PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best magic items for a level 6 shadowmonk

Ertwin
2021-04-13, 11:40 AM
I'm in a curse of Strahd one shot with a level 6 shadow monk. I am allowed 1 uncommon, and 2 common magic items, and am looking for suggestions.

KorvinStarmast
2021-04-13, 12:01 PM
I'm in a curse of Strahd one shot with a level 6 shadow monk. I am allowed 1 uncommon, and 2 common magic items, and am looking for suggestions. For common? Hmm, lemme think.
For uncommon gaunts of ogre strength. (If you can trade the two common for an uncommon, get ring of jumping to go with the gaunts).
Or, the ever enjoyable broom of flying as your uncommon, and two healing potions.

x3n0n
2021-04-13, 12:04 PM
I'm in a curse of Strahd one shot with a level 6 shadow monk. I am allowed 1 uncommon, and 2 common magic items, and am looking for suggestions.

Uncommon:
At 6th level, you're probably still pretty squishy. One boring pick is Cloak of Protection (or Stone of Good Luck/Luckstone, if you're more worried about passing important skill checks than getting hit by attacks).
Eldritch Claw Tattoo (or Insignia of Claws from Hoard of the Dragon Queen) are +1/+1 to your unarmed strikes (and the Tattoo is also a once-daily reach extension of 15' for a minute).
Winged Boots are always great.
Wand of Magic Missiles is sometimes a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power allow for unusual build decisions at this level, like "dumping" (16ish) Dex, picking Athletics over Acrobatics (for shoving and grappling) and emphasizing Wis for Stunning Strike. Less impressive for a Shadow Monk than for Open Hand or Mercy.

Common:
Cheesy: Spellwrought Tattoo, Find Familiar (or other less-cheesy buffs like Bless).
Staff of Adornment/Birdcalls/Flowers is a magical 1d8 weapon if you didn't take an unarmed strike buff with your uncommon pick.
Clockwork Amulet for a single guaranteed hit on something of appropriate AC, chosen in advance. (Probably not great for you.)
normal Potion of Healing.
Mostly flavor stuff otherwise.

Edited to add summary and qualifiers:

I haven't played CoS, and thus can't comment on specifics.

If you want to engage with flying monsters, Winged Boots are pretty great, and even better for a Monk since they use your footspeed.
If you want to be unusually buff for a low-level Monk, great at shoving and climbing, I'd go with the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength. As mentioned above, I think this is better for a non-Shadow Monk who takes better advantage of a high Wis.
If you want the best to-hit, you could take Dex to 18 *and* take Eldritch Claw Tattoo.
If you want to fail fewer saves, I'd go with the Cloak of Protection or the Stone of Good Luck.

If you take anything besides Eldritch Claw Tattoo, I'd probably use a common pick on a magical Staff so as to have a 1d8 magical weapon.