PDA

View Full Version : The name for balancing something by making it annoying to use

Crake
2021-04-18, 06:50 PM
What's the name of the fallacy about balancing something by making it annoying to use? Does it have a name, like the stormwind and oberoni fallacies?

TheTrickster
2021-04-18, 06:54 PM
I believe it was called Grod's Law, named after the forum user who created it years ago.

JNAProductions
2021-04-18, 07:42 PM
I believe it was called Grod's Law, named after the forum user who created it years ago.

Yup, that's what I've heard it as.

Well, Grod's Law is that you SHOULDN'T do that. :P

Remuko
2021-04-19, 12:44 AM
What's the name of the fallacy about balancing something by making it annoying to use? Does it have a name, like the stormwind and oberoni fallacies?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=17613518&postcount=102

here's the post of its origin since others have already explained what it is.

Crake
2021-04-19, 03:58 AM
Ah yup yup, I was fairly sure it had a name, but I couldn't for the life of me remember it! I wanted to cite it in a discussion about a certain MMO trying to balance a thing by just making it annoying to use rather than any form of proper balance :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2021-04-19, 08:02 AM
Ah yup yup, I was fairly sure it had a name, but I couldn't for the life of me remember it! I wanted to cite it in a discussion about a certain MMO trying to balance a thing by just making it annoying to use rather than any form of proper balance :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, Grod's Law is specific to this forum, I think.

For instance: It's not on TV Tropes.

Edit: The name, that is. The idea is universal, for games.

RexDart
2021-04-19, 08:19 AM
Grod's Law is a great concept, though, and I'm glad I learned about it today.

Crake
2021-04-19, 12:10 PM

Yah, I was gonna preface my argument with "this appears on an rpg forum i frequent" :smalltongue:

Zanos
2021-04-19, 03:49 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=17613518&postcount=102

here's the post of its origin since others have already explained what it is.
Of course it was that thread. I think this was the guy that 'balanced' spellcasters by making them roleplay out going to a bat cave and scraping guano off the walls every time they wanted to cast fireball, and then telling them couldn't actually go do that because of [reason].

eunwoler
2021-04-19, 04:03 PM
Of course it was that thread. I think this was the guy that 'balanced' spellcasters by making them roleplay out going to a bat cave and scraping guano off the walls every time they wanted to cast fireball, and then telling them couldn't actually go do that because of [reason].

This is the most remarkable solution of all time

What's the inverse of nerfing through inconvenience? Buffing through inconvenience?

Let Fighters cast wish by making them roleplay out going to a bat cave and scraping magical Wish-enchanted guano off the walls every time they want to cast it, and then telling them they did it during their downtime because of [reason]

Zanos
2021-04-19, 04:05 PM
This is the most remarkable solution of all time

What's the inverse of nerfing through inconvenience? Buffing through inconvenience?

Let Fighters cast wish by making them roleplay out going to a bat cave and scraping magical Wish-enchanted guano off the walls every time they want to cast it, and then telling them they did it during their downtime because of [reason]
You joke, but:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/

eunwoler
2021-04-19, 04:27 PM
You joke, but:

I feel like I have earned my phD by having interpreted at least a third of this delicious thing

ciopo
2021-04-19, 04:50 PM
Is there a list somewhere of gitp laws/fallacies/anedoctes named after such and such?

Re:sacred geometry : case in ppint there is probably a resource somewhere in the world wide web that largely automates mathing the math.
Whoch is a shame because MATH!! is like 80% of the fun!

One Step Two
2021-04-19, 07:02 PM
Is there a list somewhere of gitp laws/fallacies/anedoctes named after such and such?

Yes, Waker created a thread called Giant in the Courthouse (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?531042-Giant-in-the-Courthouse) to help list and also cement other such ideas in place.

Crake
2021-04-19, 08:44 PM

Re:sacred geometry : case in ppint there is probably a resource somewhere in the world wide web that largely automates mathing the math.
Whoch is a shame because MATH!! is like 80% of the fun!

There are a lot of resources automating sacred geometry, including multiple phone apps dedicated to nothing more than solving it

When i used it one time for big keks, we ended up ruling that a) only pen and paper was allowed, b) I had to declare I was intending to use it the round before I used it, and c) if i couldn't manage to solve it by the time it came around to my turn, i'd lose the benefits, so it became an exercise in quick maffs!

eunwoler
2021-04-19, 08:45 PM
There are a lot of resources automating sacred geometry, including multiple phone apps dedicated to nothing more than solving it

I read it four times and I still have no idea what the phok is going on

Darg
2021-04-19, 11:44 PM
I read it four times and I still have no idea what the phok is going on

When you get the feat pick any two metamagics you want to cast spells with. Every time you take the feat you can pick two more. Next comes what happens when you want to cast a spell with those metamagics:

1) Determine what combo of metamagics you want to cast with, up to a maximum of the highest spell level you could cast normally. Remember the modified spell level.

2) Roll a number of d6s equal to your ranks in Knowledge (engineering).

3a) Combine all the results of each die to reach one of the numbers to the right of the modified spell level in the table.

3b) To do this you can subtract, add, multiply, or divide the numbers from your die rolls from (2) in any possible combination or order.

4) If you find a combo that works, you basically cast the metamagic spell for free.

Did that help?

ciopo
2021-04-20, 03:04 AM
Yes, Waker created a thread called Giant in the Courthouse (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?531042-Giant-in-the-Courthouse) to help list and also cement other such ideas in place.
Thank you!

Quertus
2021-04-20, 10:15 AM

How would one go about getting Grod's Law added to TV Tropes?

JNAProductions
2021-04-20, 10:21 AM

Make a page.

Crake
2021-04-20, 07:06 PM

It's not reallyyy a tvtrope though, is it? It's more a rule of game design

One Step Two
2021-04-20, 07:09 PM
I'm aware there's a TvTropes page for Order of the Stick, is there one for the forums? Or would that just be redundant to chronicle our particular idiosyncrasies, the forum is more than happy to offer up our own issues when directly asked. Like this thread for example.

icefractal
2021-04-20, 07:39 PM

When i used it one time for big keks, we ended up ruling that a) only pen and paper was allowed, b) I had to declare I was intending to use it the round before I used it, and c) if i couldn't manage to solve it by the time it came around to my turn, i'd lose the benefits, so it became an exercise in quick maffs!Sounds fun. Making a (non brute force) solver for it was pretty interesting as well.

I have used it a couple times - getting Heighten simplifies matters because you only have to remember the target numbers for your highest spell level. Good? Yes, quite good. Not as crazy as it seems at first glance though - the cap means you're not pulling off any Arcane Thesis level shenanigans, and PF metamagic just doesn't have quite the same amount of power as 3.5 metamagic does (no Twin, no Fell anything, Persistent is totally different).

Batcathat
2021-04-21, 01:10 AM
It's not reallyyy a tvtrope though, is it? It's more a rule of game design

It's been a long time since they had only tv-related tropes though. This would be far from the oddest thing on there.

Malphegor
2021-04-21, 02:22 AM
You joke, but:

Sacred Geometry is actually really fun and I don’t say that as a Brit who grew up enjoying the numbers round of the gameshow Countdown which is basically that feat but without a reason to do it