PDA

View Full Version : Guessing A prediction on the "only one appearance" character

Cicciograna
2021-04-18, 10:17 PM
So. I couldn't find exactly the quote from the Giant, but I remember (and Google somewhat confirms it) that at one point he confirmed that a character who had only one appearance in the strip would play a very important role at the end of the story.

Today I was re-reading "How the Paladin Got His Scar". And realized that...

...the previous Supreme Leader of the hobgoblin, who appears in strip 149 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html), was in fact a Cleric. What if it is HIM the important character that appears only in one strip? He's a Cleric, thus potentially able to become a Bearer of the Crimson Mantle and thus High Priest of the Dark One, and in HtPGHS he seemed very reasonable, very focused on the well being of the goblinoids and not at all trigger happy.
If Redcloak died, and him was the next Dark One's High Priest, getting that drop of divine power - assuming that he's still alive, and of sufficient level - could prove easier than convincing Redcloak.

Now, to be honest...

...I don't really remember if the Giant's prediction included the bonus material in the "single appearance" clause, so if it does, please don't destroy me too much, lol.

Gurgeh
2021-04-18, 11:20 PM
Bonus material was explicitly mentioned as counting towards the "only one appearance" clause, so unfortunately the Former Supreme Leader doesn't fit - but it's a good guess regardless! I really liked him and it'd be great if he were to show up again.

B. Dandelion
2021-04-18, 11:38 PM
Yeah unfortunately -- you guessed already.

Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out.

(Also note that it's for the first half of the story, not the ending.)

Dr.Zero
2021-04-19, 05:22 AM
Moreover he backed off from his role of supreme leader after seeing a single casting of Slay Living, only one year ago (or something close).
He doesn't sound as someone who could cast any 9th level spell soon.

Emanick
2021-04-19, 05:34 AM
Moreover he backed off from his role of supreme leader after seeing a single casting of Slay Living, only one year ago (or something close).
He doesn't sound as someone who could cast any 9th level spell soon.

To be fair, Redcloak has gained several levels since then. If Ex-Supreme Leader used the time to go adventuring, he might not be too far off by now.

I’m nearly 100% sure it’s moot, though. He’s probably not going to pop up again.

Cicciograna
2021-04-19, 07:28 AM
Bonus material was explicitly mentioned as counting towards the "only one appearance" clause, so unfortunately the Former Supreme Leader doesn't fit - but it's a good guess regardless! I really liked him and it'd be great if he were to show up again.

Ouch! Well, that definitely is the nail in the coffin!

mjasghar
2021-04-19, 09:21 AM
Specifically it’s supposed to be only one page
Which is why I’m thinking it’s the dragon troll hybrid from the death of Durkons dad, who may be the orange voice helping Serini. It would mean a retelling of the incident which has only been shown in crayon - so it could easily be that the troll wasn’t the belligerent.

halfeye
2021-04-19, 09:27 AM
We already have a thread for this, and it's not out of time yet:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?604533-Major-character-who-has-only-appeared-on-1-page-in-the-entire-OOTS-saga

My guess by the way is still the MitD, and I just know people aren't going to like that.

KorvinStarmast
2021-04-19, 12:10 PM
Which is why I’m thinking it’s the dragon troll hybrid from the death of Durkons dad, who may be the orange voice helping Serini. That one sure has potential ...

truemane
2021-04-19, 01:33 PM
Metamagic Mod: there's a thread for this already.