PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Need help calculating price for barding

Max Caysey
2021-04-20, 09:31 AM
So, I want to buy some Reinforced, Lightweight, Mithral Breastplate barding for my horse, but I'm a little unsure of how to calculate the price.

The rules say that you multiply the cost of the armor type by 4, when its armor made for a large non-humanoid creature, but what precisely does that mean? What exactly is supposed to get multiplied? Is it the total price of the specific armor, or is it that its a mithral breastplate', or that its a reinforced, lightweight breastplate, or that its a just a breast plate?

All of the above yields different results depending on which way you calculate it and before I ask my DM I wanted to hear what the thoughts were here.

Personally I'm leaning towards multiplying the mithral and breastplate cost, adding the cost for reinforced and lightweight after, but I don't know if thats correct!

Cheers!

Biggus
2021-04-20, 10:20 AM
As far as I know, this question has never been officially answered for 3.5, but in PF it was addressed in the FAQ:

First add up the total cost of the base item, including any special material. Then multiply by any multiplier for the size and unusual shape from Table 6-8. After that, add any additional cost for masterwork, if that isn't already part of the special material. Finally, apply any multiplier for discounts such as the 1/3 cost multiplier for crafting the item.

https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9vtl

As reinforced and lightweight modify the masterwork component, they'd presumably be added on after multiplying, as you said. Seems like the most sensible way to do it to me.

RNightstalker
2021-04-20, 10:18 PM
So, I want to buy some Reinforced, Lightweight, Mithral Breastplate barding for my horse, but I'm a little unsure of how to calculate the price.

What's your source for reinforced and lightweight properties? (I ask because I only got some homebrew results when I looked.)

Max Caysey
2021-04-21, 06:31 AM
What's your source for reinforced and lightweight properties? (I ask because I only got some homebrew results when I looked.)

Dragon Magazine #358

They have a bunch of non-magical properties you can add to both weapons and armor as part of the forging process, which increases the craft DC and price, but some of them are quite nice!

Reinforced adds +1 to the armor it provides, lightweight reduces overall wieght, segmented allows an extra dex modifier etc.... Some of them quite good!

Batcathat
2021-04-21, 07:07 AM
I saw the name of the thread and really thought it would be about the cost of hiring a bard. My brain might not be having its best day... :smalltongue:

Vaern
2021-04-21, 07:18 AM
I saw the name of the thread and really thought it would be about the cost of hiring a bard. My brain might not be having its best day... :smalltongue:

I thought the same thing and was ready to look up the cost of hirelings and whether special abilities have some sort of cost per use like spellcasting services.

Calthropstu
2021-04-21, 03:50 PM
The price for barding is pretty steep. First, there is the price of bard college. Then there's the price of instruments, tools, and travel expenses. See, gaining the ability bardic lore is actually quite time consuming.

Bardic lore requires both large amounts of travel and large amounts of listening to stories from other people. Especially bards. And actually listening to the stories of a bard requires serious patience and quite a bit of masochism. I mean seriously, those blow hards will drone on and on about really stupid stuff.

It also requires some magic training. I mean, bards don't exactly sling the most dangerous of spells, but they are dumb enough to screw it up catastrophically.

So to answer your question more concisely, the price of barding is gold, time, pain and your dignity. Because seriously, how lame is it to be singing at your opponents?