PDA

View Full Version : Theory on Odin's argument for not ending the world

Patterned_Pike
2021-04-19, 05:22 PM
Odin's given reason for his "No" vote for strip #1000 is "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." Now I think it's obvious at this point that "worlds within worlds" refers to the fact that inside the rift there's a whole planet. My guess is that this is an echo of the original world (or the original world if it wasn't truly destroyed), which was created by 4 pantheons and is thus just as "real" as the Snarl, which the Snarl has recreated out of something akin to respect. What's more, I don't think the creatures that attacked Laurin and the people that have died to the rifts (except Kraggor) were necessarily "the" snarl, but spawns of the snarl which wound creatures out of its primordial yarn to live in that world. I think it would be thematically appropriate if at the end of all this after all the upcoming twists and reveals, if the final goal somehow shifts from "seal the rifts" to "find a way to communicate with and make peace with the Snarl creatures (if they exist)". I'm almost certainly wrong but it's fun to think about.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-04-20, 04:05 AM
Actually the idea of the world in the rift being the original 4 quiddity world.. could work pretty well!! Fun to think about certainly!

Mike Havran
2021-04-20, 02:07 PM
Odin's given reason for his "No" vote for strip #1000 is "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." Now I think it's obvious at this point that "worlds within worlds" refers to the fact that inside the rift there's a whole planet. My guess is that this is an echo of the original world (or the original world if it wasn't truly destroyed), which was created by 4 pantheons and is thus just as "real" as the Snarl, which the Snarl has recreated out of something akin to respect. What's more, I don't think the creatures that attacked Laurin and the people that have died to the rifts (except Kraggor) were necessarily "the" snarl, but spawns of the snarl which wound creatures out of its primordial yarn to live in that world. I think it would be thematically appropriate if at the end of all this after all the upcoming twists and reveals, if the final goal somehow shifts from "seal the rifts" to "find a way to communicate with and make peace with the Snarl creatures (if they exist)". I'm almost certainly wrong but it's fun to think about.
There's a problem that Odin was also quite baffled (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1150.html) by Durkon's comment about a planet inside the rift.

ByzantiumBhuka
2021-04-20, 03:58 PM
There's a problem that Odin was also quite baffled (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1150.html) by Durkon's comment about a planet inside the rift.

That can be explained by the fact that Odin has "good days and bad days" (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1145.html) when it comes to remembering things.

Fyraltari
2021-04-20, 04:06 PM
You know, Odin being senile here reminds me of how he is introduced in Sandman. As he waits for his crows, Thought qnd Memory, to return to him he just sits completely still unable to form a single thought or recall a single thing.

Mike Havran
2021-04-20, 04:07 PM
That can be explained by the fact that Odin has "good days and bad days" (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1145.html) when it comes to remembering things. Heh. It would be fun if he had some sort of Reversed Oracle thing going on; that is, he remembers everything except for his prophecies :smallamused:

Rrmcklin
2021-04-20, 05:34 PM
The gods saw the Snarl destroy the world and everything on it. I've not seen any theory to adequately explain that away besides "they misunderstood what happened".

Patterned_Pike
2021-04-20, 07:54 PM
The gods saw the Snarl destroy the world and everything on it. I've not seen any theory to adequately explain that away besides "they misunderstood what happened".

My thought was that they saw the Snarl slay all living creatures as it completely engulfed the world, but maybe it didn't truly unravel the world, just engulfed it and incorporated it, perhaps literally, perhaps in a more metaphysical way. Perhaps the Snarl remembers all the planets it has devoured, and with nothing to lash out at, the Snarl is building its own planet, and populating it using the matter and soul energy it takes from consuming the world that the gods don't destroy in time.

Patterned_Pike
2021-04-20, 07:55 PM

While his known issues could potentially explain this away, I'll be honest here and admit I forgot about that line.

brian 333
2021-04-20, 10:46 PM
My thought was that they saw the Snarl slay all living creatures as it completely engulfed the world, but maybe it didn't truly unravel the world, just engulfed it and incorporated it, perhaps literally, perhaps in a more metaphysical way. Perhaps the Snarl remembers all the planets it has devoured, and with nothing to lash out at, the Snarl is building its own planet, and populating it using the matter and soul energy it takes from consuming the world that the gods don't destroy in time.

Yarn winding yarn...