PDA

View Full Version : what to do with an orc

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 01:49 PM
So I have been playing in a dnd club for a while now with a social encounter character using the social encounter rules, recently the club has been banning large amounts of my kit and I have been given the opportunity to rebuild my character. I honestly have no idea what to do. he's a level 6 orc, I am taking any suggestion on what to play now.

Unoriginal
2021-04-19, 01:53 PM
So I have been playing in a dnd club for a while now with a social encounter character using the social encounter rules, recently the club has been banning large amounts of my kit and I have been given the opportunity to rebuild my character. I honestly have no idea what to do. he's a level 6 orc, I am taking any suggestion on what to play now.

A few questions to help us help you:

What was/is banned at the table?

What do you like to play?

What's the current adventure your party is in? The current campaign?

Who are the most common antagonists currently and do you thing it's likely to change?

What stats rules do your table use?

At which level do you think the campaign will end?

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 02:03 PM
A few questions to help us help you:

What was/is banned at the table?

What do you like to play?

What's the current adventure your party is in? The current campaign?

Who are the most common antagonists currently and do you thing it's likely to change?

What stats rules do your table use?

At which level do you think the campaign will end?

I prefer to play magic uses. on the side of artificers enchantment wizards and similar

our current party is a blood hunter warlock, a swashbuckler rogue, wild magic Barbarin, a paladin the makes food, and a nature cleric.

I expect to end around level 10 ish

we are fighting monstrosity, dragons, and undead.

I am not allowed to re-roll my stats but can change them around. my stats are, 8,10,12,14,18,18

Banned content is kinda long, but we have a lot of random spells and magic items banned and the only class banned right now is peace domain. a lot of the content around social encounters is banned so spells like the gift of the gab and such.

other content, we use the league of legends content that was posted on dnd beyond and all of matt mercers stuff.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-19, 02:07 PM
Why not a gravity wizard? Lots of levers for a mage, basically a support wizard that messes with anything it wants to. It's one of Mercer's subclasses.

Sorinth
2021-04-19, 02:07 PM
Orcs can make great clerics. Having a BA Dash works great with Spirit Guardians though it does compete with Spiritual Weapon. The 2 free skills provide skills you probably want notably Insight & Perception.

Unoriginal
2021-04-19, 02:12 PM
I am not allowed to re-roll my stats but can change them around. my stats are, 8,10,12,14,18,18

Is that before or after racial modifiers and ASIs?

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 02:14 PM
Is that before or after racial modifiers?

after race mods but we are using tashas changing your mods rules and I can change my mods as part of this rebuild, For refrance without mods it is 8,8,12,14,17,18

Edit, yes i did use my +2 to remove one of my 8s probaly not the best choice.

Unoriginal
2021-04-19, 02:23 PM
after race mods but we are using tashas changing your mods rules and I can change my mods as part of this rebuild, For refrance without mods it is 8,8,12,14,17,18

Thanks!

One last question: does your DM enforce the Multiclassing stat requirements, or not?

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 02:25 PM
Thanks!

One last question: does your DM enforce the Multiclassing stat requirements, or not?

yes, we use the multiclassing stat requirments

Unoriginal
2021-04-19, 02:54 PM
yes, we use the multiclassing stat requirments

Alright. Well, I do have one suggestion, but it's pretty crazy and you'd somewhat be playing against type, so I'd understand if you don't like it. Still, I have to suggest it:

1) Make sure you have 18 in DEX and WIS, as well as a minimum of 13 in CHA and STR. Sadly this put your CON low, but see what's next.

2) Go Monk of the Long Death for all 6 of your current level. This give you the Hour of Reaping ability, which let you use an action to inflict the Frightened condition for one round to everyone who fail their save in a 30ft radius. As an orc you can use your bonus action to move faster for free, so you shouldn't have problems affecting your team unless the fight's happening in a very narrow space.

On top of that, you still have all the good stuff the Monk can do, especially the post-Tasha Monk, and none of the Long Death Monk's abilities cost ki to use, so you can use your ki for your base class abilities without conflict. Plus Long Death Monks can get temporary HPs to compensate your low CON some.

3) For the next levels, multiclass into Paladin. Take Oath of Conquest. Not only you can Flurry of Blow Smite, and use your Channel Divinity to improve your hitting chances, the main combo of this build happens when you're lvl 13 (so Paladin 7):

Any creature Frightened while in your 10ft Paladin Aura has its speed reduced to 0, and takes damage. And with Hour of Reaping you can Frighten at will. Which means that you can immobilize and damage a lot of people (while debuffing an even larger group) that your team can just pick on.

I know it's fairly high level stuff and a long road to get to it, but I think it would be pretty fun.

Or you could just go either Long Death Monk or Conquest Paladin. Your orc certainly has the stats for it, and both classes are fun.

Segev
2021-04-19, 02:58 PM
What is your current build, and how much do you want to preserve any part of it in terms of flavor, backstory, or strategy?

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 03:02 PM
What is your current build, and how much do you want to preserve any part of it in terms of flavor, backstory, or strategy?

currently, I am an eloquence bard, none the orc is a god impersonating charlatan, I honestly don't really care to keep much of my flavoring and abilities.

Alright. Well, I do have one suggestion, but it's pretty crazy and you'd somewhat be playing against type, so I'd understand if you don't like it. Still, I have to suggest it:

1) Make sure you have 18 in DEX and WIS, as well as a minimum of 13 in CHA and STR. Sadly this put your CON low, but see what's next.

2) Go Monk of the Long Death for all 6 of your current level. This give you the Hour of Reaping ability, which let you use an action to inflict the Frightened condition for one round to everyone who fail their save in a 30ft radius. As an orc you can use your bonus action to move faster for free, so you shouldn't have problems affecting your team unless the fight's happening in a very narrow space.

On top of that, you still have all the good stuff the Monk can do, especially the post-Tasha Monk, and none of the Long Death Monk's abilities cost ki to use, so you can use your ki for your base class abilities without conflict. Plus Long Death Monks can get temporary HPs to compensate your low CON some.

3) For the next levels, multiclass into Paladin. Take Oath of Conquest. Not only you can Flurry of Blow Smite, and use your Channel Divinity to improve your hitting chances, the main combo of this build happens when you're lvl 13 (so Paladin 7):

Any creature Frightened while in your 10ft Paladin Aura has its speed reduced to 0, and takes damage. And with Hour of Reaping you can Frighten at will. Which means that you can immobilize and damage a lot of people (while debuffing an even larger group) that your team can just pick on.

I know it's fairly high level stuff and a long road to get to it, but I think it would be pretty fun.

Or you could just go either Long Death Monk or Conquest Paladin. Your orc certainly has the stats for it, and both classes are fun.

I like this a lot but probably will not use it. I might use this some point tho. I am looking for more casting abilities.

Segev
2021-04-19, 03:11 PM
currently, I am an eloquence bard, none the orc is a god impersonating charlatan, I honestly don't really care to keep much of my flavoring and abilities.

I like this a lot but probably will not use it. I might use this some point tho. I am looking for more casting abilities.

So, spellcasting orc of some variety is really all you've got as a current design goal in mind?

Maybe Artificer, since you mentioned you like that style anyway. Though that is int-based, and you have your high stats in Wis and Cha. Maybe an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer? Lots of enchantment and social-usable abilities with free Subtle Spell if you cast from sorcery points alone. Is Eloquence Bard itself banned? Or just spell and feat selections you currently have?

Unoriginal
2021-04-19, 03:12 PM
Though that is int-based, and you have your high stats in Wis and Cha.

OP said they can shuffle their stats around.

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 03:14 PM
So, spellcasting orc of some variety is really all you've got as a current design goal in mind?

Maybe Artificer, since you mentioned you like that style anyway. Though that is int-based, and you have your high stats in Wis and Cha. Maybe an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer? Lots of enchantment and social-usable abilities with free Subtle Spell if you cast from sorcery points alone. Is Eloquence Bard itself banned? Or just spell and feat selections you currently have?

yes, eloquence bard isn't banned just several spells and interactions I was using and built around. my stats are not listed based on what is currently what but from lowest to highest as I will be able to change them around as part of the rebuild.

Sorinth
2021-04-19, 03:19 PM
If Artificer interests you then you can refluff it fairly easily into a Shaman that imbues items with spirits which give the item magical properties.

Amdy_vill
2021-04-19, 03:20 PM
If Artificer interests you then you can refluff it fairly easily into a Shaman that imbues items with spirits which give the item magical properties.

yes, this is it I have found my new idea. thanks

follacchioso
2021-04-20, 01:09 AM
Let's have a look at the Orc race traits and see what is useful there.

Powerful build allows you to carry very big weights without effort. So your character may carry something very bulky around, and that would be his distinctive trait. One of my characters was an orc bard who carried an harpsichord on his back. Can you think of something on the lines?

Aggressive allows you to dash as a bonus action, towards an enemy. This is extremely useful for a melee character. You will get even more mileage from it if you have higher speed, eg taking Mobile or by being a monk or ranger. My orc bard had Tavern Brawler, smashing the aforementioned harpsichord on his enemies; however personally I don't recommend it, it's not a good build to fight, there are much better grappler builds with Tasha.

primal instincts grants you two free skills, which is nothing to sneeze about. They are all nature-centric, suggesting a character who comes from the out skirt of civilization.

Theodoxus
2021-04-20, 10:40 AM

yes, this is it I have found my new idea. thanks

This is f'n epic! I'm gonna steal this... though I'm not sure I'd use it with Orc (just really not a fan of the race). But maybe Lizardfolk... works on a lot of levels.