PDA

View Full Version : Multiplanar dungeon puzzles

ParasocialTroop
2021-04-17, 03:24 PM
I'm looking to make a dungeon in a pocket plane/dimension. Running pathfinder FYI but just looking for ideas.

The gimic of the dungeon is that it is several overlapping dungeons/maps and the players get an item that lets them shift between them (with the constraint that the grid is the same for the different planes).

I'm trying to think of puzzles for the dungeon. Things like, locked door on plane A, switch on plane B. But ideally a little more engaging. I'm trying to draw inspiration from Zelda games, as they do this well.

One issue I'm having is that if you're in a 1st/3rd person video game, it can be engaging to have a simple puzzle and make it engaging by making it tough to execute. i.e. locked door on plane A, switch on plane B and a timer so you have to run around and switch planes quickly to solve the simple lock/key puzzle. However, in a table top game, I find that execution of things doesn't generally feel as engaging as in a video game.

Any ideas or examples in published material for puzzles spanning multiple dimensions/levels of a dungeon? And how might you make the most engaging puzzle in a D20 type system?

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-04-17, 08:14 PM
Hmm, Titanfall 2 actually has some great combat and platforming challenges based on travelling through time in the same location, which is basically the same premise. Have different enemies, obstacles, and platforms in different dimensions. Switch to the right one at the right time to chain together jumps, climbs, and rope swings, or just to gain a tactical advantage in combat.

Start it off with relatively simple puzzles. Once they've gotten the hang of switching dimensions at the right time to solve their problems, start introducing complications.

Possible Complications:

Traps that interfere with the ideal place to stand in order to switch.
Only one person can hold the switch device, and using it takes an action; you have to work together to ensure that they're in the right place and not under siege by interfering enemies when it comes time to switch.
Some puzzles now require different party members coordinating despite being in different dimensions at the time.
IRL time limits before the puzzle/room resets, so they can't just work through the puzzle slowly and methodically; the final execution at least has to be fast and coordinated.
Some rooms are a hostile environment in one or more dimension (on fire, pits, full of enemies, underwater, webs, etc.), requiring them to specialize which party member gets what buffs in order to survive, perhaps with items that provide the necessary buff but only for a single character.
In this room, you can't switch dimensions freely, only by passing through these arches.
Enemies that follow you through the dimensions, forcing you to switch frequently to stay one step ahead of them.

And then, of course, start mixing and matching those as well.

ParasocialTroop
2021-04-18, 10:20 PM
Thanks, those are some good tips, gets my creativity flowing.

I like the idea of having traps on the square that they clearly need to get to for dimension switching. I'll probably make them visible, at least for some so that it's more like a puzzle than a surprise.

The action economy of the switch device will be something to consider. Needing to hold off enemies to switch is good. Most of the time they'll just clear a room but if there is a timed goal, then the party could be forced to protect someone switching.
I'll probably have one switch device for the party at the start, then they can loot more from the mooks and that will allow for more complex puzzles later where the party is split (not much I don't like splitting the party), so the cooperation idea is fun too.

Probably wont do IRL timing on puzzles, but it's something for me to keep in mind.

For environmental effects, that is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I might tie the environmental defense item into the switch item. But as you said, for only one type/person at a time.

As the BBEG is the one who made the dungeon and the switch devices, it'll make sense for them to be able to shut off the access at certain points, and their lackies will be able to follow in some instances. I'll have Xill incorporated, which will have the ability to do the dimensional shift innately.

Thanks much

Damon_Tor
2021-04-19, 12:08 AM
In one dimension, the dungeon is flooded with water. So the players go to the other dimension.

Except it's also flooded.

With lava.