PDA

View Full Version : Saves 'n Stuff

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-10, 07:35 PM
So, I'm about to start playing a marshal in an upcoming game, and I'm trying to choose my auras in a way that will maximize my followers' survival.

Would you guys a massive buff to fort, reflex, or will would have the best chance of keeping my people from getting magicked out of existence? I'm leaning towards Reflex myself - to dodge AoE attacks like fireball - but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-10, 07:37 PM
Definitely not reflex - ref save spells rarely do anything besides damage, which can be overcome in a variety of other ways. Besides, damage doesn't hurt at all in D&D, until you drop.

Will save spells tend to be the nastiest, so I'd go against that. Except if most of your group has a decent will save already, in which case fort is best.

tyckspoon
2007-11-10, 08:15 PM
Depends on what your followers are. If they have decent levels of their own, you don't have to worry overly much about Reflex; like Kurald said, Reflex spells typically only do damage, and not very good damage at that. There aren't all that many wide-area Will effects (that I'm aware of, at least) besides certain Illusions, so that might not be too much trouble; if one of your followers gets Charmed, the rest of them can knock him down and sit on him until he gets better. I would probably go with Fort; effects like Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill can really wreck a battle plan.

Edit: Oh, wait. Frightful Presence and similar monster abilities. Those are Will saves, and having all of your followers Panicked would not be a good thing. 'course, there isn't anything stopping you from taking an aura for more than one save type if you continue to advance as a Marshal.

Temp
2007-11-11, 03:44 AM
Look at the rest of your group. Adjust according to the most common weakness.

And Fort Saves are usually most common; Will saves usually have scarier results.

Ref saves? They usually aren't that big a deal, they don't come up often and even when they do, they often hurt you even once you suceed.