PDA

View Full Version : Whetstone of keen edge

Biggus
2021-04-17, 07:22 AM
This item is mentioned on page 22 of Races of Faerun, but it's not described in that book. Does anyone know where it's from?

Telonius
2021-04-17, 08:57 AM
Can't find any evidence that the item was ever published. (Searching for "whetstones of keen edge" (plural was in the original) gave one result of a question in an older Simple RAW Question thread, but it was never answered. I think it's most likely the item was cut from the book, but they forgot to delete the other mentions of it. If you want to try to recreate it, it seems pretty obvious that the item was intended to bestow the Keen property on a weapon somehow, but distinct from the Scabbard of Keen Edges. Maybe an item that you needed skill ranks in Craft Weaponsmithing or extra time to use (so slightly cheaper than the scabbard); or single- or limited-number uses.

Palanan
2021-04-17, 09:53 AM
According to this entry (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Whetstone), the only appearance of this item is in Races of Faerun. It's mentioned on pages 16, 19 and 22, but apparently nowhere else.

Seems to be an exclusively dwarven item in the Realms, and like Telonius says, there was probably an editorial mistake involved. This is the sort of thing that could've been included in a web enhancement, but evidently dropped off everyone's radar.

Thurbane
2021-04-17, 07:17 PM
Can't find any evidence that the item was ever published. (Searching for "whetstones of keen edge" (plural was in the original) gave one result of a question in an older Simple RAW Question thread, but it was never answered. I think it's most likely the item was cut from the book, but they forgot to delete the other mentions of it. If you want to try to recreate it, it seems pretty obvious that the item was intended to bestow the Keen property on a weapon somehow, but distinct from the Scabbard of Keen Edges. Maybe an item that you needed skill ranks in Craft Weaponsmithing or extra time to use (so slightly cheaper than the scabbard); or single- or limited-number uses.

Yeah, this makes sense.

If you wanted something cheaper than the Scabbard, you could give the Whetstone limited charges.

Biggus
2021-04-17, 07:57 PM
Gah, and here was me thinking I'd found a handy new item I didn't know about. Thanks all.

I did find stats for it online (it only cost 4,000GP but you had to use it for 10 minutes to grant Keen Edge for an hour) but they didn't mention what book it was from; I guess they must have made them up themselves after failing to find it.