PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monsters that can Frighten

Kotenkiri
2021-04-13, 09:58 PM
looking to use the Haunted mechanic from Tasha Cauldron but running into issue the monsters I can find so far that can inflict frigented are too weak to be a challenge (Scare Crows/Hags/Banhees)or too powerful Ancient Dragons for a party of 7 level 7 adventurers.
What monsters can I use to try and frighten my players?

Angelalex242
2021-04-13, 10:10 PM
I think Mummies still do fear.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-04-14, 11:39 AM
looking to use the Haunted mechanic from Tasha Cauldron but running into issue the monsters I can find so far that can inflict frigented are too weak to be a challenge (Scare Crows/Hags/Banhees)or too powerful Ancient Dragons for a party of 7 level 7 adventurers.
What monsters can I use to try and frighten my players?

You are the DM, give the frightening presence feature to any monster you want. And describe it as scary. Maybe put "zilla" at the end of the name (Beholderzilla sounds scary).

RogueJK
2021-04-14, 11:47 AM
There's the CR9 "Eye of Fear and Flame" that was published in Mordenkainen's Fiend Folio as well as in Infernal Machine Rebuild. It has a Frighten ability.

Or check out some of the homebrew/3rd party stuff. For example, this upgraded Bodak (https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/monsters-foes/monsters-by-type/undead/bodak/) is a CR9 version of the base monster that has an added Frighten ability.

You can do the same, tweaking other appropriate "scary" monsters to add Frightening abilities.