PDA

View Full Version : Can a Mislead Image Noclip Through Walls?

ATHATH
2021-04-19, 03:46 PM
You become invisible at the same time that an illusory double of you appears where you are standing. The double lasts for the duration, but the invisibility ends if you attack or cast a spell.

You can use your action to move your illusory double up to twice your speed and make it gesture, speak, and behave in whatever way you choose.

You can see through its eyes and hear through its ears as if you were located where it is. On each of your turns as a bonus action, you can switch from using its senses to using your own, or back again. While you are using its senses, you are blinded and deafened in regard to your own surrounding.
The illusory double created by Mislead is intangible, right? Does that mean that I can just order it to walk straight through a wall? The spell doesn't say that I have to be able to see where I send it; I just move my double "up to twice your speed".

Can the illusory double float up or down without taking stairs or something if I don't have a flying speed?

Tanarii
2021-04-19, 04:18 PM
Depends if you interpret the "clear path to the target" rule as only being a requirement during casting / when the effect manifests, or a constant requirement throughout the spell. (For spells with duration.)

Segev
2021-04-19, 04:27 PM
Depends if you interpret the "clear path to the target" rule as only being a requirement during casting / when the effect manifests, or a constant requirement throughout the spell. (For spells with duration.)

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of spells that break pretty badly if you can't go around the corner from their effects without them breaking down/failing. Conjurations, arguably find familiar or summon steed, a number of illusions (seeming, for instance, or hallucinatory terrain or mirage arcane)... can you imagine if invisibility because the rogue closed a door between you and he while he was scouting?

Cybren
2021-04-19, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of spells that break pretty badly if you can't go around the corner from their effects without them breaking down/failing. Conjurations, arguably find familiar or summon steed, a number of illusions (seeming, for instance, or hallucinatory terrain or mirage arcane)... can you imagine if invisibility because the rogue closed a door between you and he while he was scouting?

Right, one of the main uses of an upcast major image, for example, is that you can leave it somewhere forever, not that you can spend your action or whatever having an illusion follow you around at 30ft per round

Segev
2021-04-19, 07:54 PM
Right, one of the main uses of an upcast major image, for example, is that you can leave it somewhere forever, not that you can spend your action or whatever having an illusion follow you around at 30ft per round

Actually, I do not believe the rule he's referencing regarding "clear path" makes provision for permanent effects not requiring it. So even your permanent major image or programmed illusion would poof for breaking that "clear path" if it applied beyond the casting time. (I could be wrong, so am open to somebody pointing out a rule text I'm missing.)