PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Beast Master Variant Rule

dmhelp
2021-04-14, 12:30 PM
I was thinking of using the following Beast Master tweaks instead of the Tasha's options (so using base PHB Ranger).

Beast Master Ranger's Companion

can also choose any beast in the back of the PHB that a Druid of equal level could Wild Shape into (e.g. dire wolf or giant eagle at level 8)
can be verbally commanded with a "free action"
is proficient in all saving throws
adds double prof bonus to damage instead of single prof bonus for CR 1/4 or less creatures

My concern was the high AC barding would provide on top of all this. I could always have the prof bonus to AC count as a dex mod so that you would only gain 1 or 2 ac from barding at higher levels. But maybe an AC 24 doesn't matter with the low hp of the beast.

Primal Companion just seems a little sterile compared to picking your own animal.

Thoughts?

quindraco
2021-04-14, 02:05 PM
I was thinking of using the following Beast Master tweaks instead of the Tasha's options (so using base PHB Ranger).

Beast Master Ranger's Companion

can also choose any beast in the back of the PHB that a Druid of equal level could Wild Shape into (e.g. dire wolf or giant eagle at level 8)
can be verbally commanded with a "free action"
is proficient in all saving throws
adds double prof bonus to damage instead of single prof bonus for CR 1/4 or less creatures

My concern was the high AC barding would provide on top of all this. I could always have the prof bonus to AC count as a dex mod so that you would only gain 1 or 2 ac from barding at higher levels. But maybe an AC 24 doesn't matter with the low hp of the beast.

Primal Companion just seems a little sterile compared to picking your own animal.

Thoughts?

I mean, barding will just nerf your companion unless you give them proficiency in their barding. But also, this fails to lean into the trope I think WotC was aiming for of one companion that levels with you - failing to scale things like hit points will mean the ranger will act like a druid and change animals as they level.

I think something like this is better for what WotC had in mind:

*Your companion is proficient in any armor (not including shields) or save you have proficiency in, as well as any of the following checks if you are proficient in them: Acro*batics, Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival.
*You may recalculate your companion's hit points to be based on its hit die, its constitution modifier, and your number of hit dice.
*Whenever you gain an ASI or Feat, your companion may gain an ASI or a feat. Your companion may not assign stat points to Intelligence under any circumstance, or take a feat requiring it to do so. Your companion may not cast spells, or take a feat that would grant it spells.