View Full Version : Guessing Next-strip predictions

Pages : [1] 2

arimareiji
2021-04-18, 06:24 PM
Removed of own volition.

brian 333
2021-04-18, 06:38 PM
Cutaway to Team Evil?

I want to see Orange Voice in the next page.

ziproot
2021-04-18, 06:38 PM
Suggested format, in case the thread lasts longer than an unarticulated thought in Veldrina's head (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0998.html)*: Specify the strip where you think this will occur.
* - If it actually does, it could be fun to look back on.

For example, in 1232 I hereby solemnly predict that we'll get one last cutaway (prior to Serini ambushing the party in 1233).

I was thinking maybe checking in on Team Evil or Sabine/IFCC.

Mike Havran
2021-04-21, 01:04 PM
My prediction is that the discussion with Thor will continue until Thor starts to suggest another approach, and at this point the spell ends abruptly because Durkon gets a crossbow bolt sneak attack to the head.

Fyraltari
2021-04-21, 01:22 PM
This thread has potential.

I suggest we preface our guesses with the strip number for future clarity's sake, as I can definitely see myself going back through this later on to see how accurate we were.

1232: The discussion between Durkon, Thor and Odin continues. Thor asks for clarification about the World-in-the-Rift and/or explains what he's found out about it.

WanderingMist
2021-04-21, 09:26 PM
This thread has potential.

I suggest we preface our guesses with the strip number for future clarity's sake, as I can definitely see myself going back through this later on to see how accurate we were.

1132: The discussion between Durkon, Thor and Odin continues. Thor asks for clarification about the World-in-the-Rift and/or explains what he's found out about it.

Sorry, but strip 1132 will actually go this way. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1132.html)

DataNinja
2021-04-21, 10:23 PM
It's not strictly specifics for the next strip, but I predict that Elan's important spell (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html) is going to see some use here to help the Order fight back.

halfeye
2021-04-21, 10:47 PM
There won't be much fighting or action, that sort of strip comes out quicker.

Ginasius
2021-04-22, 04:33 AM
When I was immersed in Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire fandoms I used to make the following prediction for the next chapter or book:

"Some people are going to die."

ByzantiumBhuka
2021-04-22, 09:10 PM
1233: Given the nature of this comic, the next strip will probably consist mainly of Durkon discussing his Commune with the rest of OotS, perhaps with a cutaway to Team Evil at the end. Lots of interesting things for the party to talk about; it'll be fun to see how Roy in particular reacts.

This looks like it'll be a really fun thing. Kudos on the idea, arimareiji!

Squire Doodad
2021-04-22, 09:12 PM
1233: A cutaway by the end, probably.

Fyraltari
2021-04-26, 05:00 PM
1233: The Order discusses things for a bit and then a cut away, but not to Xykon's group or Serini, I'm more thinking the Monster in the Dark with the bugbears or, and that's a longshot, new arrivals the the pole be it Hinjo and the Azurites or the Vector Legion or somebody else.

Blue Dragon
2021-04-26, 06:01 PM
1233: The Order discusses things for a bit and then a cut away, but not to Xykon's group or Serini, I'm more thinking the Monster in the Dark with the bugbears or, and that's a longshot, new arrivals the the pole be it Hinjo and the Azurites or the Vector Legion or somebody else.

10 GP in a cutaway to somebody who didn't show up in this book yet.

Ionathus
2021-04-27, 01:08 PM
1233: I think Serini's attack is about to pop off. If you count Durkon's Commune, we've basically had two cutaways from "The Order is waiting in this tunnel" already.

Storywise, they've been waiting for a while now (as evidenced by Elan sitting on the ground, Durkon having the time to Commune, etc). It's time for a good old-fashioned action sequence.

As for Serini's chances, I think she's going to do something less-predictable than take out V or Elan first. Maybe she neutralizes Roy with something clever and outside of the "sneak attack with poison" box we've seen from her already? Serini has apparently been watching events unfold -- I wouldn't be surprised if she isolated Roy as the leader and decides to take him out so the rest of the team can't strategize as effectively.

Mike Havran
2021-04-27, 01:15 PM
1233 Some more discussion about their next plan of how to kill Xykon without killing Redcloak, with some more reminiscence. The action will begin in 1234.

Ionathus
2021-04-27, 02:02 PM
Is it mean to think that if Serini wants to first eliminate the person with the best chance of thinking quickly to thwart her, she'll actually target Haley? Possibly Minrah for her quick thinking at the Redcloak encounter (if she saw it, not a given since she was brewing amnesia potion)... or on a different track, V by virtue of having spells that could eliminate her advantages.

I don't think it's mean at all! Haley would also be a natural choice, especially if you don't want anybody "thinking like a rogue" to undo your ambush.

I mostly picked Roy because:

When discussing Serini's ambush, people in other threads have seemed fixated on the idea that she'll take out the casters first. A great way to show Serini as a competent badass who thinks outside the box would be to have her not do that predictable strategy, but still have her choice succeed because she "went beyond the meta", so to speak. In past battles, The Giant seems to have intentionally avoided the "obvious" choice, if doing so makes for a better story -- like when Z neutralized Haley in his opening strike against Vaarsuvius, even though according to metagame "tiers", he should've targeted either Elan or V, one of the two spellcasters. That encounter showed how V was learning to think tactically and even admit they needed a kobold ranger's help to defeat a fellow wizard. It made the story more interesting, and I can see a similar thing happen here. Maybe she takes out the "leader" but the rest of the team has grown in competence and they don't fall apart again, like they did in DStP?
Since Roy's both the leader and Lawful Good, it's possible she'll get Soon Kim vibes from him and decide he's the one most likely to blow the gate, so she can't afford to let him escape even more so than the others. He's the one who blew up the previous gate, after all.

Fyraltari
2021-04-27, 02:20 PM
I don't think Serini is going to attack them alone. Orange is the wildcard there, and that's assuming she doesn't have more helpers. It's not outside the realm of possibility for her to attack everybody at once.

KorvinStarmast
2021-04-28, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she isolated Roy as the leader and decides to take him out so the rest of the team can't strategize as effectively. A hundred soldiers ably led defeat a thousand without a head. Take out the leadership, or, as we parse it in 21st century warfare: disable the Command and Control hubs/nodes :smallcool:

But OoTS has a robust command structure: Haley as second in command has grown. Even though as a leader she's not as good as Roy, she's still got the brains and the leader role figured out well enough to do the old "next adventurer up" thing. Plus, she's a Rogue, and I think she'll have a few counters to whatever Serini is trying to accomplish. And she has wands (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0970.html).

Is it mean to think that if Serini wants to first eliminate the person with the best chance of thinking quickly to thwart her, she'll actually target Haley? That was my gut feel.

Since Roy's both the leader and Lawful Good, it's possible she'll get Soon Kim vibes from him and decide he's the one most likely to blow the gate, so she can't afford to let him escape even more so than the others. He's the one who blew up the previous gate, after all.
That too.

On the other hand, standard adventuring party tactics is "take out the enemy casters first" and Serini was a long time adventurer ... do leopards reallly change their spost? Miko disabled V right off the bat when she took on the Order.

Ionathus
2021-04-28, 03:05 PM
A hundred soldiers ably led defeat a thousand without a head. Take out the leadership, or, as we parse it in 21st century warfare: disable the Command and Control hubs/nodes :smallcool:

But OoTS has a robust command structure: Haley as second in command has grown. Even though as a leader she's not as good as Roy, she's still got the brains and the leader role figured out well enough to do the old "next adventurer up" thing. Plus, she's a Rogue, and I think she'll have a few counters to whatever Serini is trying to accomplish. And she has wands (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0970.html).
That was my gut feel.
That too.

On the other hand, standard adventuring party tactics is "take out the enemy casters first" and Serini was a long time adventurer ... do leopards reallly change their spost? Miko disabled V right off the bat when she took on the Order.

Right, that was my thought in my second post as well -- that The Order will prove more independent than she expected, and even without Roy's leadership they'll hold their own.

Precure
2021-04-28, 08:46 PM
Rocks fall, everyone dies.

brian 333
2021-04-28, 09:50 PM
Actually, the first target will be Durkon. See Invisibility is an important asset in a fight against a rogue, and the ability to heal and reverse all of the poison damage is a hard counter to the strategy she used on the paladins.

1. Durkon
2. Minrah
3. Elan
4. Vaarsuvius
5. Haley
6. Belkar
7. Roy

I anticipate the reveal of Orange, whose role will be to keep the melee characters distracted and everyone else unaware of the real danger until it is too late.

Brumagris
2021-04-29, 01:12 AM
Actually, the first target will be Durkon. See Invisibility is an important asset in a fight against a rogue, and the ability to heal and reverse all of the poison damage is a hard counter to the strategy she used on the paladins.

1. Durkon
2. Minrah
3. Elan
4. Vaarsuvius
5. Haley
6. Belkar
7. Roy

I anticipate the reveal of Orange, whose role will be to keep the melee characters distracted and everyone else unaware of the real danger until it is too late.

So you are counting on Durkon preparing the right spells? that is a LOT of speculation down there :D

Ionathus
2021-04-29, 09:00 AM
You have good points about Serini not being likely to try to out-munchkin the Order. Personally I hadn't even thought about it in those terms, aside from "V is the one best equipped to yank the rug out from under her biggest advantages." Serini has to win without giving them a fair chance, and I don't think she can if the Order has any meaningful way to target her. (That and I keep thinking back to the fight against Durkula, where they had a great plan but the enemy's spell effects quickly yanked their biggest strength out from under them. It took a Durkon ex machina to avoid TPK.)

If it helps explain why I say my opinion may be mean: Imo, Roy isn't much of an immediate loss tactically. He's great at inspiring others to keep following, but in the middle of a fight... historically, I wouldn't bet against the weight of his bad ideas to be comparable to the weight of his good ideas. Or even to outweigh them. And he's good at battering things into submission, but only the ones that give him the courtesy of a fair fight.

Although tbh, maybe I'm just still aghast at the quick transition from "We should leave the defenses of the gate alone, we can't afford to take chances anymore" to "Yeah, let's jump out of the portal and attack Team Evil, because if we win then yay".

Because if they lose (and there seems to be a very significant chance), they just gave away the biggest card Serini has to play: Keeping Team Evil spinning their wheels fighting monsters (under the premise that they just have to pick the right door), playing a shell game (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0428.html). Replace "shell" below, with "door".
:haley: A con man doesn't choose to play the shell game with you if there is any possibility of him actually losing.
:haley: The con isn't in getting you to pick the wrong shell. The con is in getting you to accept that the basic premise of the game is still being followed.
:haley: The con is in getting you to pick a shell at all.

But then again... looking back at that comic, Roy seizes on the idea she tossed out and turns it into a plan. But Haley's the one who tossed it out, despite her being the one who explained shell games to Roy and Hinjo. It's just one incident and usually she's a lot smarter, but it still diminishes her credibility as the only one who can out-rogue a rogue.

I'd argue that Roy's biggest contribution is keeping his head screwed on mid-fight, which is a big asset if an Epic-level rogue is trying to ambush and disorient you. Even if his (tactically) good ideas don't outweigh his bad ones (and I'm genuinely curious what examples of bad tactics you think he's displayed in the past 3 arcs, post-War & XPs), it's his ability to rally the team and keep them focused that would count the most. It would also be a nice payoff for the chaos his death threw the party into during DStP!

As for their decision to attack Team Evil right now, I also don't agree it's the best choice but I understand the logic. If Team Evil has already burnt not-insignificant resources on a door or two, plus an inconclusive combat with Durkon & Minrah, now might be a good time to strike while the iron's hot. Their cover is already blown thanks to Durkon, so now TE will be actively looking for anything strange and is that much more likely to figure out the portal trap. Plus, Redcloak might have been optimizing his spells for monster combat, rather than combat with a team of adventurers. If they don't attack now, they lose that advantage.

And, depending on how self-aware you think the characters are...I've been a PC in enough sessions that started with "let's strategize and optimize this ambush for 3 hours before attacking at the perfect moment" and ended with "wow we overthought that; if we'd just planned a little bit, then rushed in and hit hard-and-fast, it would've been much easier."

halfeye
2021-04-29, 05:19 PM
1233 will be another talky/exposition comic.

WanderingMist
2021-04-29, 05:42 PM
I don't have a lot of time this morning to go through and compile the specifics that you deserve (because that's a fair implied question), but generally speaking I think you touched on one big element already: No battle plan long survives first contact with the enemy. And Roy doesn't often think on his feet, or in terms of "If I were my opponent, what could I do to screw us over?".

He leans more toward "Let's do something that caters to our strengths", which is generally valuable... but others have their own. Even when he breaks character in this regard, he still doesn't tend to shift gears when his opponent shifts gears -- e.g. he does Mind Blank against the vampires, he doesn't plan for the semi-predictable (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1122.html) (panel 1) or shift gears until he's half-dead. If not for the Durkon ex machina, it would have been TPK.

The flip side of that is that it can fairly be described as keeping your head screwed on straight, which is a necessity against shock and indecision per se. Truly there are times when that's invaluable, and what I should have done a lot better job of expressing is that I don't think Roy's leadership is an immediate loss mid-fight against Serini.

Because against someone whose whole character build enables using your expectations against you, particularly when you don't know they're coming... it sorta reminds me of a manga where one character pokes gentle fun at another character's awesome lightning-fast technique (Rakan and Negi in Negima). Sure, it lets him be super-effective against most opponents by taking the initiative for what he plans to do. But it also locks him into that course of action (for instance, running from point A to point B). If someone figures it out and can react, it's like calling them up and saying "Hi, I'm going to be here at point B in 0.1 seconds. Stick your fist out, and I'll run into it." In the same way, if Serini knows what they're planning and how they'll probably react (on her own home turf, no less), all she has to do is is what she specializes in: "Hit 'em where they ain't" (https://brainzooming.com/hit-em-where-they-aint-a-strategy-of-surprise-least-resistance/588/), the famous philosophy of another short person. (^_~)
Also: I'd agree wrt the chaos following Roy's death -- but they did okay in the immediate aftermath, the big problem was their long-term loss of cohesion without someone to keep them focused on a common goal.
Question: How long has it been since you read Negima? Remember that it didn't matter that the opponent knew where Negi would be, the entire point was distracting Rakan from the fact that Negi was drawing a monstrously large spell circle mid-fight.

1233: Blackwing is assassinated.

Metastachydium
2021-04-30, 05:46 AM
1233: Roy finally begins to show signs of radiation poisoning.

b_jonas
2021-04-30, 08:42 AM
The next strip, #1233, will return to Serini. She'll reveal that she's the quasi-immortal shapeshifter daughter of the Snarl, who has appeared in the comic under various other guises, including Redcloak's Niece, the Monster in the Dark, Trigak, and Shoulder Pad Guy. She will thus fulfill Haley's and Belkar's prediction that Trigak will be a recurring villain, (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html) even if her chimera body got destroyed.

Ionathus
2021-04-30, 09:14 AM
1234: This "I think Redcloak is right" conversation continues. Either they loop in the other party members, or Roy & Durkon keep debating it and trying to figure out how they can approach the situation and possibly get through to Redcloak.

Roy's statements to Julia back on the ship come to mind: he expressed doubt about putting Durkon's mission ahead of stopping The Plan right away...I wonder if this will change that?

Riftwolf
2021-04-30, 01:37 PM
Not sure if it'll be next page, but I'm guessing the next diplomatic target will be Oona.

Metastachydium
2021-04-30, 01:46 PM
Not sure if it'll be next page, but I'm guessing the next diplomatic target will be Oona.

Strip no. 1234:
Xykon, Redcloak and Oona: [Emerge from the tunnel.]
Haley: [Disarms trap.]
Roy: [Polite & pleasant.] Would you, gentlemen, excuse us for a second? We would love to have a brief discussion with Ms. Oona here, mainly about the possibility of her usurping [gestures towards Redcloak] your position, Sir.

Riftwolf
2021-04-30, 04:18 PM
Strip no. 1234:
Roy: [Polite & pleasant.] Would you, gentlemen, excuse us for a second? We would love to have a brief discussion with Ms. Oona here, mainly about the possibility of her usurping [gestures towards Redcloak] your position, Sir.

More like, if they want to find out what all goblins want, its probably a good idea to ask more than one goblin.
(Also I didn't say 'next page', Roy won't get his confrontation with Xykon right now; the party's gonna get hit by Serini before that happens.)

WanderingMist
2021-04-30, 10:16 PM
1234: Blackwing goes turncoat and assassinates the Order.

Metastachydium
2021-05-01, 05:40 AM
More like, if they want to find out what all goblins want, its probably a good idea to ask more than one goblin.
(Also I didn't say 'next page', Roy won't get his confrontation with Xykon right now; the party's gonna get hit by Serini before that happens.)

1. You quite literally said that you are „not sure if it'll be next page” which implied that you are not sure it won't be.
2. BUt that's not really important because mainly I just tried to be funny (with little success, apparently) and I mean no harm.

No, not yet! He'll ominously pierce the skin of a potato first so that we know he's been deceiving V for a long time, making them believe he's harmless!

pearl jam
2021-05-01, 07:45 AM
1. You quite literally said that you are „not sure if it'll be next page” which implied that you are not sure it won't be.
2. BUt that's not really important because mainly I just tried to be funny (with little success, apparently) and I mean no harm.

No, not yet! He'll ominously pierce the skin of a potato first so that we know he's been deceiving V for a long time, making them believe he's harmless!

I think the "next page" there was referring to the fact that his post ended up on the next page of this thread from yours that he quoted, but I am not certain of that.

Buckethead
2021-05-01, 01:25 PM
1233:
Roy:"Well, if Redcloak is right about Goblins being treated poorly by us we really need to make things right."
Durkon:"Lad, thar's no easy way to say this'n but Redcloak DID try to implosion me."
Roy:"And you resisted it? Did you consider how resisting his magic would make him feel? He got that magic from his god..."
Durkon:"I'm na' like i'm saying I wanted to have mah head caved in, but I can see why he's nae happy about me head going on uncaved!"
Vaarsuvius:"While channeling fiendish energy I murdered 1/4th of all Black Dragons and 1/5th of all gate defenders. Some people get the short end of the STICK, that's the ORDER of things."
FIN

Rrmcklin
2021-05-01, 01:50 PM
Not about the strip itself, but I do predict the next discussion thread will be shut down too, for three in a row.

pearl jam
2021-05-02, 04:26 AM
Not about the strip itself, but I do predict the next discussion thread will be shut down too, for three in a row.

lol.

I might not be willing to bet on that happening, but I certainly wouldn't bet against it at the moment either. :smalltongue:

Riftwolf
2021-05-02, 02:49 PM

Predicting this feels like making a bet on the result of an election. It's not illegal, but feels wrong...

ThriKreenLich
2021-05-03, 09:29 AM
I predict that Roy and Durkon's friendship will become irreparable, possibly due to the events of next strip, but most likely due to the word balloons of next strip.

pearl jam
2021-05-08, 03:47 AM

Can we get a ruling on whether the current one having been locked for a second time already fulfills this prediction? :smallbiggrin:

Riftwolf
2021-05-08, 04:02 AM
Unlikely prediction: the strip before the Xykon fight will be called '99 problems' and the strip where Xykon is defeated will be 'But a Lich ain't one'.

WanderingMist
2021-05-08, 09:49 AM
Can we get a ruling on whether the current one having been locked for a second time already fulfills this prediction? :smallbiggrin:

This is actually the third time the current thread's been locked. Truemane, Peelee, then truemane a second time.

Predicting this feels like making a bet on the result of an election. It's not illegal, but feels wrong...

This is usually referred to as "voting".

pearl jam
2021-05-08, 09:53 AM
This is actually the third time the current thread's been locked. Truemane, Peelee, then truemane a second time.

lol :smalltongue:

Riftwolf
2021-05-08, 10:02 AM

Without getting too much into real life situations, betting shops in the UK have run odds for election and referendum results for a while. Its perfectly legal, but seems wrong..

CountDVB
2021-05-08, 11:24 AM
For 1234, I suspect a brief debate over on dealing with Redcloak and the plight of the goblins. I also suspect a reference to Roy’s speech to Xykon over why he still fought against him: someone has to be willing to be responsible for what is going on and that having Xykon rule over things is still detrimental to the world’s soul.

Heck, if they tell the others this, Haley may come it as if the world became one giant Greysky City and she has admitted how that living like that screwed her up.

As such, they have to be willing to be responsible for how the mortals have been to the goblins.

arimareiji
2021-05-10, 07:29 AM
Third time's the charm, I guess. Hopefully the next one will be more inclined to the type of serious discussion that's desired.

XD

Didn't expect to have cause to post here again, but you hit my funny bone too hard with this one. (^_~)

halfeye
2021-05-12, 06:29 PM
1233 will be another talky/exposition comic.

It's looking as if 1234 will be another exposition comic.

Squire Doodad
2021-05-13, 11:56 PM
1234 will contain a sequence of numbers in quick succession!

Riftwolf
2021-05-14, 04:14 AM
1234 will contain a sequence of numbers in quick succession!

The comic will be a musical interlude of '5-6-7-8' by Steps.

Fyraltari
2021-05-19, 04:00 PM

And we have a winner!

Mariele
2021-05-19, 04:17 PM
1233: Blackwing is assassinated.

1233: Roy finally begins to show signs of radiation poisoning.

Strip no. 1234:

I think it's time for me to go to bed because these caused me to hurt my face from laughing so hard. WanderingMist and Metastachydium are the heroes we need, but not the ones we deserve.

Ionathus
2021-05-19, 04:17 PM
1235: The last half of 1234 refocusing on "we'll probably still need to beat up Redcloak and still have to figure out a solution" makes me think the philosophical debate phase is done for now, and the "something physically happens" phase is about to begin. My money's still on Serini.

pearl jam
2021-05-19, 09:40 PM
And we have a winner!

Does this make them a two-time winner now? lol

Dion
2021-05-19, 09:46 PM
1235: Thog eats ice-cream.

pearl jam
2021-05-19, 09:53 PM
1235: Thog eats ice-cream.

That would be a surprising scene change. lol

Dion
2021-05-19, 10:43 PM
That would be a surprising scene change. lol

I’m not so sure. I bet Thog eats ice cream whenever he can. In fact, he’s probably eating ice cream during most of the strips.

pearl jam
2021-05-19, 11:03 PM
Yes, that's true. I was trying to indicate that by saying "a surprising scene change."

Not that Thog eating ice cream is surprising, but I would be surprised to cut to see that at this moment. :smalltongue:

arimareiji
2021-05-19, 11:28 PM
Yes, that's true. I was trying to indicate that by saying "a surprising scene change."

Not that Thog eating ice cream is surprising, but I would be surprised to cut to see that at this moment. :smalltongue:

"Tonight, we eat ice cream IN HELL"

pearl jam
2021-05-20, 12:19 AM
Presumably very quickly?

Riftwolf
2021-05-20, 01:21 PM
Panel one: Tarquin army appears round the edge of Monster Hollow.
Panel Two: Close-up of Tarquin smugly grinning
Panel Three: Tarquin holds up rabbit.
Panel Four: Elan reaction shot
Panel Five: Tarquin punches rabbit.
Name of the strip: He did say to make a note of it.

arimareiji
2021-05-20, 03:43 PM
I think it's time for me to go to bed because these caused me to hurt my face from laughing so hard. WanderingMist and Metastachydium are the heroes we need, but not the ones we deserve.

Panel one: Tarquin army appears round the edge of Monster Hollow.
Panel Two: Close-up of Tarquin smugly grinning
Panel Three: Tarquin holds up rabbit.
Panel Four: Elan reaction shot
Panel Five: Tarquin punches rabbit.
Name of the strip: He did say to make a note of it.

And Riftwolf. (^_^)b

Presumably very quickly?

Good point.

...unless hell is working in a gas station* for eternity, and you sneak bites when you're stocking the freezer.

* - Don't blame me for this weird non sequitur, blame the person who created the button "Of course I believe there's a literal hell. I work retail." that I saw aeons ago. (^_~)

Edit: Adding another reply

brian 333
2021-05-23, 08:23 AM
In 1235 we will see TE, (minus MitD,) but before Haley can do her thing Serini will make her move, along with Orange Voice.

Durkon will be the first to fall.

Ionathus
2021-05-24, 09:14 AM

One of my favorite bits about Questionable Content is that whenever somebody yells at the author "what's Steve doing?!? We haven't seen him in the comic in forever!!" he will post a comic of Steve eating cereal.

brian 333
2021-05-24, 09:44 AM
I like to guess what comes next, but I admit I am put off by readers who feel emtitled to demand the author write this or that. I'm sure the above example is all in good fun, but I have strong beliefs regarding artistic integrity and how any artist's first responsibility is to his muse.

Webcomics appear to us to be conversations, but they are not. The artist must compose them like a painting. And if he paints a happy little tree everywhere we readers demand, there won't be room for the mountain he wanted to paint.

Ionathus
2021-05-24, 11:09 AM
Webcomics appear to us to be conversations, but they are not.

Exactly; well said.

This is one of the things I don't really love about the fanbases of both webcomics (especially this one, given its very active forum) and narrative podcasts. Even though Rich recently said he doesn't like to "sell himself" in a parasocial content creator relationship with his fans, the way this forum talks about his work is still very evocative of that same dynamic. Fans who believe they are right and even that they have the right to criticize the work with a very familiar, authoritative tone, as if they're just an old friend understands the author completely and is just giving personal, invited feedback.

I don't see the same thing with books or movies, which are neatly packaged and published in a completed format from the start. People can criticize them, but it's in a much more detached format. It doesn't hurt that the whole story is told all at once, meaning that people don't have the time to say "I don't get it, therefore the author is a bad author" when the explanation is still obviously forthcoming.

Serialized fiction can be fun, but the nitpicking and sense of familiarity from the fan community is exhausting at times.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 12:15 PM
... but I have strong beliefs regarding artistic integrity and how any artist's first responsibility is to his muse. I am with you.

Webcomics appear to us to be conversations, but they are not. The artist must compose them like a painting. And if he paints a happy little tree everywhere we readers demand, there won't be room for the mountain he wanted to paint. *golf clap*

I think Rich went on record a while back about why he has to/had to step away from the forum. Not gonna search that, though, it's self evident.

brian 333
2021-05-27, 11:47 PM
In 1235 we will see TE, (minus MitD,) but before Haley can do her thing Serini will make her move, along with Orange Voice.

And my 100% score for predicting what Mr.Burlew will write next remains intact!

I have been perfectly wrong every time, but a perfect record is a perfect record!

arimareiji
2021-05-28, 01:58 PM

One of my favorite bits about Questionable Content is that whenever somebody yells at the author "what's Steve doing?!? We haven't seen him in the comic in forever!!" he will post a comic of Steve eating cereal.

I like to guess what comes next, but I admit I am put off by readers who feel emtitled to demand the author write this or that. I'm sure the above example is all in good fun, but I have strong beliefs regarding artistic integrity and how any artist's first responsibility is to his muse.

It's hard for me to guess what you meant to reference -- to me, the above post and the series of jokes that led to it seem confusingly far from being a demand. But I certainly agree in principle.

I'm frequently astonished by the way other posters in other threads have excoriated the Giant because he doesn't write OotS the way they like -- e.g. as a DM who strictly obeys their personal interpretation of the rules, and/or portraying every goblin being an Evil Villain Who Needs Killing from birth and who deserves as miserable of a short life as the gods can make.

I hope this will remain a place where people can make serious, or joking, predictions without being mis-perceived as -- let alone in reality -- demanding that the Giant fulfill their wishes.

Edreyn
2021-05-28, 02:14 PM
Demanding from author to write following someone's wishes is dumb. Why bother reading then? Just imagine the story you like, or even write yourself.

I don't much like the current arc about goblins needing help, but that's why I read comic (or any other book) - I want to be surprised by what author does next.

Dion
2021-05-28, 02:16 PM
I demand of the Giant that Thog, if he is still alive, must eat ice cream.

I’m not saying the Giant needs to draw it. Thog can do it off panel, unremarked on by anyone in strip.

I’m just saying that I don’t want an epilogue like “and Thog never got to eat ice cream ever again”.

arimareiji
2021-05-28, 02:52 PM
Demanding from author to write following someone's wishes is dumb. Why bother reading then? Just imagine the story you like, or even write yourself.

I don't much like the current arc about goblins needing help, but that's why I read comic (or any other book) - I want to be surprised by what author does next.
Well-said.

It's very easy to think, when we get an unpleasant surprise, that surprises are inherently bad. If you ask me, "no surprises" would be a literal hell. (^_^)

I’m not saying the Giant needs to draw it. Thog can do it off panel, unremarked on by anyone in strip.

I’m just saying that I don’t want an epilogue like “and Thog never got to eat ice cream ever again”.
Smart@$$. :smallamused:

pearl jam
2021-05-28, 04:59 PM

If I demand an epilogue to include that, then we can see which of us the Giant loves more. :smallbiggrin:

Smart@$$. :smallamused:

I'll just go ahead and save you the trouble. :smalltongue:

brian 333
2021-05-28, 11:41 PM
It's hard for me to guess what you meant to reference -- to me, the above post and the series of jokes that led to it seem confusingly far from being a demand. But I certainly agree in principle.

I'm frequently astonished by the way other posters in other threads have excoriated the Giant because he doesn't write OotS the way they like -- e.g. as a DM who strictly obeys their personal interpretation of the rules, and/or portraying every goblin being an Evil Villain Who Needs Killing from birth and who deserves as miserable of a short life as the gods can make.

I hope this will remain a place where people can make serious, or joking, predictions without being mis-perceived as -- let alone in reality -- demanding that the Giant fulfill their wishes.

I apologize for my lack of clarity. I did not intend you to think the criticism was directed at you. My comment referred to forum posters who expected an author to show them what a specific character was doing at a particular time. Sure, it was a joke and the author went along with it, and everyone had a good time.

But writing is a craft, and it takes a craftsman to do it well. We readers and critics are certainly entitled to our opinions, but we are not the writer of this, or any other, webcomic. Our opinions on the crafting of a webcomic matter about as much as the opinion of a janitor matter to a brain surgeon. The brain surgeon shouldn't take the janitor's opinion seriously, and the janitor is a fool if he thinks the brain surgeon should.

If Rich ever needs help with a broken window, my experience as a handyman may be useful. But I am not entitled to demand he write or explain anything, and I certainly have no authority to declare that he wrote it wrong.

arimareiji
2021-05-29, 12:44 AM
I apologize for my lack of clarity. I did not intend you to think the criticism was directed at you. My comment referred to forum posters who expected an author to show them what a specific character was doing at a particular time. Sure, it was a joke and the author went along with it, and everyone had a good time.

But writing is a craft, and it takes a craftsman to do it well. We readers and critics are certainly entitled to our opinions, but we are not the writer of this, or any other, webcomic. Our opinions on the crafting of a webcomic matter about as much as the opinion of a janitor matter to a brain surgeon. The brain surgeon shouldn't take the janitor's opinion seriously, and the janitor is a fool if he thinks the brain surgeon should.

If Rich ever needs help with a broken window, my experience as a handyman may be useful. But I am not entitled to demand he write or explain anything, and I certainly have no authority to declare that he wrote it wrong.
I'm glad to hear it, and all the more glad I was more careful with my words than I can sometimes be (by explicitly referring to other posters in other threads).

I've seen others imply or even assert that they know better than the Giant how he should craft his story, but I have no memory of you doing the same. And I'm glad that you also find it... to be safe, regrettable.

Last but not least, I'm also glad if I understood correctly that you were only talking about the QC posters -- I misunderstood, and thought you meant the posts in this thread. (I'd noticed you definitely hadn't directed criticism toward me, but I was less sure whether you believed people in this thread were making serious demands.)

brian 333
2021-05-29, 09:18 PM
I think you got my intent. Guessing what comes next is fun. Demanding the author do this or that is not.

I don't know where the story is going, and so far I am enjoying it. I can't wait to read the story Mr. Burlew wants to write.

And if I could do it better I'd have my own webcomic.

Brumagris
2021-06-01, 05:18 AM
Seems like Roy and Durkon closed their conversation with an agreement and the rest of the team got their screen time. 10 gold that in 1236 we will see some action. I am going to bet on a decoy tactic from Serini that will keep the Order somehow engaged. Perhaps even a comment from Blackwing on something approaching. Bit of talk and an ominous cliffhanger to open the real fight in 1237.

And for the big bet long shot, by 1240 we will have TE leaving the cave undisturbed and Blackwing having to mount a rescue operation.

Fyraltari
2021-06-01, 05:43 AM
Blackwing having to mount a rescue operation.

And he's going to hum the Mission: Impossible theme, the entire time.

arimareiji
2021-06-02, 07:50 PM
And my 100% score for predicting what Mr.Burlew will write next remains intact!

I have been perfectly wrong every time, but a perfect record is a perfect record!

Any ideas for 1236, or is better to quit while you're ahead/behind?
(I've spent money in a casino exactly once and never again for the former reason, and I'm trying to absorb the latter reason in other areas that may be apparent. orz)

I'm leaning toward "Team Evil minimal-or-post-action and/or talking, in such a way that will raise suspense that ambushing them would be a huge mistake."

Not sure what follows, but I'm also leaning toward the suggestion that Serini's ambush is being set up as a surprise (so not in the next couple of strips at least).

brian 333
2021-06-02, 08:07 PM
I'll risk my record and predict that TE will be visited by Serini who will rat out TOotS, and offer them unobstructed access to the gate in exchange for their promise to use it without destroying it because she understands how hard it is to be a monster these days.

After all, the theme of the comic is that moral relativism is superior to moral absolutism, and every monster would be a good guy if the world would just give a monster a break.

Riftwolf
2021-06-04, 11:40 AM
Next strip prediction for real this time
Roy and Durkon are mid-pontificate when suddenly the Telepathy cuts out. Then V drops to the ground. Then the doorway turns to a dead end.
By the time V figures out its an antimagic effect, Serini's already started attacking.

Metastachydium
2021-06-04, 11:43 AM
Next strip prediction for real this time
Roy and Durkon are mid-pontificate when suddenly the Telepathy cuts out. Then V drops to the ground. Then the doorway turns to a dead end.
By the time V figures out its an antimagic effect, Serini's already started attacking.

I'm not sure shutting off magic is in Serini's best interest. Without access to it, she is toast.

Ionathus
2021-06-04, 11:43 AM
I'll risk my record and predict that TE will be visited by Serini who will rat out TOotS, and offer them unobstructed access to the gate in exchange for their promise to use it without destroying it because she understands how hard it is to be a monster these days.

After all, the theme of the comic is that moral relativism is superior to moral absolutism, and every monster would be a good guy if the world would just give a monster a break.

I don't think she'll visit Team Evil directly, since she's been keeping silent since their arrival. I figure she's still hoping for the slim chance that they continue to spin their wheels without realizing the teleportation trap exists.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-05, 08:10 PM
I don't think she'll visit Team Evil directly, since she's been keeping silent since their arrival. I figure she's still hoping for the slim chance that they continue to spin their wheels without realizing the teleportation trap exists.

Atm, if they don't figure out the teleportation trap exists via their natural action, then that means the Order is more of a threat than Xykon since they're about to jeopardize the trap in hopes of taking down Xykon - which, as we know, Serini doesn't believe they can do.

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-07, 10:18 AM
TR had a nice little bit about "it's not the critic who counts" and that fits this situation nicely.

I'll risk my record and predict that TE will be visited by Serini who will rat out TOotS, and offer them unobstructed access to the gate in exchange for their promise to use it without destroying it because she understands how hard it is to be a monster these days. Not going with that bet (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1229.html).

halfeye
2021-06-07, 10:34 AM
It's looking as if 1234 will be another exposition comic.

Now looking likely that 2346 will be four chatter comics in a row.

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-08, 08:07 AM
Now looking likely that 2346 will be four chatter comics in a row. I'll guess that 1236 will break up the incessant yapping with the entry of another party, and I think Serini is that other party. For some reason, I don't think she'll say "Sneak attack, bitch" when she shoots Haley with a poisoned / treated bolt.

Precure
2021-06-12, 02:04 PM
In strip 1236, someone will die!

Squire Doodad
2021-06-12, 03:58 PM
In strip 1236, someone will die!

Will it be this Xykon? Probably Xykon.

Precure
2021-06-12, 05:20 PM
Will it be this Xykon? Probably Xykon.

Isn't he dead?

elros
2021-06-13, 10:10 AM

It's a good question about how Serini will attack OOTS. I am thinking she will attack V first, because:

Always geek the mage (https://keepcalms.com/p/keep-calm-and-geek-the-mage-first/) first,
Serini should know that Dwarfs have resistance to poison (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html),
Elves have low constitution, so she could get rid of V pretty quickly.

My question would be who she disables next. I think she would use an area of effect, maybe entanglement, to disable as many of the party as possible.
I would love a breakdown of that encounter, the same way wrote them up for the Order's fights against Miko.

Riftwolf
2021-06-13, 11:09 AM
Wait new prediction:
Orange voice starts talking to Elan telepathically, surprised to find someone on the same wavelength, but also pleased to find someone who can be briefly distracted while it subdues the rest of the Order.

Precure
2021-06-15, 08:04 AM
I was right: Elan's character development died.

Fyraltari
2021-06-15, 08:13 AM
Wait new prediction:
Orange voice starts talking to Elan telepathically, surprised to find someone on the same wavelength, but also pleased to find someone who can be briefly distracted while it subdues the rest of the Order.

Pretty dang close!

Dion
2021-06-15, 02:24 PM
I was right: Elan's character development died.

It’s just strip #152 recycled with new artwork!

arimareiji
2021-06-15, 03:31 PM
Wait new prediction:

Frighteningly close, especially given past predictions-for-fun. XD

Riftwolf
2021-06-19, 01:13 PM
Frighteningly close, especially given past predictions-for-fun. XD

I can't help but feel you're congratulating me for hitting the dartboard rather than the wall XD

arimareiji
2021-06-19, 11:07 PM
I can't help but feel you're congratulating me for hitting the dartboard rather than the wall XD

It was absolutely sincere; the "frighteningly close" could have stood alone. Just trying to tip my cap for the fun predictions prior. :smallbiggrin:

Ionathus
2021-06-20, 10:45 PM
1237: Despite being the bait, Elan is not Serini's actual first target when she springs the trap. Given that Elan is the one being lured away, I'm gonna guess that Haley is the intended first strike...because when you're an outnumbered rogue, you don't want the other side thinking like a rogue.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-22, 11:43 PM
1237: Despite being the bait, Elan is not Serini's actual first target when she springs the trap. Given that Elan is the one being lured away, I'm gonna guess that Haley is the intended first strike...because when you're an outnumbered rogue, you don't want the other side thinking like a rogue.

Haley is most likely to figure out Serini's ploy, but V can do the most and is probably the squishiest, especially since Team Evil has no ranged attackers and Serini is one.
Toss up as to whether Serini would go after H or V.

Ionathus
2021-06-23, 08:06 AM
Haley is most likely to figure out Serini's ploy, but V can do the most and is probably the squishiest, especially since Team Evil has no ranged attackers and Serini is one.
Toss up as to whether Serini would go after H or V.

I'm still guessing that Serini will not target V first, specifically because it's the most optimal move...and therefore the most predictable.

brian 333
2021-06-23, 08:13 AM
I am still going with the dwarves as the first targets. Get rid of the healers and the fight doesn't last as long. I am about six strips past that prediction, but...

Metastachydium
2021-06-23, 08:18 AM
I'm still guessing that Serini will not target V first, specifically because it's the most optimal move...and therefore the most predictable.

Serini has quite the ego, but I'm not sure she would risk shooting herself in the foot so hard just to avoid being predictable.

I am still going with the dwarves as the first targets. Get rid of the healers and the fight doesn't last as long. I am about six strips past that prediction, but...

I don't know. Dwarves are a tough lot, especially if she's going to try poison again.

Ionathus
2021-06-23, 09:43 AM
Serini has quite the ego, but I'm not sure she would risk shooting herself in the foot so hard just to avoid being predictable.

I don't think it has to be about ego. Morale is a finite resource, and if your enemies feel outmaneuvered or outsmarted by an unseen adversary, they're more likely to get panicky and make stupid mistakes. Look at how Tarquin-era Linear Guild fell apart at the pyramid ambush, starting with a single clever trick that relied on getting inside Nale's head.

Having a plan and contingencies makes you feel confident. "Take out the spellcaster" is a common tactic, and we've seen The Order recently exploit that in the HPoH fight. If they're expecting their attacker to go for V, then applying all of her pressure elsewhere could be a surprise.

Metastachydium
2021-06-23, 09:57 AM
I don't think it has to be about ego. Morale is a finite resource, and if your enemies feel outmaneuvered or outsmarted by an unseen adversary, they're more likely to get panicky and make stupid mistakes.

I'd think that losing the most powerful member of your party in the first round can be demoralizing enough. Haley's good, but she's not quite at the top of the food chain and unlike the casters, she cannot negate invisibility, flight and the other magic tricks that she needs more than the Order needs an archer (who's extra damage dealing trick has a 0 chance of working against an epic level fogue).

Look at how Tarquin-era Linear Guild fell apart at the pyramid ambush, starting with a single clever trick that relied on getting inside Nale's head.

That was in part just luck. There was no guarantee Nale would trigger exactly the right trap to shut Malack out. Also, Tarquin made short work of half the Order immediately thereafter (their only caster that counts included). He probably could have beaten the rest again (he was consistently shown to be a melee combatant easily superior to Roy and Haley); he just had different tactical priorities.

Having a plan and contingencies makes you feel confident. "Take out the spellcaster" is a common tactic, and we've seen The Order recently exploit that in the HPoH fight. If they're expecting their attacker to go for V, then applying all of her pressure elsewhere could be a surprise.

A surpirse, yes, but a costly surprise if the more powerful members of the team, including those that can negate her buffs are left standing at the end.

Ionathus
2021-06-23, 10:27 AM
That's assuming Serini would succeed trying to take V down, though. If the Order knows that V is the most likely target, then V is also more likely to have additional buffs and defenses.

Picking an unorthodox target can give you a chance to strike where your opponent doesn't have their guard up as strongly.

Metastachydium
2021-06-23, 10:34 AM
That's assuming Serini would succeed trying to take V down, though. If the Order knows that V is the most likely target, then V is also more likely to have additional buffs and defenses.

Picking an unorthodox target can give you a chance to strike where your opponent doesn't have their guard up as strongly.

[Shrugs.] Currently everyone's buffed up for a fight with Xykon, so…
As for unorthodox targets, wasting the element of surprise on an unorthodox target who could do precious little against you is just that: wasting the element of surprise.

Ionathus
2021-06-23, 11:34 AM
[Shrugs.] Currently everyone's buffed up for a fight with Xykon, so…
As for unorthodox targets, wasting the element of surprise on an unorthodox target who could do precious little against you is just that: wasting the element of surprise.

People put too much faith in the meta. As OotS has demonstrated numerous times, raw power is not the end-all-be-all, and Haley has shown her value to the team in "thinking like a rogue" more than once. If I was an Epic-level rogue trying to take down a capable party using guerrilla tactics, the last thing I would want is somebody like me, who can easily guess my next move.

Rich has said clearly that he cares more about telling a good story than he does about faithfully recreating actual, optimal 3.5e combat. Even if you think Haley could do "precious little" against Serini, there are valid story and character reasons for her to be a potential target here.

Metastachydium
2021-06-23, 11:55 AM
People put too much faith in the meta.

There's no such thing as too much faith in the Meta!

As OotS has demonstrated numerous times, raw power is not the end-all-be-all, and Haley has shown her value to the team in "thinking like a rogue" more than once. If I was an Epic-level rogue trying to take down a capable party using guerrilla tactics, the last thing I would want is somebody like me, who can easily guess my next move.

Ambush tactics and magic are not specific to rogues (the latter is not their specialty, and the former is something the value of which one can easily learn in Fighter College) and the greatest advantages Serini has are 1) home ground, 2) the element of surprise and 3) obscene amounts of magic rather than "thinking like a rogue". Also, the Order doesn't know Serini is alive, let alone that she's attacking them. The Tomb is officially choke full of powerful monsters, and SLAs are a commonplace tool on those (heck, separating the weak from the herd is more of a predatory tactic than a roguish one).

Rich has said clearly that he cares more about telling a good story than he does about faithfully recreating actual, optimal 3.5e combat. Even if you think Haley could do "precious little" against Serini, there are valid story and character reasons for her to be a potential target here.

And to facilitate that, he often ends up taking out V in the worst possible moments lest they solve the encounter on their own. Further, there are valid reasons for taking out pretty much every member of the Order other than Belkar first (elven wizards are squishy but powerful; clerics are the worst (and of crucial importance in a fight where people get hurt); beheading a group by removing their leader and chief tactician is always a wise move if you can pull it through), so I see nothing special about Haley in that regard.

(And a last little parenthetical remark: if one is a rogue and is afraid of getting predictable, one should stop thinking like a rogue.)

arimareiji
2021-06-23, 06:30 PM
Ambush tactics and magic are not specific to rogues (the latter is not their specialty, and the former is something the value of which one can easily learn in Fighter College) and the greatest advantages Serini has are 1) home ground, 2) the element of surprise and 3) obscene amounts of magic rather than "thinking like a rogue". Also, the Order doesn't know Serini is alive, let alone that she's attacking them. The Tomb is officially choke full of powerful monsters, and SLAs are a commonplace tool on those (heck, separating the weak from the herd is more of a predatory tactic than a roguish one).

And to facilitate that, he often ends up taking out V in the worst possible moments lest they solve the encounter on their own. Further, there are valid reasons for taking out pretty much every member of the Order other than Belkar first (elven wizards are squishy but powerful; clerics are the worst (and of crucial importance in a fight where people get hurt); beheading a group by removing their leader and chief tactician is always a wise move if you can pull it through), so I see nothing special about Haley in that regard.

(And a last little parenthetical remark: if one is a rogue and is afraid of getting predictable, one should stop thinking like a rogue.)

I practically tripped across this one, despite having thought for a while that Serini needs to take out Haley first: If Serini's been watching, she has less motivation to do so. Her epic "thinking like a rogue" left Haley flat-footed.

Haley erroneously assumes there's no shell game in play back in panels 3/4 of 1198 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1198.html). Which is understandable, since she's only thinking about the rest of the chasm being "the ball". But despite learning about the portals -- and Belkar pointing out they may be in "the real dungeon, then? The one with the Gate thing?" (panel 1) (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1224.html) -- she doesn't revisit her assumptions, and she's the first one to say they should use the portals to ambush Xykon (panel 6)... giving away the location of the ball, unless they achieve TPK (on Team Evil, that is).

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-24, 08:51 AM
Looks like I did not predict the Sea of Holes redux in 1137.

I predict that, in 1138, Haley gets held/attacked/trapped/zapped by Serini.

Ionathus
2021-06-24, 09:06 AM
Haley wait, stop, just because I predicted you'd be top of Serini's hit list doesn't mean you have to willingly deliver yourself to her!

Anyway 1238: Haley (with Elan) gets separated from the group.

Fyraltari
2021-06-24, 09:19 AM
1238: Roy, Durkon, V, Belkar and Minrah are attacked.

Metastachydium
2021-06-28, 08:03 AM
1239: Elan casts Neutralize Poison (in your face, Serini!).

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-28, 08:42 AM
Looks like I did not predict the Sea of Holes redux in 1137.

I predict that, in 1138, Haley gets held/attacked/trapped/zapped by Serini. Nope, it was Roy. Once again, prediction didn't come true.

Prediction for 1239: Haley shoots toward the voice.

Precure
2021-06-28, 09:36 AM
1239: Haley is doomed because of some Elan related reason.

Schroeswald
2021-06-28, 10:25 AM
1239 (massive long shot but hey, it’s fun): Serini takes out the rest of the order except for Belkar who escapes and runs out, right into Team Evil or the MiTD.

Ionathus
2021-06-28, 11:42 AM
Welp, I should've had the courage of my convictions and stuck with my prediction from awhile back, that Serini would spend her first attack trying to take out Roy. I still think this will be an opportunity to show how much they've grown, that even without their leader the order is still capable of holding together! That'd be a nice payoff given DStP and Roy's "getting drunk and botching the rousing speech" at the end of last book.

1238: The Order fights back, and gives Sunny a black eye (har har). They're having trouble with the antimagic, and Belkar remembers that Bloodfeast hasn't always been a ferocious little lizard...

Riftwolf
2021-06-28, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure shutting off magic is in Serini's best interest. Without access to it, she is toast.

Wow this comment dated badly huh

Metastachydium
2021-06-28, 02:19 PM
Wow this comment dated badly huh

Now I hate you!

Riftwolf
2021-06-28, 02:23 PM
Now I hate you!

Haha OK I'll tone down the insufferability. It's just so rare that I guess something!

Ionathus
2021-06-28, 02:33 PM
I mean, it's still not wrong. Not to split hairs, but Serini would be in a much worse position if she was also in the antimagic field right now. Her invisibility and probably a couple of buffs are doing a lot of work for her here. "Shutting down their magic and not mine" is kinda cheating and also kinda goes against the spirit of the original prediction.

brian 333
2021-06-29, 08:04 AM
And my 100% rating remains intact!

Riftwolf
2021-06-29, 03:02 PM
I mean, it's still not wrong. Not to split hairs, but Serini would be in a much worse position if she was also in the antimagic field right now. Her invisibility and probably a couple of buffs are doing a lot of work for her here. "Shutting down their magic and not mine" is kinda cheating and also kinda goes against the spirit of the original prediction.

In the original prediction, I never said anything about Serini's magic. Only the Orders. I wasn't sure of the rules of AMF, but figured Serini had a way to shut down magic in an area where she isn't.
Which she did. Admittedly I'd forgotten about the Beholders AMF eye, and that beholder prediction was kind of a joke. If I'd been slightly smarter, I could've unified both predictions into a single hypothesis.
And *then* I'd have been insufferable XD

Ionathus
2021-06-30, 09:03 AM
Got it, thanks for clarifying!

arimareiji
2021-07-02, 04:23 PM
In the original prediction, I never said anything about Serini's magic. Only the Orders. I wasn't sure of the rules of AMF, but figured Serini had a way to shut down magic in an area where she isn't.
Which she did. Admittedly I'd forgotten about the Beholders AMF eye, and that beholder prediction was kind of a joke. If I'd been slightly smarter, I could've unified both predictions into a single hypothesis.
And *then* I'd have been insufferable XD

"Then"? (^_~)
(/absolutely kidding)

CountDVB
2021-07-02, 06:48 PM
I predict V will convince Belkar to take out Bloodfeasf, since the anti-magic vision I think would cancel Baleful Polymorph and distract Sunny enough for Elan to cure Roy of the poison.

Also, Belkar somehow managing to get Sunny to change sides because Belkar May be... Belkar, But Belkar is still a Ranger

Peelee
2021-07-02, 11:00 PM
I predict V will convince Belkar to take out Bloodfeasf, since the anti-magic vision I think would cancel Baleful Polymorph and distract Sunny enough for Elan to cure Roy of the poison.
And the magic bag still works in the anti-magic field?

Also, Belkar somehow managing to get Sunny to change sides because Belkar May be... Belkar, But Belkar is still a Ranger
What does being a Ranger have to do with the beholder?

Riftwolf
2021-07-03, 03:28 AM
I was going to answer the Belkar Ranger question with 'he took an up-until-now-unmentioned ACF to let him make Wild Empathy checks against-" then hit a brick wall. What are Beholders? Aberrations? Magical Beasts? Native Outsiders?

hamishspence
2021-07-03, 03:30 AM
I was going to answer the Belkar Ranger question with 'he took an up-until-now-unmentioned ACF to let him make Wild Empathy checks against-" then hit a brick wall. What are Beholders?

Aberrations.

Riftwolf
2021-07-03, 07:30 AM
Aberrations.

Pretty sure Aberration Wild Empathy is available somewhere (Dungeon Delver maybe?), though I think there's an intelligence cap to stop rangers schmoozing the Mind Flayers.
Mind Flayer: now to insert a tadpole into his brain!
Ranger: I totally get how that feels bro
Mind Flayer: Y-you do? *single illithid tear* I thought no one would understand meeeee
Ranger: dude it's OK just let it all out
However in lieu of an ACF, presumably Belkar would have similar success with Sunny by just being nice to him. Wild Empathy gets kinda odd when it deals with intelligent creatures.

halfeye
2021-07-03, 07:52 AM
Belkar somehow managing to get Sunny to change sides because Belkar May be... Belkar, But Belkar is still a Ranger

Is Serini definitely not a ranger? Because if she is, she ought to outrank Belkar.

Metastachydium
2021-07-03, 07:55 AM
Is Serini definitely not a ranger? Because if she is, she ought to outrank Belkar.

If her apparent number of ranks in UMD is anything to go by, I'd say she's definitely not a ranger, or, at any rate, does not have a number of ranger levels even remotely comparable to Belkar's (unless of course she's suddenly level 40 or something too, but that seems… unlikely).

halfeye
2021-07-03, 09:21 AM
If her apparent number of ranks in UMD is anything to go by, I'd say she's definitely not a ranger, or, at any rate, does not have a number of ranger levels even remotely comparable to Belkar's (unless of course she's suddenly level 40 or something too, but that seems… unlikely).

How many ranger levels does Belkar have? I remember him being not good at tracking.

Metastachydium
2021-07-03, 09:26 AM
How many ranger levels does Belkar have? I remember him being not good at tracking.

According to the geekery thread, 14(+?). At any rate, unlike Wild Empathy tracking is skill-based and not level-based.

Peelee
2021-07-03, 10:52 AM
Anyone can make a wild empathy check against a beholder. It's called a charisma check (or any of the charisma based skill checks).

Metastachydium
2021-07-03, 11:56 AM
Anyone can make a wild empathy check against a beholder. It's called a charisma check (or any of the charisma based skill checks).

It's not a wild empathy check if you don't get to add your level.

arimareiji
2021-07-03, 12:09 PM
Pretty sure Aberration Wild Empathy is available somewhere (Dungeon Delver maybe?), though I think there's an intelligence cap to stop rangers schmoozing the Mind Flayers.
Mind Flayer: now to insert a tadpole into his brain!
Ranger: I totally get how that feels bro
Mind Flayer: Y-you do? *single illithid tear* I thought no one would understand meeeee
Ranger: dude it's OK just let it all out
However in lieu of an ACF, presumably Belkar would have similar success with Sunny by just being nice to him. Wild Empathy gets kinda odd when it deals with intelligent creatures.

I wish I doubted this more. (^_^)°

Dion
2021-07-03, 12:12 PM
And my 100% rating remains intact!

I’m giving myself a 50% success rate, since I predicted a pineapple and beholders look like pineapples.

Peelee
2021-07-03, 01:57 PM
It's not a wild empathy check if you don't get to add your level.

You can add your level but the beholder gets an equal raise to its DC.:smalltongue:

MartianInvader
2021-07-04, 09:11 PM
I'll toss a boring prediction on the pile: The hammer of thunderbolts smacks Sunny in the eye.

brian 333
2021-07-06, 08:09 AM
I've always wondered what happens when an anti-magic field overlaps another anti-magic field. But now, more specifically, what happens to a beholder in an antimagic field?

It's too bad that Belkar doesn't carry a mirror as a symbol of halfling verility. Does Vaarsuvius know Gaze Reflection?

That's my prediction: someone uses a mirror on the beholder.

"Behold yourself!"
"Aw, man, don't cry. There's no crying in adventuring. I'm sorry..."

Fyraltari
2021-07-06, 09:17 AM
I've always wondered what happens when an anti-magic field overlaps another anti-magic field.

My guess is "not magic".

Riftwolf
2021-07-06, 09:28 AM
I've always wondered what happens when an anti-magic field overlaps another anti-magic field. But now, more specifically, what happens to a beholder in an antimagic field?

Aww geez, we're gonna have to have a talk.
Brian, when a daddy beholder and a mummy beholder behold each other very much...

Next strip prediction;
*Elan throws rose at Sunnys eye*
*Rose bounces off ineffectually*
Elan: awww man was any part of that cartoon true?

Fyraltari
2021-07-06, 09:40 AM
Next strip prediction;
What?67890

Metastachydium
2021-07-06, 09:42 AM
But now, more specifically, what happens to a beholder in an antimagic field?

Well, the eye rays are Su and I bet so is the flight…

It's too bad that Belkar doesn't carry a mirror as a symbol of halfling verility. Does Vaarsuvius know Gaze Reflection?

That's my prediction: someone uses a mirror on the beholder.

And that's where it gets tricky. Antimagic cone is Su, so IF an antimagic cone can be simply reflected (which I doubt), it would shut itself down immediately, whereupon the cone would automatically activate and shut itself down again which would reactivate it and so on and so forth.

Peelee
2021-07-06, 09:45 AM
Aww geez, we're gonna have to have a talk.
Brian, when a daddy beholder and a mummy beholder behold each other very much...

Next strip prediction;

How could Elan see any of it to know where to throw or to know it didn't work?

Riftwolf
2021-07-06, 09:45 AM
What?

I don't remember much about the D&D cartoon from the 80s, but I'm pretty sure that's how they beat the beholder. (because 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and even as a kid I called bs)

Peelee
2021-07-06, 10:16 AM
I don't remember much about the D&D cartoon from the 80s, but I'm pretty sure that's how they beat the beholder. (because 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and even as a kid I called bs)

They had a low-level party up against tiamat int he first episode, and then a near-epix sorcerer lixb (IIRC he was level 18?the DVD box set I got had em all stated out). I buy them doing shenanigans like a rose, even if I don't remember that. Dungeon Master would have totally allowed it.

halfeye
2021-08-14, 04:14 PM
It's beginning to look as if 1242 will be a talky strip.

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-15, 09:15 PM
It's beginning to look as if 1242 will be a talky strip. Back to the old problem of :thog: talky man talkie too much

pearl jam
2021-08-16, 06:34 AM
He'll have to wake up first, unless he's delivering unconscious soliloquies. :smallbiggrin:

brian 333
2021-08-16, 09:10 AM
Not just a talkie, but a Dream Sequence talkie!

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-16, 11:18 AM
Not just a talkie, but a Dream Sequence talkie! A Eugene dream sequence talky, even. :smallyuk:

brian 333
2021-08-16, 12:56 PM
Order of the Stick will first have to give Serini 'what for and how' before any meaningful talkie strip.

Durkon resisting the petrification and waking Minrah might be a good place to start.

After 1242:
Does this count as half-right? After losing all my quatloos on previous guesses, I'm counting on splitting the pot to keep me in the game.

halfeye
2021-09-02, 06:18 AM
Seems to be heading toward 1243 being another talky comic.

Squire Doodad
2021-09-02, 06:40 PM
I predict 1243 will be a multi-page comic.

Blue Dragon
2021-09-04, 09:49 AM
I predict 1243 will be a multi-page comic.

I hope so.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-07, 08:39 AM
Now that Haley has out-rogued Serini for a strip, I predict that Elan will engage Sunny with friendly discourse while Haley and Serini get into a bit of wrestling and grappling, since Haley can't afford to have this invisible rogue get away from her now that Haley has turned the tables.
Hmmm, maybe Minrah grapples Serini to hold her still, maybe she tries to get V back into action. (I don't know much about 3.5e grappling rules, other than that they are complex)

Belkar, who would previously drool over a 'chick fight!' will, under calm emotions, be unmoved by the wrestling match.
Durkon will just stand there.
Roy will remain poisoned.
V will do something if Minrah gets to remove a condition.

I am thinking 5e here so I'll ask: does Lesser Restoration remove the poisoned condition in 3.5e, or does that not work mechanically? (As in, neutralize poison or nothing)

I hope so.
It wasn't, but it was chock full of value and action. :smallbiggrin:

Metastachydium
2021-09-07, 09:26 AM
I am thinking 5e here so I'll ask: does Lesser Restoration remove the poisoned condition in 3.5e, or does that not work mechanically? (As in, neutralize poison or nothing)

There's no such thing as "the poisoned condition" in 3.5e. Most poisons do ability damage, which Lesser Restoration helps with.

halfeye
2021-09-07, 10:11 AM
Seems to be heading toward 1243 being another talky comic.

Well, it wasn't what I was meaning by that (no or little action), though I suppose they did talk.

WindStruck
2021-09-07, 10:40 AM
I think with Serini being knocked to the ground, that will prompt Sunny to look directly at his "mom" as she falls *gasp*!

And thus, the greater invisibility and all her other buffs will be nullified, making her very vulnerable.

Fyraltari
2021-09-07, 01:30 PM
Elan gets V up.
V gets Serini to be visible.

brian 333
2021-09-08, 02:17 AM
Elan gets V up.

Invisibility purge is a cleric spell. A very low level one, at that.

Fyraltari
2021-09-16, 08:19 AM
Elan gets V up.

Points for me!

1245: They heal the Durkon and Roy and try to talk down Serini from attacking them. Serini tries to get Sunny to attack but he doesn't want to while Haley holds his mom against the ground.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-16, 12:41 PM
In 1245, Sunny will open his central eye but he won't Anti Magic Ray out of it since "We'll stop fighting and start talking" stage will begin since someone, like Elan, will convince Sunny that "We don't want to hurt Serini, and we don't want Serini to hurt us"

Betting heavily on Elan saying something to Sunny to help de-escalate this.

Ionathus
2021-09-16, 12:58 PM
I think the fighting is effectively done, and the talking is to commence!

But...perhaps Serini will be talking so she can stall for time? I dunno, I don't see her giving up this easily...

brian 333
2021-09-16, 02:20 PM
Invisibility purge is a cleric spell. A very low level one, at that.

I was wrong, Fyraltari was right.

brian 333
2021-09-25, 10:26 PM
1245 will be a talky strip, maybe with crayons.

1246 will conclude the talky and end with TE standing in the open doorway, (Mimi will have slunk away.)

Xykon will golf-clap and then Meteor Swarm everyone.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-28, 04:45 PM
1246 will conclude the talky and end with TE standing in the open doorway, (Mimi will have slunk away.)
Xykon will golf-clap and then Meteor Swarm everyone.Hilarity ensues. :smallsmile:

Ionathus
2021-10-05, 12:20 PM
I dunno, I don't see her giving up this easily...

*Narrator*: She did not.

Real talk, though, I think Serini's going to either be recaptured in short order, or best-case (for her) falling back to stage another ambush later down the dungeon. She failed to neutralize them in her first assault, and in Rogue terms that means Time To Go.

I give it a 40/60 split between the two options (recapture or escape) right now. V doesn't seem too concerned.

brian 333
2021-10-05, 09:50 PM
Elan: We have six books about us, and they aren't written by G.R.R.M. or M. Night Shamalammadingdang, so it's fairly obvious that we will win in the end, whether we do it with your help or by going through you.

How many books are you in? You aren't a main character any more. The best role you can hope for is 'wise mentor'. Unless we have to defeat you and find the clues we need in your stuff. Then you can be 'misguided antagonist', I suppose, but you'll miss out on the fun that way.

So, are you the cool Obi Wan, or the lame Ben Skywalker?

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-06, 11:32 AM
Hmm, Minrah, Durkon and Roy are all off screen at the moment.
Minrah: up and functioning.
Durkon: stoic / stoned
Roy: enjoying the oblivion of sleepy-time from poison

1246: we get to see what's going on with them, and, Haley sprints after Serini and tackles her. (See the 'grrrrr' facial expression on Haley as she gives chase after the piercer chomps on her backside in 1245).
Elan: no idea, maybe talks to Sunny
V: keeps talking; V stands for Verbose on many occasions
Belkar: Recovers from potpourri poisoning

WindStruck
2021-10-06, 06:06 PM
"That wasn't potpourri."

Dion
2021-10-07, 02:26 PM
The flumphs will make an appearance as Serini’s minions.

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 02:39 PM

(And I've just realized what prediction should I have made after no. 1243.)

Ionathus
2021-10-07, 05:13 PM

Oh my god.

The Flumphs are good-aligned. We've seen them on every continent, at the same time the heroes are there. They're following the heroes around. They're constantly ignored, despite their presence at places and times of high importance.

They would be absolutely perfect spies for Serini.

I'm honestly like 80% of the way towards believing this theory.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-07, 07:11 PM
Oh my god.

The Flumphs are good-aligned. We've seen them on every continent, at the same time the heroes are there. They're following the heroes around. They're constantly ignored, despite their presence at places and times of high importance.

They would be absolutely perfect spies for Serini.

I'm honestly like 80% of the way towards believing this theory. Works for me, although they were imprisoned in Dorukan's dungeon as 'monsters from previous editions that didn't make it into 3e/3.5e,' and Serini allegedly was not going to visit Dorukan's dungeon.

On the other hand, the Scribblers were at their peak 60+ years ago, which makes them roughly first edition (Haley's dad having been a first edition thief and he's not as old as they are) that makes it possible that Serini may have befriended them previous to an edition change, and they've been long time friends of hers. But they've had less than two years since they were released when the shattering of the amulet freed them.

I'd like it to work out, though, that the flumphs and Serini are good friends. That would be neat. :smallsmile:

Emanick
2021-10-07, 07:26 PM
Works for me, although they were imprisoned in Dorukan's dungeon as 'monsters from previous editions that didn't make it into 3e/3.5e,' and Serini allegedly was not going to visit Dorukan's dungeon.

On the other hand, the Scribblers were at their peak 60+ years ago, which makes them roughly first edition (Haley's dad having been a first edition thief and he's not as old as they are) that makes it possible that Serini may have befriended them previous to an edition change, and they've been long time friends of hers. But they've had less than two years since they were released when the shattering of the amulet freed them.

I'd like it to work out, though, that the flumphs and Serini are good friends. That would be neat. :smallsmile:

I was going to write "hey, if the flumphs made it out, the piercer could," but since the whole deal with piercers is that they're barely able to move (well, 5 feet of movement, anyway), on second thoughts I'm not so sure.

Maybe Franklin literally couldn't make it to Dorukan's dungeon because he wasn't mobile enough? It's got to be tough to clamber out of a deep cave and across much of the planet when you're a piercer.

Just in terms of sheer practicality, I find it easy to believe that not every pre-3rd edition monster could make it to Dorukan's amulet, even if they were attracted by it. It's a big planet, and... well, geography has been known to impede movement.

Squire Doodad
2021-10-08, 02:22 PM
Just in terms of sheer practicality, I find it easy to believe that not every pre-3rd edition monster could make it to Dorukan's amulet, even if they were attracted by it. It's a big planet, and... well, geography has been known to impede movement.

Being a nearly immobile creature in a cave in the north pole is great at stopping one from reaching a pit as it is stopping them from escaping it.

JSSheridan
2021-10-08, 04:54 PM
I think Redcloak and TE are going to be frustrated that they didn't find the Order

RC then casts some divination that gives him a hint to the doors' gimmick

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-14, 11:07 AM
I think Redcloak and TE are going to be frustrated that they didn't find the Order

RC then casts some divination that gives him a hint to the doors' gimmick FWIW, in 1247, I don't think we'll get a flash back to TE just yet.

Given the events of 1246, my guess is that V, Haley, and Belkar end up off screen, and we see on screen Minrah, Durkon(Statue?), Roy(still out?), Elan, and Sunny. (And maybe Franklin slowly crawling across the floor toward a wall). We also see Bloodfeast Extreminator because we last saw Bloodfeast holding onto Mr Scruffy's tail (Bloodfeast is now outside of the bag) and Sunny just turned his AMF eye back into the main, central area of the room.

A two quataloo bet on the Return of Bloodfeast option. (Here's hoping!)

Dion
2021-10-14, 11:16 AM
After jumping through the hole, Serini lands on a flumph!

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-14, 12:21 PM
"I will not fall for your clever word games, trickster!"
~Last panel of strip 1247~
Given where Sunny's central eye is now facing, I think that he just did. :smalleek:

RatElemental
2021-10-14, 12:40 PM
I'm gonna throw in a prediction that Elan heals Sunny (or offers to but can't because the AMF) next strip.

brian 333
2021-10-20, 07:40 AM
My prediction accuracy remains at 100%! Maybe one day I'll get one right.

It is fairly obvious that Serini is leading them into a trap or ambush, which we will see in 1247. The question is, when will Durkon be freed, and why does he keep getting stoned?

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-20, 11:28 AM
The question is, when will Durkon be freed, and why does he keep getting stoned? Because everybody must get stoned. :smallcool:
(Reference is a song lyric by Bob Dylan)

brian 333
2021-10-20, 08:38 PM
Because everybody must get stoned. :smallcool:

Pssst! Your age is showing!

Riftwolf
2021-10-21, 08:35 AM
Because everybody must get stoned. :smallcool:

Isn't it 'everyone wants to get stoned'? I've been mishearing that song for years...

Next strip prediction is V, Haley and Belkar giving chase.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-21, 09:21 AM
Isn't it 'everyone wants to get stoned'? I've been mishearing that song for years. You have indeed been mishearing it for years
Well, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone you just like they said they would
They'll stone you when you're trying to go home
And they'll stone you when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned

@brian333: yep, I keep trying to turn blond on blond but all I get to is silver on gray.

Peelee
2021-10-21, 09:43 AM
You have indeed been mishearing it for years
Well, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone you just like they said they would
They'll stone you when you're trying to go home
And they'll stone you when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned

@brian333: yep, I keep trying to turn blond on blond but all I get to is silver on gray.

Psh. Next you'll be trying to convince me that Jimi Hendrix didn't actually want to kiss this guy.

brian 333
2021-10-21, 03:44 PM
Psh. Next you'll be trying to convince me that Jimi Hendrix didn't actually want to kiss this guy.

Literally fell out of my chair laughing when Robin did that on SNL.

Whatever happened to funny? We used to have that in the old days.

Fyraltari
2021-10-21, 03:50 PM
Literally fell out of my chair laughing when Robin did that on SNL.

Whatever happened to funny? We used to have that in the old days.

Aristotle? Is that you?

brian 333
2021-10-21, 06:26 PM
Aristotle? Is that you?

No, but I did catch his act when he was working open mike nights in Athens. Too many Persian jokes for my taste.

Back to predictions: Serini is leading them to the monster that she was waiting for Xykon to stumble into.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-21, 07:34 PM
No, but I did catch his act when he was working open mike nights in Athens. Too many Persian jokes for my taste.

Back to predictions: Serini is leading them to the monster that she was waiting for Xykon to stumble into. I don't think that she wants them dead. I think that she wants them "somewhere else" based on what she's done so far.

RatElemental
2021-10-21, 10:11 PM
I don't think that she wants them dead. I think that she wants them "somewhere else" based on what she's done so far.

She certainly doesn't seem to mind them being dead. The afterlife is technically about as far away from her gate as they can get, too.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-21, 10:41 PM
She certainly doesn't seem to mind them being dead. The afterlife is technically about as far away from her gate as they can get, too. If she wanted them dead she'd be using different tools than she's using now.

brian 333
2021-10-21, 10:55 PM
'Except for #8, right?'

When plan A failed she became less reluctant to use lethal force.

I don't think killing is her goal, but it may be necessary if she is going to win this one.

Psyren
2021-10-22, 01:53 AM
She certainly doesn't seem to mind them being dead. The afterlife is technically about as far away from her gate as they can get, too.

I don't think she wants them dead. Slitting the paladins' throats, burning the bodies and scattering the ashes would be a lot less complicated than amnesia juice.

Fyraltari
2021-10-22, 02:41 AM
I don't think she wants them dead. Slitting the paladins' throats, burning the bodies and scattering the ashes would be a lot less complicated than amnesia juice.

She doesn't want to kill them. But it seems to be an acceptable result if she can't non-lethally subdue them.

RatElemental
2021-10-22, 04:56 AM
She doesn't want to kill them. But it seems to be an acceptable result if she can't non-lethally subdue them.

This. Hence my wording it as her not minding them being dead, rather than her wanting them dead.

Dion
2021-10-22, 05:41 AM
'Except for #8, right?'

Disintegrate is no different than turning someone to stone and smashing them.

Glue fixes it.

Probably.

Psyren
2021-10-22, 09:38 AM

For her, maybe (hard maybe), but it doesn't seem to be for Sunny.

a_flemish_guy
2021-10-23, 10:33 PM
okay let's see

serini, haley, vaarsuvius and belkar have gone down the hole, V has been hit by one of sunny's beams and we don't know the aftermath, it's been theorised that this could've been the sleep beam which doesn't have any effect on V but seeing as how that's the literary equivalent of nothing happening I rather doubt that (would any DM worth it salt even call that out in game except as a way to short-term prank the party? the elf is hit by a beam from the beholder [collective gasp], it's the sleep beam!
considering the cliff-hanging nature I rather doubt we're going to see them in the coming strips unless interjected with the others

on this side of the hole we have sunny, elan and minrah as free-moving actors, we also have mimi the trapper and franklin the piercer who'm I'm going to count out for now as gimmicks that've done their job, and then there's durkon who turned to stone and roy whose been poisoned

the number 1 problem is durkon, flesh to stone's a really strong spell and AFAIK permanent unless dispelled with a stone to flesh spell or the freedom spell/ability? (I knew of the first from mechanics and the 2nd's been demonstrated before), now luckily elan knows the freedom-spell because he's used it on belkar to get him out of the epic illusion, my first thought that he'd trick sunny in using his anti-magic eye to dispell the effect, but I'm not sure this'll work

number 2 is roy, luckily as a bard elan's versatile in that he has limited spells per day but it doesn't matter which spells those are, neutralise poison has been hanging over the fireplace for a couple of years now, time for it to get shot, yes, elan healed V with it in this fight but I think that's a distraction

number 3 is minrah, she's the blank, the big unknown, the pebble turning into the avalanche because I have no idea what she's capable off (a bit exagerated, we know from her portrayal that she means well but if she were to throw a wrench in the gears I wouldn't be surprised but I'd also be happy if she didn't)

number 4 is elan and sunny, now sunny's been described as "an unexpected ally", he's also shown to be good-natured but easy-going and not rather smart, in a way he's elan like he was in the beginning, he's also shown a weakness to elan's bardic performance

so what'll think will happen: elan will talk to sunny, about who they are, about their adventures, about who he is, at some point he'll make a reference to him freeing belkar with the freedom spell, afterwards he'll remark on therkla and how that's inspired him to learn neutralise poison and so forth
eventually sunny will ask why he's telling all this and then minrah will remark "to distract you from the fact that you're surrounded" with roy and durkon looking good but really not happy
this was of course not elan's purpose and he spends the next few turns both talking down sunny as his allies

Lexible
2021-11-01, 10:52 AM
Trapper. The next strip (or maybe the one after that) will feature a trapper.

Metastachydium
2021-11-01, 11:36 AM

Make that a balhannoth. Or a tunnel terror! This place is supposed to contain tough stuff!

Lexible
2021-11-01, 12:09 PM
Make that a balhannoth. Or a tunnel terror! This place is supposed to contain tough stuff!

Piercer, lurker above, … the next monster in this sequence is trapper (mayyybe roper... and even less mayyyybe mimic). This is 1st ed callback stuff here.

Metastachydium
2021-11-01, 12:11 PM
Piercer, lurker above, … the next monster in this sequence is trapper (mayyybe roper... and even less mayyyybe mimic). This is 1st ed callback stuff here.

Mimi's likely a mimic, so you might be right there. (A balhannoth would still be cool though.)

Ionathus
2021-11-01, 12:32 PM

Agreed. She took numerous precautions to spring a nonlethal trap when a lethal one would've been much simpler. But as the battle goes on longer and her chances of stopping them get slimmer, well, they have glue at home.

Nice one :smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-01, 02:41 PM
Mimi's likely a mimic, so you might be right there. (A balhannoth would still be cool though.) Or a catoblepas? :smalleek:

Metastachydium
2021-11-01, 02:50 PM
Or a catoblepas? :smalleek:

The catoblepas has a special place in my heart. I know of its original from Flaubert. But isn't that one more of a swamp thing?

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-01, 02:53 PM
The catoblepas has a special place in my heart. I know of its original from Flaubert. But isn't that one more of a swamp thing? Originally, yes, but as long as she's got an underground body of water, probably doable.

Metastachydium
2021-11-01, 03:07 PM
Originally, yes, but as long as she's got an underground body of water, probably doable.

Works for me! (I'm very curious how one of these would look like in stickstyle too.)

brian 333
2021-11-02, 08:02 AM

Here. Take my last quatloos. Can I hate you before I even know you?

P.S. Peelee, can I borrow some more quatloos? I promise to pay them back when I hit the jackpot.

P.P.S. If there is a cloaker in 1248 I will cry because I'm all out of fake internet currency with which to bet.

Peelee
2021-11-02, 08:14 AM
P.S. Peelee, can I borrow some more quatloos? I promise to pay them back when I hit the jackpot.

Dont tell anyone, but there's 20 Canadian dollars' worth of gold bullion buried in a nondescript location that was intended for Truemane. If you get to it first, you can borrow it and convert to quatloos.

brian 333
2021-11-02, 03:32 PM
Dont tell anyone, but there's 20 Canadian dollars' worth of gold bullion buried in a nondescript location that was intended for Truemane. If you get to it first, you can borrow it and convert to quatloos.

How do you find $20 Canadian in gold without a magnifying g...

Ooooh!

In that case, can I just buy Quatloos with U.S. currency? How steep is the exchange rate?

But the lurker was a good call. It will make the trapper too obvious, though, which is why I'm betting on cloaker.

Peelee
2021-11-02, 04:48 PM
In that case, can I just buy Quatloos with U.S. currency?
Yes.

How steep is the exchange rate?
Yes.

You can send all your money to:

[email protected]

I will then tell you the amount of quatloos you have. It's a perfect system.

Rogan
2021-11-04, 05:23 PM
You can send all your money to:

[email protected]

I will then tell you the amount of quatloos you have. It's a perfect system.

Hey, Peelee?
Can I ask you semi official as a mod? The post quoted above might be illegal advertising or even a scam. I probably should report it right away, but something holds me back...
:smallwink:

Anyway, I predict the following:
In the next strips, Serini will incapacitate and capture her pursuers. But when she returns with her captives, Sunny will be convinced by Elan that the Order are not their enemies.

PontificatusRex
2021-11-04, 11:09 PM
So without reading the entire thread, has there been a prediction that the entire team will get picked off/ delayed one by one until only one character is left to confront Serini? We've seen it whittled down to three and now V is trapped and immobile, I can see that despite Haley's attempts to avoid having them go off individually they still might get neutralized one at a time.

30 Qualtoos says the last one standing to talk to Serini is Belkar, and that's backed by BitGP.

Squire Doodad
2021-11-11, 07:48 PM
So without reading the entire thread, has there been a prediction that the entire team will get picked off/ delayed one by one until only one character is left to confront Serini? We've seen it whittled down to three and now V is trapped and immobile, I can see that despite Haley's attempts to avoid having them go off individually they still might get neutralized one at a time.

30 Qualtoos says the last one standing to talk to Serini is Belkar, and that's backed by BitGP.

If you think about it, since Durkon has apparently acquired +2 CHA from story events (what's the DC on tricking a vampire who is yourself?), he and Elan talking to Sunny could lead to *gasp* defection!

Metastachydium
2021-11-12, 03:19 AM
If you think about it, since Durkon has apparently acquired +2 CHA from story events (what's the DC on tricking a vampire who is yourself?), he and Elan talking to Sunny could lead to *gasp* defection!

"Sorry, Mom, from now on, I'm with these funny strangers that I've never met before, working against you!" is not what I expect will happen.

brian 333
2021-11-12, 08:19 AM
"Sorry, Mom, from now on, I'm with these funny strangers that I've never met before, working against you!" is not what I expect will happen.

This is literally the story of every teenager ever. Fortunately, they have babies and come around, most of the time.

Elan pursuading Sunny that they are on the same side is likely. Talking her into defecting is not, in my opinion.

Next strip, 1248, will have Haley struggle with the decision of tracking down Serini while Belkar struggles with unwrapping V from the pig in a blanket. Haley will choose to rejoin the team.

I'm betting ten of my newly purchased quatloos.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-16, 09:59 AM
Next strip Prediction (1249)
Either:

V and Haley and Belkar drop in through the ceiling (passwall) into Serini's quarters, where Lien and O-Chul are still chained to the wall

Or

Switch back to Elan and Sunny having a conversation (and we see Minrah doing something to help Roy or Durkon) while Bloodfeast keeps a firm grip on Mr Scruffy's tail as they scamper about the room doing antics.

Lexible
2021-11-16, 12:16 PM

I AM OWED QUATLOOS!

or a cookie: I would happily settle for a cookie.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-16, 03:19 PM
I AM OWED QUATLOOS! There's a silver dragon around here, somewhere, who ought to be able to pay up. :smallbiggrin:

brian 333
2021-11-16, 07:36 PM
I AM OWED QUATLOOS!

or a cookie: I would happily settle for a cookie.

Already gave you mine. Bought more quatloos with worthless U.S. currency, and promptly lost those too.

If only I could afford Bitcoins.

Lexible
2021-11-16, 10:12 PM
Already gave you mine. Bought more quatloos with worthless U.S. currency, and promptly lost those too.

If only I could afford Bitcoins.

I hold you in my esteem, good brian, and ask only that you do not continue to hate me. :smallsmile:

brian 333
2021-11-17, 08:34 AM
I hold you in my esteem, good brian, and ask only that you do not continue to hate me. :smallsmile:

Meh, it's internet hate, so it's abundant, cheap, and fake. Like Quatloos, actually.

In the next comic Haley has to realize that following Serini into a trap is a bad idea. Someone has already mentioned that her lair is likely to be on the other side of the floor, and there is a cauldron of 'forget about it' waiting to be sloshed on them in there.

I'm going to say that Haley chooses to reunite with the party before using up V's only Passwall scroll so they do not become permanently separated.
I bet 10 totally real Quatloos on it.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-17, 08:46 AM
I'm going to say that Haley chooses to reunite with the party before using up V's only Passwall scroll so they do not become permanently separated. I think V uses pass wall, Belkar gets into a scrap with Serini with V deflecting various magic that Serini uses (counterspell) and Haley frees the two paladins. Betting no quataloos, since I saw a black cat walk across the road this morning.

Squire Doodad
2021-11-19, 04:23 PM
I'm going to say that Haley chooses to reunite with the party before using up V's only Passwall scroll so they do not become permanently separated.
I bet 10 totally real Quatloos on it.

:vaarsuvius: :"You think I only had one Passwall Scroll? I would only have done that if I were the same sort of imbecile to only have one round of Adamantine Arrows."

RatElemental
2021-11-19, 04:39 PM
Passwall lasts at least 9 hours anyway.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-19, 08:49 PM
:vaarsuvius: :"You think I only had one Passwall Scroll? I would only have done that if I were the same sort of imbecile to only have one round of Adamantine Arrows." Snigger, for all that I like Haley, gotta take Blue V's side on this.

brian 333
2021-11-19, 11:31 PM
:Haley: :
Hey! Adamantine arrows aren't easy to find! If you think wizard scroll booster packs are rough, wait 'till you see what you have to deal with in a Rogue Bundle!

brian 333
2021-11-29, 08:41 AM
Well, there goes my quatloos again. I'm not sure how you divide 10 quatloos evenly between everyone on the internet.

Next: the remainder of the Order convince Sunny to lead them to the lair, perhaps to arrive in time to see Haley & Co. defeated and to in turn defeat Serini in the following comic.

The usual 10 quatloos are on the table.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-29, 01:59 PM
Next: the remainder of the Order convince Sunny to lead them to the lair, perhaps to arrive in time to see Haley & Co. defeated and to in turn defeat Serini in the following comic.
#1250 will introduce, I suspect, one of Serini's tricks - from her bag of them - that she has been saving for a rainy day.

RatElemental
2021-11-29, 04:40 PM
#1250 will introduce, I suspect, one of Serini's tricks - from her bag of them - that she has been saving for a rainy day.

Cue a cut to the desert with the Snarl breaking out of the rift and the proverbial excrement hitting the air circulation device.

Ron Miel
2021-12-26, 12:57 AM
Serini will start to tell her version of Order Of The Scribble, how they found the rifts and why they broke up.

This will rethink everything you thought you knew about the rifts.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-03, 11:22 AM
Serini will start to tell her version of Order Of The Scribble, how they found the rifts and why they broke up. I doubt anyone will hear her voice, given that she'll be inside of a shark.

Mad Humanist
2022-01-08, 08:46 AM
Serini will say to Belkar: "So you're from the Bitterleaf clan?"

Belkar replies with details.

Serini says: "Well then the deal's off. I am not giving so much as a coackroach's toenail to any Bitterleaf scum."

Thus both the encounter and Belkar/Serini speculation are ended.

pearl jam
2022-01-08, 08:54 AM
One can dream.... :smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-08, 10:55 AM
I doubt anyone will hear her voice, given that she'll be inside of a shark. I was only temporarily correct, it seems.

For 1252 there will be a lot of dialogue, Paladins will be released, Serini is not quite out of tricks, but at some point we need to return to Minrah, Elan, Sunny, et al. Not sure if sufficient 'this is sorted out' momentum has been achieved to switch scenes.

Ron Miel
2022-01-08, 12:38 PM
Serini will start to tell her version of Order Of The Scribble, how they found the rifts and why they broke up.

Didn't happen this strip, but I still think it will happen soon. Within the next few updates.

Snails
2022-01-13, 07:49 PM
I think we will find that Serini knows quite a bit less about the Rifts than the Order does now.

The Godsmoot and Thor have revealed information to the Order that Serini is probably simply unaware of, and unlikely to believe. She is still stuck in the mindset of "we definitely do not want it to come to the point that the gods have to make a third world".

halfeye
2022-01-19, 08:17 PM
I think that Serini won't know about the godsmoot by the end of the update.

JonahFalcon
2022-01-25, 07:58 AM
I should have posted this here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25342324&postcount=92

littlebum2002
2022-01-26, 04:11 PM

This guy already made me rethink everything I thought I knew about rifts

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0845.html

b_jonas
2022-01-27, 06:44 AM
I have already predicted that Trigak the chimera will return. I'd like to add something to this.

When we last met Trigak, Vaarsuvius defeated him. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) The next time, it will be Roy who defeats Trigak. He'll use his goat herding skills (#141 2nd panel), since a chimera is a half-goat half-lion monster (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html).

Metastachydium
2022-01-27, 03:05 PM
I have already predicted that Trigak the chimera will return. I'd like to add something to this.

When we last met Trigak, Vaarsuvius defeated him. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) The next time, it will be Roy who defeats Trigak. He'll use his goat herding skills (#141 2nd panel), since a chimera is a half-goat half-lion monster (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html).

Did you mean half-goat half-lion half-dragonthing?

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-27, 03:45 PM
Did you mean half-goat half-lion half-dragonthing?Chimera, v 1.5. :smallwink:

Crusher
2022-02-02, 10:34 PM
Chimera, v 1.5. :smallwink:

Just x1

Chimeras are non-Euclidian.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-03, 12:35 AM
Just x1

Chimeras are non-Euclidian.
Wait, wasn't Euclid a Greek? Chimeras are Greek. Not buying what you are selling. :smallwink: