PDA

View Full Version : Artificer homunculus servant question

dnd2016
2021-04-19, 11:46 AM
So let's say I make my servant into a lantern or something like that. If I tell him to sit on a table and Tuck his arms in and be silent, could he potentially fool an enemy into thinking he was a regular lantern?

KorvinStarmast
2021-04-19, 01:04 PM
So let's say I make my servant into a lantern or something like that. If I tell him to sit on a table and Tuck his arms in and be silent, could he potentially fool an enemy into thinking he was a regular lantern? I smell a Charisma (Deception) check in the making ... :smallsmile:

dnd2016
2021-04-19, 01:41 PM
I smell a Charisma (Deception) check in the making ... :smallsmile:

Against his stealth I guess?

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 01:43 PM
IIRC it doesn't even need limbs it could just be a normal looking lamp right

stoutstien
2021-04-19, 03:00 PM
So let's say I make my servant into a lantern or something like that. If I tell him to sit on a table and Tuck his arms in and be silent, could he potentially fool an enemy into thinking he was a regular lantern?

Very much in DM ruling territory. By a strict reading you can determine it's appearance but it doesn't gain any mechanical advantages from this like the false appearance feature.

Quietus
2021-04-19, 04:35 PM
Very much in DM ruling territory. By a strict reading you can determine it's appearance but it doesn't gain any mechanical advantages from this like the false appearance feature.

The 100 GP gem at the center of the item might also give it away.

stoutstien
2021-04-19, 04:43 PM
The 100 GP gem at the center of the item might also give it away.

Im less concerned there unless the npc is a xorn because a gem center is pretty subjective and the artificer has complete freedom for the homunculus' design.

Off the cuff I would probably make it some kind of ability challenge and add an infusion option to add false appearance to it and maybe some other feature like a 1/day teleport.