a 20 to hit.

For future reference, this sort of question would fit well into the pinned question and answer thread. Nice and simple.

Gruftzwerg
2021-04-12, 02:33 PM
I don't think you are correct. Dispelling is not a numeric effect, this would be like saying a maximized scorching ray automatically rolls a 20 to hit.

For future reference, this sort of question would fit well into the pinned question and answer thread. Nice and simple.

You're correct. While being numeric, the dispel check is not part of the effect of the spell. It's an additional requirement like (ranged) touch attacks that is required to unleash the effect. I must have been sleeping here. Thanks for pointing out my error here.

Smegskull
2021-04-12, 07:35 PM
As a caster level check is part of the effect description in circle against evil does it maximise there then?