PDA

View Full Version : Lions for Lambs

kpenguin
2007-11-10, 10:11 PM
I saw Lions for Lambs with my friends last night and I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-12, 04:22 PM
I saw Lions for Lambs with my friends last night and I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

I haven't seen it, and am torn whether I will or not; this thread will likely have a great deal to do with my decision.

The trailers make it look good, as they are intended to do. I like Tom Hanks a great deal, and the topic is interesting, but... Tom Cruise....

He just kills movies for me, and always has. I really don't care about his personal life and his personal crazy, or really care about that in regards to any actor. I've heard Russell Crowe is horrible, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying his movies.

Tom Cruise is just always the same guy: Tom Cruise in a flight suit; Tom Cruise in a race car; Tom Cruise the athletic agent. The exception was The Last Samurai, where he really did become the role rather than the actor.

I guess really, I'm seconding KPenguin's request: please share your thoughts. I'm on the fence about the movie and won't need much to sway me one way or the other.

EDIT: Sorry about the tirade, and please don't let TC become the topic of this thread! That's not what I was intending!

kpenguin
2007-11-12, 04:35 PM
Tom was OKAY. He was the villian (if any of the characters could really be called that), but he was very convincing as the ambitious senator.

Is it weird I mistook Robert Redford for David Hasselhoff at first?

TheEmerged
2007-11-12, 09:53 PM
I have what I refer to as the Ban List. If a movie stars any actor on that list, I don't see it without STRONG recommendations from people I trust (and I mean people I know IRL). That list includes Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Robert Redford, Leonardo DiCaprio, Halle Barry (added as of X-Men 3), and a few others. Bruce Willis used to be on this list too, but earned a respite with Unbreakable.

2007-11-12, 11:10 PM
Tom Cruise is just always the same guy: Tom Cruise in a flight suit; Tom Cruise in a race car; Tom Cruise the athletic agent. The exception was The Last Samurai, where he really did become the role rather than the actor.

Um...

http://is1.okcupid.com/users/216/918/2169180323467340062/mt1119741394.jpg

Occasional Sage
2007-11-12, 11:11 PM
Um...

http://is1.okcupid.com/users/216/918/2169180323467340062/mt1119741394.jpg

Can't say, somehow missed it. :smallredface:

2007-11-12, 11:13 PM
Can't say, somehow missed it. :smallredface:

Collateral. Tom Cruise is a sociopathic assassin.

I only bring it up because its pretty much my favorite movie of all time.

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen it, and am torn whether I will or not; this thread will likely have a great deal to do with my decision.

The trailers make it look good, as they are intended to do. I like Tom Hanks a great deal, and the topic is interesting, but... Tom Cruise....

He just kills movies for me, and always has. I really don't care about his personal life and his personal crazy, or really care about that in regards to any actor. I've heard Russell Crowe is horrible, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying his movies.

I guess really, I'm seconding KPenguin's request: please share your thoughts. I'm on the fence about the movie and won't need much to sway me one way or the other.

EDIT: Sorry about the tirade, and please don't let TC become the topic of this thread! That's not what I was intending!

I actually have always felt exactly the same way about Tom Cruise. ('Cept I didn't see him as particularly good in The Last Samurai.) In fact, I might not have seen this movie if I had known beforehand that Tom Cruise is in it. That said, I thought that he was pretty good in this movie. Sleasy senator pretending not to be sleazy works well for him, I guess.

The movie was pretty well done, although it did get a bit less interesting near the end due to the anviliciousness. It would have been more moving, I think, if the directors had eased up on the (I suppose what is required in such movies these days) montage of famous Washington DC landmarks and soldiers dying tragically in slow motion. I mean, there was too much in terms of music, camera work, etc. saying, "You are supposed to feel sad," for me to feel sad.

That's a relatively minor point, though. I liked it overall, and "Examine your life," is a good message whatever your personal politics are.