PDA

View Full Version : Build Help (Small Cavalier)!

Akennedy
2007-11-10, 07:13 PM
Hey playgrounders, I was wondering if someone could help me make a cavalier build for a halfling (since all other cavaliers are *ick*) but there are a few restrictions...

I'm playing a NO MAGIC campaign and I plan on having a Riding dog for a mount. However, I would like the mount to be more an animal companion than a mount. I would prefer to stay away from the Paladin side of things, but I'm thinking something like Knight 1-3-ish and Ranger-variant thingy. But, I really have no idea where to start... Also, I would like to try and average a 4+ for skills. The thing is, with no magic, skills become REALLY important and fighter-types, while more powerful than usual, I think skill-monkies are more powerful.

Thanks to all who contribute!

RTGoodman
2007-11-10, 07:21 PM
A friend borrowed my copy of Complete Warrior, so I can't give you too many details, but I know that somewhere in there is a prestige class called the "Halfling Outrider." That might work pretty well for you.

EDIT: Also, are you dead-set on a riding dog? Because I think dinosaurs are a lot cooler (especially the Fleshraker from Monster Manual III), and there's the added benefit of some stuff in Eberron designed for dino-riding Halflings.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-10, 07:24 PM
I'd actually go straight Knight and take the Wild Cohort feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). Maybe go into Wild Plains Outrider (CAdv) or Halfling Outrider (CWar), or both later down the line.

Zincorium
2007-11-10, 07:36 PM
If you're going for an animal companion, even a one or two level dip in the Beastmaster prestige class from complete warrior will drastically increase the effective level you have for an animal companion.

cupkeyk
2007-11-12, 12:06 PM
There is a Mounted Combat Style Ranger in one of them Dragons(possibly 319, I can't be sure i am away from my mags) You get ride by attack at level two, spirited charge at 6, trample at 11; with the same (you need not meet prerequisites, wear only medium or lighter armor, etc from the original fighting styles). Strongheart Halfling Ranger(Mounted Combat Style, Champion of the Wild variant) 6 Cavalier 10 Halfling Outrider 4. What are the prereqs of a Cavalier so I can build the ranger around it? Away from books but I have it most in my head.

Darrin
2007-11-12, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you might want to take a look at a Supermount build:

http://coboard.wikia.com/wiki/Supermount

The Devoted Tracker feat allows you to treat your Paladin mount as your animal companion. Halfling Outrider stacks with both paladin and druid levels separately for calculating bonuses to your mount/animal companion... combine them and you double your bonuses to HD, natural armor, and stat increases.

Temp
2007-11-12, 02:39 PM
The Devoted Tracker feat allows you to treat your Paladin mount as your animal companion. Halfling Outrider stacks with both paladin and druid levels separately for calculating bonuses to your mount/animal companion... combine them and you double your bonuses to HD, natural armor, and stat increases.No Paladin=No Supermount.

How are Gnomes affected by "No Magic"? Do they get a new ability set or are Halflings/Goblins the races to use?