PDA

View Full Version : [DnD5E-IC]Adventures in the Borderlands, Chapter 1

truemane
2021-04-13, 09:42 PM
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/384514050912026641/831720053182693407/Broken.Castle.Hill.jpg?width=550&height=270

It has been a busy spring.

After the Keep was cleared of enemies (and tidied up a little) the party returned to the grooms and porters (who were happy at least some of the party made it out, and made new friends too!) and started the long trip back to what passed for civilization this far east.

The party met Duke Ariana Joranna in the border kingdom of Urhl. After their report, she thanked them profusely for their service to the Ducal Seat and set about putting a lifetime of plans into motion. Each member of the party was offered a place of honour in the emerging lands, if they continued to serve the Duke.

Months of frenzied activity passed as the Duke gathered people and resources and made deals and plans and treaties and agreements with everyone from dry goods traders to military tyrants. Her will and her dedication were as strong as steel and her plans moved forward.

And so, now, months later, the Keep is once again occupied and rings with the sounds of people and lives and civilization. It is still mostly a ruin, and only a shadow of its former self, but trade has begun here. And the beginnings of a new society.

The party, having established a homestead within the walls (remains of the wall, anyway) of the keep, participated in the preparations and organizing of the Keep's earliest days.

And so, as spring was drawing to a close, but before the thick oppressive heat of summer had yet arrived, the Duke summoned the party to the room where she her seat of government.

She is a tall woman, with broad shoulders and thick, sturdy features. The marks of her patrician parentage shine out in her delicate cheekbones and fine blonde hair, but there is none of the weakness or delicacy of the noble in her.

When the party arrived, she was sat behind a massive desk (black oak, a gift from a local potentate seeking to wed her), papers strewn everywhere, her small team of advisors behind her, and two of her best soldiers flanking the door.

She smiles as they enter.

"My friends, my friends," she says, ushering them over to the table. "Again we thank you for the services you have provided for the Seat already. You deserve your rest, if you will it, and yet we are in deepest need and, should you have more service in your heart, we would seek your assistance yet again."

She lays out a sketchy, incomplete map of the nearby wilderness. Notes are scratched all over it.

"This land was once a centre of trade and culture and commerce. The Dwarf clans to the north have ancient ties to our bloodline. The coastal lands to the south once provided exotic bounty from across the seas. The border kingdoms to the west can trade with all the lands along the Great Road. Once, this land was great. And it will be again. But our needs are many and our resources few."

"First, there are the walls, which we have done some work repairing, but we lack the skill and the resources to complete. There is an old quarry nearby we could use for the stone. But scouts indicate there are several nests of monsters that make the nearby area their home. Lizardfolk. Bullywugs. Possibly other, fouler beasts.

"And if we reclaim the quarry, I have contacted a master stonemason I knew some years ago, who will come if we can ensure the safety of his daughter. Which we cannot do unless we can find and eliminate the large company of raiders resides somewhere south of the Goblinwater. We are losing one in five caravans and traders are refusing to make the trek. We don't know how they are crossing the Goblinwater River. There is no ford that we can find."

"To the north, along the steppes, is a great forest that was once the strongest and oldest nation of elves in this part of the world. Now it is a haunted, evil place filled with spirits and the undead. But if it could be cleansed, the elves could come and live here once again."

"And, perhaps most of all, at the the road that turns north into Tallscratch Valley lies a rich silver mine that was once a source of great wealth for my family. Now it is rumoured to be infested with monsters and creatures of all manner and description and are now known as the Caves of Chaos. The mine, more than anything else, is the key to re-establishing our sovereignty here, and the Caves are the biggest threat we face."

She paused. Sighed.

"So many other things. There are old rumours that two legendary heroes of my bloodline, Rogahn the Warrior and Zelligar the Wizard, established a stronghold here in this area once. It has never been found. But if it can be located, I know of both a weaponmaster and a wizard of great learning, descended from their blood, who will come here and make it strong once again and swear fealty to the Ducal Seat."

She sat back.

"So, my friends, we dare not ask you give more than you have given, and yet your Duke, and your new home and community, call out to you at our time of need. What say you?"

THE BORDERLANDS!Up arrow is the Caves of Chaos. Down arrow is the quarry.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/384514050912026641/831720083284951060/Map.Wilderness.START.jpg

THE KEEP!
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/384514050912026641/831720783754690610/Map.Keep.jpg?width=414&height=541

Take 5 Downtime Points for personal pursuits over the last few busy months. And please let me know what project you're putting them toward. You can start and stop a project, if you wish, but once assigned, they stay with that project.

From here on, this is mostly a sandbox. You pick a thing you want to pursue, and I'll run it. The big thing to remember is that none of the encounters from here on are keyed to level. You might easily stumble across something too much for you to handle. I'm not going to go out of my way to kill anyone, but I won't fudge dice to save anyone either. So you'll have watch what's happening and make the best decisions you can.

JNAProductions
2021-04-14, 09:33 AM
5 points towards improving my Constitution to 16. 5/30 points done.

Heart laughs a little. "You ask so much, and yet here we are to give. This is already a remarkable place, your highness. I'm happy to work towards making it even more so," she says. "I think we should see about gathering the materials for the walls first, from the quarry. A stonemason is of no use without stone. Though... We've been busy, and I've not heard from the Sharpscale tribe. Have you received any entreaties from them?"

Silent_p
2021-04-14, 05:28 PM
Arabella will spend some time working on her people skills: 5DP towards increasing Charisma to 12. (5/15)
Arabella taps a fist to her chest and bows her head slightly to the duke. "Of course, I remain happy to serve," she says in reply to the woman's query.

At Heart's suggestion, Arabella nods. "Repair the walls, yes. Good. Ensuring the keep is as well defended as possible is of primary import," she says. "As well as creating a bastion of civilisation in the area, that would help ensure that future sorties do not allow trouble to assail a stronghold ill-equipped to manage."

At the matter of the kobold tribe, she schools her face and tries not to give away any feelings as she pauses to see how the duke reacts.

Xihirli
2021-04-14, 06:13 PM
Yeeeah let's get a third of the way to upping my wisdom. 5/15 to increase it by 1.

Skía waves at the Duke. "Hello, Duke! I've heard so much good about you! I was wondering. On the off chance I find a way to get my family out of the Shadowfell, could they stay here?" She knocked on the desk a few times. "This is a nice desk. You could have something etched onto it and painting put in so you can look at a nice scene whenever you want!"

oaken
2021-04-16, 12:37 AM
Vincent walks into the Duke's conference room carrying a book in one hand, and leaning on his staff with the other.

Being old, he was spared of most of the strenuous work required in renovating the Keep. Instead, he helped in transporting, sorting and organizing the books the Duke ordered to be brought from her private collection, in attempt to bring to life a library worthy of the Keep and community she desires to form.

Naturally, he also spent quite a bit of his time reading through these books, which he found to be a rediscovered joyful wonder.

Most of the knowledge he accumulated in his long life came from observing and communing with nature and animals, or from his own experiences. Having first-hand access to knowledge that others cultivated just like that was, for him, magical. He now constantly found himself questioning why he didn't see everyone else carrying a book at all times, and reading them whenever they had time to spare.

He listens attentively to the Duke's description, caressing his long white beard.
His eyes sparkle when she mentions the haunted forest to the north, and he grunts a little in sorrow.

After everyone has talked, he mumbles: "right, right, the walls, yes, good, that would be good indeed."
In his heart, he would like to go to the forest, even if just to see it one more time without any hopes of coming back.
But this people here need all the help they can muster, and even though he's not much, he's something, and he's glad to help them. Maybe the time to come to the forest will still come.

"I read about about mason work a bit, I think there's a whole collection of books about that in the library, hmmm, yes, I should check that one out more carefully, yes. Stone will most definitely be required. That seems to be a good plan indeed. Fortify our defenses before we take on riskier endeavors. I like that, yes." He smiles a warm and wide smile.

Vincent will spend his down-time reading the many books in the Duke's library and gaining proficiency in History. (5/30)

truemane
2021-04-18, 02:50 PM
We've been busy, and I've not heard from the Sharpscale tribe. Have you received any entreaties from them?"
The Duke makes a slightly sour face. "No, we have heard nothing from any kobolds. Neither entreaty nor warcry. We know there are still some in the region, though. Several merchants complained of kobold-raids on their caravans. And we are sure there are many we have no heard of."

She pauses.

"We believe that the little rat-tamer is still to be found on the grounds, however. Ahzwig mentioned seeing him."

Ahzwig Fairybellweather is an elderly Gnome who was the Duke's servant and valet for many years, and now serves as her Chamberlain.

[SPOILER=OOC]Skía waves at the Duke. "Hello, Duke! I've heard so much good about you! I was wondering. On the off chance I find a way to get my family out of the Shadowfell, could they stay here?" She knocked on the desk a few times. "This is a nice desk. You could have something etched onto it and painting put in so you can look at a nice scene whenever you want!"
The Duke smiles. "Any member of your family is welcome here, dearest Skia. And we offer the entire northern forest for their resettlement should it ever be cleansed of its current curse." She looks down at the desk. "Hm. We tend to agree. But there are no artisans in the Keep at the moment with sufficient skill. Perhaps we may attract some, should some of the dangers in the region be handled?"

As they decide what to do next, she snaps her fingers and one of the nearby advisors brings her a leather bound packet of papers. She lays it down, opens it up, and spreads the contents.

"We are afraid we know little of the dangers that may beset you on your task. We have some knowledge of the countryside, but it is a combination of old family stories and dubiously sourced intelligence."

She shows a map with some markings.

"You can see the Goblinwater runs south of here. We know of no crossing to the other side, where the quarry lies. And just on the other side are both an established next of lizardfolk and bullywugs, who it is rumoured have constructed some manner of maze to defend their homes?"

She shakes her head.

"And we have heard that deep in the forest there live giant spiders. We have no had these rumours substantiated."

She looks up at Vincent. "Your old adventuring party, the Fortune's Five, still remain missing. Their mission was to map this area and seek out as much knowledge of the southern reaches of the river as they could. We would very much like to learn of their fate, if at all possible."

She looks up and spreads her hands.

"My friends, we thank you for your continued service to the Ducal Seat."

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/384514050912026641/833424802886189066/Map.Wilderness.Chapter_1.jpg

Xihirli
2021-04-19, 02:53 PM
"You're welcome!" Skía said to the Duke. "What's this about a curse in the forest?"

Silent_p
2021-04-21, 04:10 PM
Arabella glances at Heart briefly as the duke talks about the kobolds, both near and far but says nothing.

She frowns as the woman outlines the issues with accessing the quarry. "A ford will need to be created then to traverse the Goblinwater, not only for ourselves but for any future quarrying - though the latter can be done later." She looks at the others. "It would be prudent to take stock of the river, then, for any potential crossing points."

truemane
2021-04-25, 02:33 PM
IN THE KEEP
The Duke looks at Skia, her face serious. "The forests are haunted, child. The undead are everywhere. There are rumours of portals to foul, evil places, pits of bodies hundreds of feet deep, entire tribes of forest-dwellers driven mad by the power of the curse. It is possible that whatever caused this curse was also was caused the disappearance of Rogahn and Zelligar."

And to Arabella.

"You speak right. There is one in the Keep, who runs the trading post, Khalidd is his name. We are told that he was educated in engineering in his youth, and that he is a man of courage and loyalty. Find him, and tell him we command that he accompany you. He may assist you in finding or creating a proper crossing. You may also request of him what provisions you feel you require and we will cover his chit. It is the least we can do for your assistance."

ON THE ROAD
The Keep is approximately one day's easy travel from the Goblinwater. It is a fast-flowing river that has cut deep into the rock for many years. It travels from west to east, but takes many deep and strange turns along its course.

The party exits the Keep along the now familiar road and travels to the crossroads. There are two or three farms now established in the fertile plains at the base of Duke Hill, run by rough and grim homesteaders who have opted for this perilous route to landownership

The roads sometimes see merchant cavarans and pilgrims and travelers and tradepeople looking to start new lives. But today it is empty.

The lands are quiet. The plains stretch out for miles and miles, lightly dotted with crags of stone and copses of tress.

The Haunted Forest looms to the north, dark and foreboding. A little east, the road passes through a narrow strip of land, with the Goblin water south and the Forest almost touching it to the north. Locals are already calling it the Perilous Pass.

Standing at the crossroads, the party faces a choice. South to the river, or east along the road?

In the interests of moving things along, we'll do split screen on the conversation about bringing the engineer along (and/or the actual convo with him), and the initial wilderness bit. So, in your post, have two sections: one to finish the convo with the Duke, one to discuss what you're up to out here.

For the below map, the squares represent approximately one day's walk west to east. And would represent about three day's careful search (maybe more, maybe less, depending on your actions, class features, etc).

I'll be rolling for random encounters for each day and each night you spend in the wild. I'll be modifying the chances up or down depending on your actions, class features, etc.

Let me know how much food you take. Foraging/hunting while in the wilds is a Survival check. We'll call it a day's work to hunt/forage for food, and may provide more than day's rations, plus or minus class features, the roll, etc etc.

Anything else that comes up, I'll let you know.

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Chapter One Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/168wG0La75bAhA-MXEJwEJlTnmFYTagwsVCPnQTOH7hc/edit#gid=0)

JNAProductions
2021-04-25, 02:52 PM
Map is not public access.

The Keep
"Excellent! We'll make sure Khalidd is kept safe. Has he any training in combat? Or is he entirely a civilian?" Heart asks.

The Road
Surveying the lands, Heart asks to see the map. She looks it over, and says "I think it might be best to follow the road-at least till it start to go north. Then we can split and head for the quarry."

Silent_p
2021-04-28, 03:15 PM
The Keep

Arabella nods at the duke's order. "We will likely be guided by his expertise in relation to fording the river, then." She glances from Heart to the duke, curious to hear the answer to her companion's question.

The Road

Glancing over Heart's shoulder, Arabella notes the place indicated. "I'd have imagined we would be seeking the narrowest point at which to cross, and with the fewest obstacles between that point and the quarry." She reaches over and draws a gloved finger down from the road. "We can follow the Goblinwater south east from where you suggest."

She looks around the group. "Thoughts?"

oaken
2021-05-01, 11:03 AM
IN THE KEEP
Vincent does not say much, instead he just, once again, grunts in the corner at the mention of the Haunted Forest.

ON THE ROAD
As the group stops at the crossroads, Vincent circles around himself, surveying the land.

"At the keep we see merchants and pilgrims arriving each time more frequently, many traveling down this road, hmmm," he rumbles as if in agreement with himself. "It is true that there are accounts of travelers being attacked, but still the roads are traveled none the less, so I agree we should stay on the road as far we can afford, uhummmm," he says running his long bony fingers through his long, disheveled white beard."

Xihirli
2021-05-01, 11:30 AM
Skía was feeling pretty excited on the road. She had a pretty good idea of what her goals were next, clearing out the northern forests, and these people seemed open to help her as long as she helped them out too. She spent the day telling everyone about how pretty the daylight is, and how unfortunate it was that her skin couldn't handle much sun.
"We never saw much of sunlight where I'm from," she explained. "There were always all these clouds in the way. It was more likely to get a burn from lightning than from the sun."

truemane
2021-05-01, 10:49 PM
THE KEEP
The Duke answers Heart's question: "He has done some soldiering in our father's service. But that was some years past. It is our understanding that he has trained his two sons, and so we suspect he has not lost all of his skill."

And to Arabella. "That is our hope. If there is one thing we know for sure, that is to match every task with those most skilled to meet it. Hence our confidence in the four of you."

THE ROAD
It is about two days' easy walk from the fork to where the road splits from the Goblinwater. The road, past the keep, is narrow and quit broken in many places. It has clearly been many years since it was used often or widely.

The party walks out the remainder of the day and early evening. They hear the sounds of game in the hills and grass and trees, and there are tracks both old and new to be found, but the meet no one on the road that day.

As the sky grows dark the ground falls sharply to the south and rises sharply to the north. The road traverses a narrow flat ridge. From the south they can smell the fetid odour of a large swamp. From the north the air is cold and sharp.

As the sun falls below the horizon, in the far, far distance to the south they see what might be torches dancing in the darkness.

No random encounters along the road on Day 1. If anyone wants to look for anything, keep an eye out for anything, search for anything, put it in your post along with the applicable roll.

Let me know what kind of camp you make when it gets dark. I'll take that into account when I roll
for night-time random encounters.

UPDATED MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/168wG0La75bAhA-MXEJwEJlTnmFYTagwsVCPnQTOH7hc/edit#gid=0)

JNAProductions
2021-05-02, 09:52 PM
On The Open Road
As day turns to night, Heart stretches her arms in a wide yawn. "Hope no one minds if I don't have to take first watch-long day has me all tuckered out." She starts to set her tent up-while she didn't need the larger one, enough for two people to sleep in (reasonable amounts of) comfort, it was all she could acquire on short notice. As she does, she glances skyward-just seeing if it's really needed for this night.

[roll0]

Weather check, to see if inclement weather is coming and therefore a tent is advisable. If yes, she'll offer the extra space to whoever needs it.

Before camp is fully made, she also checks the steeply-rising side of the path. If there are any crevices or alcoves of sufficient size, she'll offer to lead some rope up so the party can rest in the safety of a higher position.

Silent_p
2021-05-05, 02:38 PM
THE KEEP

After the briefing with the duke concludes, Arabella goes to seek out Khalidd at the trading post. When he has a free moment to spare, she approaches and starts outlining the group's plans. "You are, of course, welcome to accompany us on this journey," she adds, "though I imagine your leaving your post is not something done lightly."

THE ROAD

Having set up her sleeping bag in what she believes is a moderately sheltered spot, Arabella glances at Heart as the woman stretches and studies the darkening sky. "I can take the first watch," she says, finishing the last of her food. "Skía?" She asks, looking over at the friendly woman. "Will you take second?"

truemane
2021-05-07, 10:04 PM
THE KEEP
The trading post was small and sparsely stocked. Khalidd and his two sons mostly deal with equipment, tools, clothing, and some luxury goods. They also have a good selection of dry goods. A few basic weapons and armour. The salted pork has a very good reputation. "I make it meself," he says proudly, upon meeting the party, "But what I really needs is furs. One of the merchants who actually comes though 'ere despite the raids has a desperate need for them back in Queenston. I'll pay top dollar for anything you can bring me."

He is a widower. His wife had been a solider, an officer in a minor noble's army. She had come to know the Duke during a civil war and sworn herself to her service soon after. His wife (Amarita) had died defending the Duke in battle. Khalidd said he considered his wife's oath binding. So she had offered him his choice of positions, should he still wish to come with her to the Keep.

He did. And chose the relatively quiet life of a trader. "Soldering's no good life for raisin' kids. They need stability. Routine. And then they can do as they likes once they're got their growth on them."

His two sons (Rupert and Grint, both mid-teens) are affable and polite. They seem hardworking, although they seem to take a great deal of pleasure in pestering their father constantly with jokes and pranks and jibes.

He nods grimly at the news from the Duke, "Aye, I was once quite a well-known builder. There still be three or five temples and castles what bear my name. It's been a dog's age since I scouted or built a bridge, but I imagine it's all up here still somewhere."

He tells his sons he'll be away a week, two at the outside, girds himself with leather armour, takes up a shortsword and a halberd (both of which are well-cared for but have seen better days).

The sons play it off as funny, but they are clearly very concerned. "Be careful," they say, "Don't you go getting hurt and leaving all the hard work for us."

Khalidd shakes head, "Just a walk by the river. Nothing dangerous. Ain't that the way of it, Lady Knight?" he asks Arabella.

THE ROAD
Heart's scouting along the ridge uncovers a decent sized rift in an outcropping of rock. It is not quite a cave (it's open to the sky), but it is solid rock on two sides with narrow entrances. Inside the ground is flat and soft with dirt. A single tree grows its bent and twisty way from the shady ground up to the sun. There are animal bones about, and some tracks and spoor, but nothing that looks very fresh.

As far as Heart can tell, there was rain coming. Quite a bit of it. But it was still a couple of days off yet.

Soon enough the fire is going, food is eaten, stories told (Khalidd has a very good one about a dim nobleman who mistook an owlbear for his husband and almost lost his lands), and then they settled in.

First Watch
Arabella stands two hours. She hears little aside from the nearby river and the sounds of the forest to the north. Something large passes by in the darkness soon after dusk, but it's impossible to tell what.

Second Watch
Skia sits two hours. She neither sees nor hears anything unusual.

Third Watch
Vincent sits two hours. All through his watch he hears what sounds like the buzz of enormous insects flying far overhead. From west to east. Then east to west. Then back. And again. How many it's hard to say.

Fourth Watch
Heart sits two hours. Soon after taking over, she looks and sees a line of six large rabbits sitting quite still, very quiet, at the edge of the fire's light, their faces obscured by their eyes shining in the night. They sit for several minutes and then, to her surprise, two vanish in an instant. And then one more. And then two more. And the final one.

Dawn comes soon after.

The next day is bright and hot. The land continues to rise. And the forest creeps further and further south until the thick wall of dark and foreboding trees seem like they are looming over the road and party. The Goblinwater, too, creeps closer and closer, giving even this outside, outdoors road a claustrophobic feel.

Near the end of the day, as the light was just starting to turn, Khalidd stops and points down the steep slope to the river below.

"You see that bend there? Where the river slows and bubbles it's all swamp and mire on t'other side? Look, you can see the tips of round stones peaking over the surface. Be an easy ford there, I say. You can hear it. Bet at least one of me own sons on it." He smirks. But he is serious.

The land is pretty flat. It's maybe an hour's trek.

"Ought we check it out? Camp down by the water?"

UPDATED MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/168wG0La75bAhA-MXEJwEJlTnmFYTagwsVCPnQTOH7hc/edit#gid=0)

JNAProductions
2021-05-08, 08:01 AM
When the others awaken, Heart tells them of what she saw with the rabbits. "I didn't check it out further-it's odd, to be sure, and if it is something menacing, I didn't want to attract it here by investigating. But it did happen right there," she indicates the spot near the camp, "So perhaps we should look now, that we're awake."

Investigation feels the most appropriate.

[roll0]
[roll1] if I have Advantage from Help or anything.

Later in the day, when Khalidd mentions a good fording point, Heart nods. "I'll take your expertise on this-I'm more a mountaineer than a water person myself."

Silent_p
2021-05-12, 03:57 PM
Despite the presence of something large just out of sight, Arabella's watch is peaceful and, having roused Skia for the next watch, she rests well.

"I cannot say that I have seen the like," she says in reply to Heart's encounter, casting a brief glance in the direction the woman indicated. Unsure how much assistance she can provide, she still joins Heart to investigate briefly.

Later...

Nodding in agreement, Arabella gestures for Khalidd to lead the way. "This does seem a ways from the quarry, by the map. We will need to forge a path once we have crossed the river."

As they travel toward the river, she moves up next to the man. "Do you have an estimate for how many labourers will be needed for this? Road, ford and so forth."

Xihirli
2021-05-12, 04:03 PM
Skía checks out the spot near the camp where Heart had seem the rabbits being odd.

truemane
2021-05-16, 06:29 PM
THE CAMP
Investigation of the ground around the camp shows very confusing markings. They are rabbit tracks all over, but they disappear and reappear seemingly randomly, as though the little beasts are teleporting short distances.

Very strange.

Anyone who makes a DC16 History, Arcana, or Nature check, might have heard of such thing as the al-mir'aj, or 'Blink Bunny.' They are small rabbit-like creatures with unicorn horns and they do indeed teleport short distances. They prefer to run rather than fight but can be aggressive. They are native to a land very far from here.

RIVER'S EDGE
In the last hour or two before dark the party turns off the road and makes their way across the rocky slope toward the river. Just as the light is failing, the land flattens out and they reach the river's edge. On this side of the river the ground is mostly rocky, and the river is slow moving and shallow. Across the way they can see (and smell) a vast marshland that extend into the distance.

Just behind them, to the north and east, a tall, steep rocky hill rises from the flatland.

The shallow, slow-moving area is quite narrow. No more than a few hundred feet, with the water becoming quite deep to either side.

"If I had materials," Khalidd says, "Me and a dozen folks could build a bridge in a couple of weeks. If I have to make my own, I'd need twice that much and maybe a whole season. The road is someone's job, but isn't exactly skilled work. Hardest part is maybe keeping us all safe long enough to do it. Her Dukeship's forces are worn thin as it is."

The sun is soon to dip below the horizon.

The only place that offers any real shelter is a dense copse of trees surrounded by thick thorny shrubs that they passed on the way. It would be dark by the time they got there.

Or the party could bed down here at the river's edge.

JNAProductions
2021-05-17, 11:54 AM
THE CAMP
Investigation of the ground around the camp shows very confusing markings. They are rabbit tracks all over, but they disappear and reappear seemingly randomly, as though the little beasts are teleporting short distances.

Very strange.

Anyone who makes a DC16 History, Arcana, or Nature check, might have heard of such thing as the al-mir'aj, or 'Blink Bunny.' They are small rabbit-like creatures with unicorn horns and they do indeed teleport short distances. They prefer to run rather than fight but can be aggressive. They are native to a land very far from here.

"Has anyone else heard of... Dammit, what was the name? I know the name, I know it-they're called blink bunnies, but they have a proper name... Al-mir'aj! That's it!" Heart says. "They're little teleporting bunnies, with horns like unicorns. They don't usually fight, but they can get aggressive-though I didn't think they were native to here. At all."

RIVER'S EDGE
In the last hour or two before dark the party turns off the road and makes their way across the rocky slope toward the river. Just as the light is failing, the land flattens out and they reach the river's edge. On this side of the river the ground is mostly rocky, and the river is slow moving and shallow. Across the way they can see (and smell) a vast marshland that extend into the distance.

Just behind them, to the north and east, a tall, steep rocky hill rises from the flatland.

The shallow, slow-moving area is quite narrow. No more than a few hundred feet, with the water becoming quite deep to either side.

"If I had materials," Khalidd says, "Me and a dozen folks could build a bridge in a couple of weeks. If I have to make my own, I'd need twice that much and maybe a whole season. The road is someone's job, but isn't exactly skilled work. Hardest part is maybe keeping us all safe long enough to do it. Her Dukeship's forces are worn thin as it is."

The sun is soon to dip below the horizon.

The only place that offers any real shelter is a dense copse of trees surrounded by thick thorny shrubs that they passed on the way. It would be dark by the time they got there.

Or the party could bed down here at the river's edge.

"Any ideas on how to ford for the moment, if we need to?" Heart asks.

She looks around, appraising the land. She's especially looking for any potential hiding spots someone might use to sneak up on them, or if they can be safe camping here on the river's edge.

[roll0]

Silent_p
2021-05-20, 05:09 PM
"Has anyone else heard of... Dammit, what was the name? I know the name, I know it-they're called blink bunnies, but they have a proper name... Al-mir'aj! That's it!" Heart says. "They're little teleporting bunnies, with horns like unicorns. They don't usually fight, but they can get aggressive-though I didn't think they were native to here. At all."

Arabella nods. "You're right. Very strange to see them here. A sign of something untoward?"

"Any ideas on how to ford for the moment, if we need to?" Heart asks.

She looks around, appraising the land. She's especially looking for any potential hiding spots someone might use to sneak up on them, or if they can be safe camping here on the river's edge.

"I think I could cross with a rope if the need was urgent," Arabella said, eyeing the river at this point. "Something better left for the morning and good light, unless the situation is dire." She glances back. "Those trees might give us shelter for the time being."

Xihirli
2021-05-20, 08:30 PM
"I’ll set up camp!" Skía says cheerfully and starts right on that. "Though if it’s all the same to you I’ll be just outside the trees, the stars have a lot to tell me!"

truemane
2021-05-21, 08:43 PM
Heart takes some time to look around before the leave the river's edge. She determines not only that the flat land is open and relatively featureless (offering no real cover or hiding), but there's also a number of confusing and hard to read tracks. Enough to make her think that the area has a fair amount of traffic.

Her search takes the last of the light and the party treks toward the copse of trees in darkness. In the dark, the land seems vast and the moonlit sky seems to press down on them and makes them feel simultaneously trapped and lost in infinity.

The night is noisy. The river, of course, but also the sounds of animals moving about. And the faint, faint strains of discordant music drifting from the swamp beyond the river. Several times they see large winged beasts making their way through the air, but none are close enough to identify.

At last, they reach the trees.

They make their way under the dense canopy, picking their carefully among the dense underbrush and thick root systems and grasping, thorny bushes and the piercing branches of the skeletal trees. The moon barely penetrates the thick leaves and what little does casts the small forest in a strange, surreal light.

Heart sees a slight rise a short way in that they could put their backs against, and they head that way.

However, they are no sooner within the bounds of the copse when they see the ground shake and move and four large flaps of leaves and branches and dirt flip up like trapdoors and four massive spiders come flying out of their burrows.

The first is so quiet and so swift it is upon Vincent before anyone can react.

Battle of Spider Forest! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqcrzg8OirgcJDqsM6ZDYTGgn6f5M-Sx0rHYHVcnFYA/edit#gid=0)

The Battle of Spider Forest has Begun!
Conditions: it is full dark. Anyone without Darkvision or some other light source is Blinded.
The first spider had surprise and struck Vincent.

Vincent: you take 5 piercing damage, and 9 poison damage (roll a Con save, DC 11, to halve the poison damage)

Everyone roll initiative in their post. The Spiders have 13 AC, so you can narrate your own strikes and damage and such.

Initiative Order
Spiders - 20

JNAProductions
2021-05-22, 08:10 PM
With Vincent injured, Heart draws her magical blade. "Dammit," she mutters as she angles to get a blow on that spider.

She's not fast enough to react before anything else happens, but when she manages to spot an opening, she darts in and shanks the spider, a deep blow.

9 magical piercing damage on the spider.

Silent_p
2021-05-23, 11:33 AM
Arabella's initiative: [roll0]
Walking in near pitch blackness, Arabella is caught even more unawares than her traveling companions as Vincent cries out in pain and the sounds of a fight erupt. She curses her lack of foresight and, deciding against flailing around helplessly in the dark, rummages in her pack and proceeds to light a torch.

Not sure exactly how long it might take but Arabella will spend this turn, at least, trying to light a torch.

truemane
2021-05-30, 01:08 PM
Vincent takes the surprise bite in his chest and immediately he goes pale and weak, his eyes roll u p in his head, and he collapses on the ground. The massive spider takes hold of him in its horrid pedipalps and and starts dragging his body backward to its lair.

Frightened and surprised, Skia takes a step back and looks about, ready for anything.

From the darkness comes the near-silent pitter patter of more spiders.

One looms up out of the trees and bites Arabella on her leg as she struggles to light a torch.

Immediately, though, Heart leaps up and strikes the spider across its nightmarish face. It takes the hit, hisses in pain, and seems about ready to run away.

More are coming...

Battle of Spider Forest, Round Two! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqcrzg8OirgcJDqsM6ZDYTGgn6f5M-Sx0rHYHVcnFYA/edit#gid=0)

Vincent is Paralysed and being dragged away by Spider 1
Skia is Fighting Defensively.
Arabella: give me a Survival check, your choice of Dex or Wis, DC 14. Success means you got it lit last action and are ready now. Failure and you'll have to spend this action lighting it as well.

Xihirli
2021-05-30, 01:38 PM
Very sorry

Skía, momentarily stunned, takes out her bow and shoots the spider Heart just stabbed.

Kill the fleeing! [roll0]; [roll1] stabby damage since Heart is adjacent.

Silent_p
2021-05-31, 06:28 PM
Given the choice, I’ll go with Dex Survival:
Arabella scrambles to light her torch, grunting through a sharp sensation at her leg - a bite? Thankfully, it springs to life not a moment too soon, revealing what looks like a swarm of spiders in front of them.

”Get to Vincent!” She calls out, spotting the man amongst the creatures. In a fluid motion, she draws her shortsword and, with the torch in her other hand, makes a swing at the spider between her and her companion.

Phew. Dex roll just on the nose!
Does Arabella take damage from the spider bite?
Attack the closest spider: [roll]1d20+6
Damage: 1d6+4
(If Crit: 1d6)
Will move towards the other spiders and Vincent as well, D24 or so - not provoking an attack of opportunity, though.

truemane
2021-06-05, 10:06 PM
Heart moves back next to Skia to support her, taking care for her defense.

Skia's bow sings and an arrow flies directly at the fleeing spider, killing it instantly. The one struck my Heart has apparently had enough and turns and runs back to its hide.

From the darkness come two more of the massive arachnids, one of which sinks its fangs into Arabella and the other attacks Heart (but misses).

In the distance, under a nearby tree, the party can hear a commotion. At least two more voices, and the sounds of fight.

Daeric, who had been exploring the area due to rumours of a magical altar, was captures by the giant spiders and was trapped in webbing against the tree.

Jakob, who (at the Duke's request) had been looking for signs of the other adventuring party she had sent into the wilds, found himself in the trees at night. He was about to leave (he knew there were giant Wolf Spiders all over this place), but then heard calls for help and found Dearic.

He had just freed the tattooed man when the rest of the party came running into the woods, and the spiders woke up.

(Khalidd, momentarily forgotten, lurks behind Skia, trying not to get in the way)

Battle of Spider Forest, Round Three (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqcrzg8OirgcJDqsM6ZDYTGgn6f5M-Sx0rHYHVcnFYA/edit#gid=0)

Arabella: 4 piercing damage, 8 poison (save for half).

Initiative Order (in case it's necessary)
Spiders - 20
Arabella - 13 (holding a torch in one hand)
Dearic -
Jakob -
Heart - 1 (Fighting defensively)
Skia - 1

JNAProductions
2021-06-06, 09:47 AM
Heart, perhaps a little recklessly emboldened by her dodging, lunges forward, two quick swipes of her daggers going wide and failing to do anything. She cusses under her breath after the misses.

bladescape
2021-06-06, 09:54 AM
"That was just frightfully good timing sir. I do see you have an axe so I may just be inclined to leave such things as these to you, or more so your comprehensive musculature and likely equal constitution. Just ah, be careful as I--" The stream of words is partially cut off as the man mutters an arcane set of words, the small star-like tattoo on his palm lighting up and shooting out as he tries to bolt the closest with frost. "Yes, I have some lending of aid I can provision a saviour with!"

Targetting the one to the right of Jakob on the map.
[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit: Reduced speed by 10ft

Xihirli
2021-06-06, 10:17 AM
Skía followed Heart's sword with her arrow, taking advantage of the Spider's movements to avoid Heart's attack to aim at a spot it would find difficult to move mid-dodge.

[roll0]; [roll1]

Silent_p
2021-06-06, 02:07 PM
Okay, first things first: Con save vs poison [roll0]

Arabella will also use Second Wind as a bonus action [roll1]

Attack the closest spider (D23): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
(Crit Damage: [roll4])
Having slashed successfully at one of the spiders, Arabella was still blindsided by another as it bit into her. She cried out but pushed through the pain, teeth clenched in determination as she swiped at the spider in front of her, scoring a solid hit.

truemane
2021-06-07, 12:13 PM
Jakob, having spent his attention on freeing the talkative tattooed man, can do little more than dodge and weave when one spider attacks him. Luckily, his weaving is effective, and the horrid thing misses its strike. The other spider, having just narrowly avoided Dearic's blast of cold, scuttles up the nearest tree and drops down on the sage. Dearic's feet are as quick as his mouth, and he skips back out of the way.

Meanwhile, Heart and Skia both attack a single spider with a flurry of attacks, but they all go wide.

Arabella however, strikes hers a might blow, splitting it in who and leaving it writhing and twitching, dead on the ground. Thick green poison leaks from split savs near its fangs, killing the grass all around.

And then, out of the darkness, comes Khalidd the dry goods merchant, up behind Heart and Skia and stabs with his long halberd. He just catches the spider right in the cluster of its eyes and it dies on his blade. He steps back, pretty chuffed about the whole thing.

There are now more dead spiders than living ones. However, there are two still alive, up near the new people.

Battle of Spider Forest, Round Four! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqcrzg8OirgcJDqsM6ZDYTGgn6f5M-Sx0rHYHVcnFYA/edit#gid=0)

(I swear Khalidd isn't my pet DMPC! He just rolled really well!)

Initiative Order (in case it's important)
Spiders - 20
Dearic - 15
Arabella - 13
Khalidd - 7
Jakob - 5 (Fighting Defensively)
Heart - 1
Skia - 1

Lord of Gifts
2021-06-07, 05:35 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/01/6a/a2/016aa259d7351484d337cb2ec50aa868.jpg
Jakob Neumark (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2458736)
AC: 18 | HP: 28 | Current: 28 | Hit Dice: 2d10
Passive Perception: 14 | Passive Insight: 14
Level 1: 1/2
Active Effects: Hunter’s Mark
Conditions: None

The night drew on, and Jakob still hadn’t found the adventures he was searching for. Recognising the tell-tale signs of Wolf Spiders, he turned back towards the keep, and resolved to try again come dawn. Not far along the way, he came upon a heavily tattooed man, bound to a tree with layers of thick webbing. With a few strokes of his axe, Jakob severed the ties and offered his new companion a hand.

"We should leave. This place is..." The sounds of fighting cut him off, as an armed group burst through the trees. Giant Wolf Spiders surged towards them, and Jakob raised his axe to meet his foe. Nimbly dodging attacks from the nearest beast, he lashed out in return, hacking at the creature’s legs and head.

Jakob casts Hunter’s Mark on the Spider around F6, and then attacks with his great axe.

Attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

bladescape
2021-06-07, 05:47 PM
"Infected by spiders, indeed!" Dearic's voice is cheerful despite the spider currently bearing down on him. Stepping back to avoid the nipping fangs twice, he sighs. "Seems a shame to just kill them but one matters in matters they meddle! If you know the area I simply must ask you some questions after we are done here!"

Twisting one palm forward at a 90-degree angle, the other tapping three small tattoos clustered on the back of his left hand, Dearic summoned small bolts of light to float around his head, circling once, twice, before the single nodes slam forward into the spider that had closed on him.

Magic Missile on the spider in melee with Dearic
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

JNAProductions
2021-06-08, 01:50 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

Heart continues her attacks, hoping to hit truer this time.

If the spiders in front of her are taken out, she'll toss her non-magical dagger at one of the further spiders, and draw another.

Xihirli
2021-06-08, 02:09 PM
"I'll take the one on the.... left!" Heart says, taking aim at one of the two remaining spiders. She shoots, hopefully better this time.

The person next to the spood is its enemy, right? We're not fighting any humanoids. [roll0]; [roll1] Can't roll a 4 AGAIN, surely.

truemane
2021-06-08, 08:34 PM
Jakob strikes his spider a massive blow with his axe and tears it in two. Ichor and poison fly up into the air and hisses on his blade. Three blinding spears of light fly from Dearic's fingers and turn the spider in front of him into a smoking husk.

Heart handily dispatches the final spider with two well timed hits with her dagger.

And the spiders are dead. And the forest is quiet.

You can all hear the shallow, laboured breath of Vincent, lying on the forest floor, his skin looking ashen. He's unconscious and nonresponsive.

You win the Battle of Spider Forest! 120 XP for everyone!

The question now is: do you risk taking a Long Rest and having it interrupted? Or a short rest that will probably not be. You can't do both.

And also, what you're going to do about Vincent.

bladescape
2021-06-08, 08:50 PM
"Good sir, that was a timely rescue! Timely indeed! I've been wandering a here-abouts for a little and would have ended up spider food if not for you! The Arcadium would've laughed at me coming back from that!" A good natured chuckle escapes the man's throat as he dusts the front of his robe off, clearing the last remaining strands of web off. "But do forgive me, I have nothing much I can provide my saviour with!"

While he notices the others nearby, his focus appears to be on Jakob who saved his life.

Silent_p
2021-06-09, 02:01 PM
Arabella puts her shortsword away, wincing at the sharp pain the movement causes her. Still holding her torch, she slowly walks to Vincent, limping slightly. With a little effort, she crouches down next to the man before glancing over her shoulder. "I am no healer but he's not sounding well," she says, "Does anyone have the training or magic to assist?"

Xihirli
2021-06-09, 04:04 PM
Skía knelt next to her fellow elf, looking him over. "Lossëhelleth!" She said, improvising a tourniquet by ripping part of his shirt off. "Hold on!"

Medicine! [roll0]

Lord of Gifts
2021-06-10, 06:59 PM

Jakob’s assault shredded one monster, while the tattooed mage slew the other with an arcane barrage, and suddenly the fight was over. The woodsman wiped his blade against a tree, and graciously accepted the thanks of his new companion. "We should join them," he suggested, gesturing towards the torchlight. "There is safety in numbers."

Approaching the party with his axe held low in one hand, and the other outstretched in a sign of peace, he called out a greeting. "I am Jakob Neumark, a journeyman of the Forester’s Guild. I seek an adventuring party, in the service of Duke Joranna."

JNAProductions
2021-06-10, 08:27 PM
"We work for the duke," Heart replies. "Give us no harm and we'll be peaceful to you."

She looks at the prone figure, and steps nearer, staying ready to offer assistance if needed.

Helping anyone who needs it on the checks.

bladescape
2021-06-11, 09:52 PM
"Oh of course!" The tattood man follows over, glancing around the party curiously. Seeing the man on the ground looking ashen, he begins to meander his way over to it. However despite his closeness and curiosity about the situation, he makes no move to try and bind wounds or interact with it, instead just viewing and studying what was going on.

[roll0] Nature roll as Dearic is curious about the poison and what's going on with the poisoned man.

truemane
2021-06-13, 11:47 AM
Skia tried to get a tourniquet applied to Vincent's wound, but it seems she's just a little too late, and too much of the poison has traveled through his body to tie the wound.

Dearic has some knowledge of these creatures, and of the poison they produce. It looks lethal, but it's mostly a paralytic. The poor elf probably wasn't going to die, but he was going to be unable to move for some time. Maybe hours. Maybe days.

Meanwhile, all around them the dark of the forest was alive with the sounds of movement and wind and leaves and animals. It would be very hard to notice if more giant spiders were sneaking up on them by ground or from above....

bladescape
2021-06-13, 10:10 PM
"Don't worry too much, good lady!" Despite the pallor of their friend, the tattooed magi seems to be quite content with the situation. He looked it over and just nodded to himself as if satisfied with his findings. "He's bitten but the venom is only a strong paralytic. He'll likely be unable to move for a day or so, and though he may seem deceased it rarely actually kills the targets. In the words of the high elvish, 'Quenya, lá Vanwa.' as in he struggles but he does not go beyond the veil yet."

Having said his piece, he glances around, seemingly unconcerned of the possibility of further incoming foes. "We should probably bring him back to society. Assuming a society isn't too far adrift from here in location. I must admit I am quite lost."

Xihirli
2021-06-13, 10:17 PM
Skía, the elf, is successfully shocked out of her fear and looks up at this new stranger. "Are you... translating Elvish for my benefit?" She asks in Elvish.

JNAProductions
2021-06-14, 12:02 PM
"It's far enough to the stronghold that it's not practical-certainly not tonight," Heart says. "But we can rest on the plains. Hopefully without any more attacks."

Silent_p
2021-06-15, 01:45 AM
Arabella rises awkwardly, wincing briefly as she straightens. ”Heart is right,” she says nodding to the woman, ”we are too far from the keep to travel there now. We will need to camp here - or close by, at least.” Holding her torch aloft, she peers about, though the action is largely ineffectual given beyond the torchlight.

”I am Arabella de Lancet,” she adds, turning to the two newcomers, ”I regret I did not catch your names…”

Xihirli
2021-06-15, 06:30 PM
"Skía... Skía Th˙ella," she introduced herself. "What about Lossëhelleth? We need to take him to safety."

bladescape
2021-06-17, 06:11 PM
"Ah! Of course. Dearic Mordren, Librarian of the Scholarium Arcana. A pleasure to meet you all. The fellow with me is Jakob. He's quite the upstanding man, having saved me in dire need from these spiders." Dearic paused then looked around at the dark forest. "He should be in relative safety so long as we arrive at a location we can defend as a group. I would hate to wake to spiders again."

Then finally he turned to respond to Skia, switching to fluent elvish himself with a smile, "<Of course not, for one of birth with elfin blood you are perhaps more an expert than myself. Forgive me the habit of explaining things I am not used to others knowing already.>"

Lord of Gifts
2021-06-17, 07:04 PM

As he got closer to the light, Jakob noticed the prone form of an elf, and realised one of the party was gravely injured. He had hoped he would find them unharmed, but at least the rest were still on their feet. Lacking much familiarity with poisons, he cautiously stood back and left the treatment to others.

"I was sent to escort you back, but I would sooner travel by the light of day. We should find a more defensible location, where those spiders cannot so easily catch us unawares, and set camp. Once morning comes, we can continue back to the keep." He pauses and takes a long look at Vincent. "Provided your friend will survive the night."

truemane
2021-06-20, 09:46 PM
Jakob picks the unconscious Vincent up over his shoulders and the party trudges out of the small forest with no further trouble.

They pass onto the open plain and try to find somewhere with even minimal amounts of defense to settle down for the remainder of the night. They find a slight depression in the flat land near some rocks. Like a wise halfling once said "It's shelter if one wall and no roof is a house." but it's the best they can do.

The Goblinwater is very loud here and the sound of water fills the quiet night and makes it difficult to hear much of anything else.

The party opts for no fire, and they huddle up in the dark. The divide up the watch: Arabella, Skia, Dearic, Heart, Jakob.

The party had no sooner gone to sleep and Arabella had no sooner settled down to keep watch, when there was the sound of small, high voices chittering away in a language she did not understand. The chittering grew heated and seemed to be an argument of some sort.

After some time, a small blue bloom of light appeared, revealing 10 small (smaller than even halflings or gnomes, about 2 feet tall), thin, elfin creatures with green skin and what looked like seaweed for hair. They all looked halfway between scared and determined. Five of them held small bows at the ready, and four of the rest held small daggers.

The remaining one held her hand up. Above it floated the blue ball of light.

"Big people!" she said, in Southron so heavily accented it was almost incomprehensible, "Big people! Why here?"

Silent_p
2021-06-23, 01:50 AM
Arabella could almost feel the exhaustion make its way through her as the adrenaline faded and she was left with pain and worn muscles. She tried not to dwell on their situation, far enough from the relative safety and shelter of the keep to seem nearly insurmountable in the dark. She was focusing on looking forward to a rest when the prospect of that was dashed.

She remained still as the voices chittered nearby, hoping in vain that they would move on and not approach. Too great a hope, she reflected as the light bloomed and the creatures were revealed.

”I am Arabellaphon de Lancet,” she said, giving Heart a gentle shake on the shoulder as she rose slowly to her feet with a grimace. ”We have traveled from the keep to seek stone to rebuild it. We do not intend you any harm.”

Persuasion check: [roll0]
Nature check to identify what kind of creatures these are: [roll1]

Lord of Gifts
2021-06-23, 06:17 PM
Active Effects: None

While Jakob’s role in the fight had been brief, his day had not been easy. Long hours of careful tracking, followed by a trek to find shelter with an elf slung over his shoulders, had left him weary. So when they finally settled down to make camp, Jakob easily settled to sleep, content in the knowledge he had found the Duke’s agents.

Unfortunately, his rest was soon disturbed by high pitched chittering, and a strange blue light. Bolting upright, he scanned for a threat while instinctively grasping for his axe. Finally laying eyes on the creatures did assuage his fear somewhat, as they didn’t seem particularly aggressive. Of course, there were plenty of creatures that were normally harmless, but would fight viciously in defence of their territory.

Navigating by the blue light, he slowly climbed to his feet, careful not to make any sudden movements, and took place next to Arabella.

truemane
2021-06-24, 02:27 PM
One of the small warriors notes that Jakob is awake and watching. He stage-whispers what sounds like a warning and they all look up and look wary.

The leader shushes them.

She concentrates, clearly trying to sort through unfamiliar words. "Keep? Keep rocks? Like house? Only rocks? Big people not serve the Spider?"

The capital is clear in her voice.

JNAProductions
2021-06-24, 03:06 PM
Heart mutters something, still wrapped up in her sleep, but awakens after only a moment of prodding. "Is it morning already?" she asks, a little more comprehensible, and then spots the small humanoids. "Ah. We've got guests."

If the small ones repeat their question, or if anyone tells Heart what's been asked, she'll add "We're passing through-we work with the Duke. She's attempting to make a new home for herself and others-and right now, we're looking for an old quarry we can revamp."

When the little folk mention the spider, Heart winces. "Gods above, no! We got attacked by them, and one of ours is injured from that fight!"

truemane
2021-06-25, 08:11 AM
The leader's brow furrows and her eyes narrow as she tries to follow along. "Kwa-reeee? Reee-vamp? I don't know." And then her eyes widen and she shakes her head emphatically. "No! Not the spiders, THE SPIDER. Biggest Spider. Boss Spider. Most Spider. Uhh.... Queen of Spiders!"

JNAProductions
2021-06-25, 11:31 AM
"Little friend," Heart says, "I do not believe we encountered this 'queen' you speak of. We encountered some spiders that attacked us, and fled the area. And," she adds, hearing the confusion in the small one's voice, "what we're looking for is a place to gather lots of big rocks, so we can build up our home."

Xihirli
2021-06-25, 01:40 PM
Skía pauses her trance to smile at the little things. "Oh my, you’re the cutest things ever! What are you?"

truemane
2021-06-27, 12:15 PM
"Little friend," Heart says, "I do not believe we encountered this 'queen' you speak of. We encountered some spiders that attacked us, and fled the area. And," she adds, hearing the confusion in the small one's voice, "what we're looking for is a place to gather lots of big rocks, so we can build up our home."
She frowns. "Big people strange. But no serve Queen Spider, then maybe... maybe help? My sister, our Princess, Elendiria, is missing. Went exploring with her bodyguards and never came back. One full half-moon gone, now. We think... not know word for you but... frog-people? We think frog-people kidnapped her. Too feirce an enemy for us. But maybe not for you? Big people help?"

Skía pauses her trance to smile at the little things. "Oh my, you’re the cutest things ever! What are you?"
The leader's face clouds over. "Cute? Not cute. No call cute. Is rude. Not know word for you. Water-folk? River-Clan? Fay-rees? Water-fairies?"

She addresses the group. "If Big People help, River-Clan owe a service. And also..." she snaps her teeny fingers and one of the others comes up and opens up a sack on his back. Inside are a number of luminous ivory white balls. Pearls. Perfect, unblemished pearls.

"...can offer payment. Five now. Ten more when complete."

These are called Nixies, which are fae-folk who live under water.

They can control fish.

If there are 10 or more in one place, they can cast a powerful Charm spell.

Silent_p
2021-06-28, 02:28 PM
"We have a duty to our duke," Arabella replies, almost by rote, "and serve at her pleasure."

Seemingly indifferent to the reward, she glances at the others, considering. "But such a rescue may be a worthy diversion... How far and in what direction do you believe Princess Elendiria was taken? Or rather, where are the frog people?"

Lord of Gifts
2021-06-29, 02:35 PM

As the small warriors spoke, Jakob listened and evaluated. They were clearly intelligent, and knew the land better than he did. In his experience, when there were few friends to be found, any relationship became important. The River-Clan seemed to be enemies of the Spiders, so doing them a favour could certainly be useful to the Duke.

Processing this information and coming to a conclusion, he gave Arabella a subtle nod as she looked to him.

Xihirli
2021-06-29, 02:40 PM
"I'd love to help you all!" Skía said. "But our friend here was attacked by the spiders. Do you have any way to fix their venom?"

truemane
2021-06-29, 08:51 PM
Seemingly indifferent to the reward, she glances at the others, considering. [COLOR="#0000FF"]"But such a rescue may be a worthy diversion... How far and in what direction do you believe Princess Elendiria was taken? Or rather, where are the frog people?"
The leader points across the river, where fires can be seen in the distance and drums can be heard faintly. "There. In the swamps. They have a maze."

One of the others comes up behind her and whispers something in her ear. She nods and looks back.

"Bullywugs. That's word. Big people word. Bullywugs took my sister."

"I'd love to help you all!" Skía said. "But our friend here was attacked by the spiders. Do you have any way to fix their venom?"
She shakes her head. "That's forest spider. River-Clan never go there. Plus..." she smirks a little, " River-Clan smart enough not to get bit. "

JNAProductions
2021-06-29, 10:34 PM
"Do you know if she's in danger? I mean, yes, but how imminent is the danger?" Heart asks.

truemane
2021-07-03, 07:29 PM
The leader frowned. "She never gone this long before. Sometimes went across river to see. But always came back. She is... not know word... leader. Leader of Clan. She would not leave us."

Silent_p
2021-07-04, 05:37 PM
"I think this will require discussion," Arabella says carefully. "And I regret that will need to wait until morning. I, for one, must rest if I am to be of any use tomorrow." She looks around the group, trying to get a read on their preliminary thoughts before turning back to the Nixies. "It is a pleasure to have made your acquaintance," she finishes, then moves stiffly back to her spot.

JNAProductions
2021-07-04, 09:20 PM
Heart frowns. She's not inclined to leave those in need, but Arabella has a good point about actually being helpful. "Could we arrange a time to meet you again? We have your best interests at heart-but my companion isn't wrong. We're tired from our encounter with the spiders, so..."

Lord of Gifts
2021-07-07, 03:24 PM

Jakob found himself agreeing with Arabella. As much as they might want to help, they were currently in no shape to do so. Most of them needed rest, and Vincent desperately needed a healer.

"An enemy of the spiders could be a friend to us, and we do help our friends. But we can't abandon our companion, and none of us are fit to storm a Bullywug den without rest."

bladescape
2021-07-07, 06:29 PM
"Bullywug is..." The robed man, still asleep despite all this commotion, mutters a few moments on the etymological beginnings of the words bullywug, then turns over. Then after a few moments more seems to settle back into a restful position. "Southron influences." Adding another unrelated note quietly as he continues to talk even in his sleep.