PDA

View Full Version : What do you think will change between the ua and the options in the ravenloft book?

Rfkannen
2021-04-12, 12:25 PM
Next month we are getting published versions of the undead warlock, spirit bard, dhampir, hexblood and reborn. I thought it might be fun to speculate how these options will change from ua to published book, and then be able to look back at this thread and see if we were right.

My guesses: Reborn will lose the humanoid type, spirit bards will be able to use all gaming sets as spellcasting focuses, and the level 6 undead warlock feature will change to something more utility based than damage based.

P. G. Macer
2021-04-12, 12:32 PM
Next month we are getting published versions of the undead warlock, spirit bard, dhampir, hexblood and reborn. I thought it might be fun to speculate how these options will change from ua to published book, and then be able to look back at this thread and see if we were right.

My guesses: Reborn will lose the humanoid type, spirit bards will be able to use all gaming sets as spellcasting focuses, and the level 6 undead warlock feature will change to something more utility based than damage based.

Considering that the Feywild UA dropped dual creature types, I expect the Dhampir, Hexblood, and Reborn to no longer be dual typed. Dhampir and Reborn are more likely to be Humanoid than Undead/Construct, given that most healing spells don’t affect the latter types, and it isn’t in WotC’s style to give them a trait just to exempt them from that. I can see Hexblood being pure Fey, though, because we already have Centuars and Satyrs.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-04-12, 01:41 PM
I'm expecting some general nerfing. Not because I necessarily believe any of them need it, I think they're overall fairly well-balanced. It's just a common thing going from UA to publish to see things get nerfed, even when they're commonly believed to be fine as-is. I believe Crawford once explicitly said that they do this as a precaution, but I'm not finding the quote. Might've been someone different, might've been hearsay.

I also expect the language regarding the lineages to match what we saw in the Feywild UA, not insisting that the player utilize Tasha's system but mentioning that they can use that if they'd prefer. I know that sounds like splitting hairs, but it isn't to anyone that doesn't own Tasha's. It's important not to require it, even if it's very clearly built with that in mind. I had a player in this camp question if they needed to buy Tasha's thanks to the Gothic Lineages UA, a $50 tax if they want to use the material in future books. I'm glad that's not going to be the case.

KorvinStarmast
2021-04-12, 01:54 PM
Considering that the Feywild UA dropped dual creature types, I expect the Dhampir, Hexblood, and Reborn to no longer be dual typed. Yes please. One hopes.

verbatim
2021-04-13, 12:55 PM
RAW a level 6 Undead Warlock with Form of Dread active can currently force an enemy to make a Wisdom Save on a hit of Eldritch Blast once per turn and can double the damage die on every hit of Eldritch Blast. Regardless of whether that was intentional or a typo in UA I assume the damage doubling will either be removed entirely or only apply once per turn in the published version.

quindraco
2021-04-13, 12:57 PM
Dhampir adding Con to their bite instead of using Con instead of Str on their bite will probably be fixed; if it isn't fixed, expect a whole lot of new combos based on Dhampir biting.