PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Detector

Forealms
2007-11-10, 10:51 PM
This is a much more elaborate and drawn-out test than the "Good, Neutral, or Evil?"'s test. From boredom drives mischief, creativity... or more boredom.

Rules:
Start at the centermost "True Neutral".
If you choose "Neutral", remain where you are.
If you choose "Hate", do the exact opposite of the following message.
If you choose "Like", heed the following message.
If, for example, you must move DOWN one and RIGHT one, but you are at "Chaotic Neutral", move only to "Chaotic Evil", do not move to "Lawful Evil"

FOR Vaarsuvius ONLY:
If you choose "Neutral", remain where you are.
If you choose "Hate", heed the following message.
If you choose "Like", heed the following message.

1. :mitd: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Right)

2. :miko: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Left)

3. :thog: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Down, One step Right)

4. :nale: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Down)

5. :redcloak: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= Two steps Down, One step Left)

6. :haley: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Up, One step Right)

7. :elan: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= One step Up)

8. :xykon: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= Two steps Down, One step Right)

9. :sabine: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= Two steps Down)

10. :belkar: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= Two steps Down, Two steps Right)

11. :vaarsuvius: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like/Hate= One step towards neutral on the Good/Evil axis)

12. :roy: Disapprove, Neutral, or Approve? (Like= Two steps Left, One step Up)

This goes by a slightly modified Standard Alignment Graph-

LG.......LG.......LG.......NG.......NG.......NG... ....CG.......CG.......CG
.l..........l..........l.........l..........l..... .....l..........l..........l..........l
.l..........l..........l.........l..........l..... .....l..........l..........l..........l
LN.......LN.......LN.......TN.......TN.......TN... ....CN.......CN.......CN
LE.......LE........LE.......NE.......NE.......NE.. .....CE.......CE.......CE

Results appreciated, criticism even more appreciated :smallwink:

Emanick
2007-11-10, 10:56 PM
This test is fundamentally flawed as well - nearly all the OOTS characters are likable.
Redcloak is Lawful.
I was Neutral, assuming that once one is Chaotic Evil, one cannot become more Chaotic or Evil. If that assumption is false, then I'm Chaotic Evil. :smallconfused:

Forealms
2007-11-10, 11:07 PM
As I said, criticism is welcome. You are correct in assuming that you can't get any more chaotic or evil beyond chaotic evil. I am already working on this ;)

nearly all the OOTS characters are likable.

This test assumes by "liking" you approve of their actions.

PlasticSoldier
2007-11-10, 11:10 PM
LN NE

I think its flawed, because if someone likes Belkar its impossible to be LE and I am most certainly not LN.

On second look if someone likes Belkar, V, and roy one must be either LN or LG.

Edit: The edited one is great but just so you know Redcloak is LE

ref
2007-11-10, 11:11 PM
Is order important? Because in this case I guess 99% of people can just start at Q.10

Forealms
2007-11-10, 11:27 PM
Edited slightly, fixed Redcloak to Lawful Evil (with a stronger evil side).

MCerberus
2007-11-10, 11:35 PM
If I think this is a horrible waste of time because you cannot base morality on how endearing a comedy character is and refuse to take it... does that make me CN?

Forealms
2007-11-10, 11:45 PM
If I think this is a horrible waste of time because you cannot base morality on how endearing a comedy character is and refuse to take it... does that make me CN?

It might :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2007-11-11, 12:09 AM
If you like all of them, you are apparently lawful evil. Hmm...

Setra
2007-11-11, 12:23 AM
Hmm.. well I'm LG.. but only one step above LN, with L all the way on the left, so I'm probably LN anyways.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-11, 01:13 AM
What's this, a hokey-pokey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey-pokey) generator?

Leper_Kahn
2007-11-11, 03:07 AM
If you do the proper decisions:
1. Like
2. Hate
3. Like
4. Doesn't matter
5. Hate
6. Like
7. Doesn't matter
8. Like
9. Doesn't matter
10. Like
11. Neutral
12. Hate

You end up well over the edge to the right.

I think I see other ways to get off to the bottom too.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-11, 03:22 AM
Nevermind, I missed a few. Liking everyone puts you three steps down below the bottom row, from the third CE from the right.

daggaz
2007-11-11, 03:58 AM
why in the world does liking/hating V automatically put you to neutral? Or is this some thinly veiled jab at sexuality? Personally I like V, but he is nowhere near important enough to have such an effect on the alignment test...

Also, I got off the chart on evilness on this one... Its just not true! (gasp omg the internet alignement test is flawd?!! dun dun dun!!)

ysp
2007-11-11, 06:22 AM
Wow this test proves yet again that I'm chaotic evil! Do I really need to take these tests? Isn't killing people on the street enough?

Sylian
2007-11-11, 06:46 AM
I'm assuming that with "Hate" you mean dislike and not hate, since hate leads to the Dark side. :smallamused:

I ended up as LG. Disliked the actions of all the evil people, liked Roy's actions, Neutral on the rest.

Kish
2007-11-11, 08:12 AM
Why is Roy twice as Lawful as he is good?

Iranon
2007-11-11, 09:08 AM
According to this... Neutral Evil, falling off the grid on the latter.

Personally, I think I'm at least somewhat Chaotic and not quite that Evil.

Not only is this fundamentally flawed (as the reasons for liking/disliking someone's actions would matter), but that problem also exists n professional attitude tests.

I disagree with the way V was implemented though; because of the way it's implemented there is too much emphasis on whether you like Roy or not. I think V should have like -> 1 step towards neutral on the good/evil axis.

Forealms
2007-11-11, 01:29 PM
I'm assuming that with "Hate" you mean dislike and not hate, since hate leads to the Dark side. :smallamused:

Stupidity has some place in the progression, too :smallamused:

I disagree with the way V was implemented though; because of the way it's implemented there is too much emphasis on whether you like Roy or not. I think V should have like -> 1 step towards neutral on the good/evil axis.

V is one of the hardest people to do, considering the lack of clear alignment. I have only actions to go by. But I think your method may work a little better than my current allotment. It will be edited.

Kai Maera
2007-11-11, 02:04 PM
I was Neutral, assuming that once one is Chaotic Evil, one cannot become more Chaotic or Evil. If that assumption is false, then I'm Chaotic Evil. :smallconfused:

I liked this answer, Emanick. It's going in my wall of signatures.

ref
2007-11-11, 04:44 PM
Hmm.. well I'm LG.. but only one step above LN, with L all the way on the left, so I'm probably LN anyways.

Sounds like my beloved Miko.

NeonRonin
2007-11-11, 04:59 PM
Well, I took this test without reading the note about liking their actions, so I went off an opinion of how I might get along with them instead. I.E. is this a person I could talk with in a bar and get along with reasonably well?

Using that as my guide, I find myself to be Chaotic Good.

(Which is odd because among my friends and in social situations, I tend to be the most LG of anybody... which is probably why I can relate to Roy so well.)

By the way... why wasn't Durkon included in this test? Poor dwarf... everybody keeps overlooking him. :smalltongue:

Lord Zentei
2007-11-11, 05:05 PM
More "fine tuning" is needed. For example, you can approve of a character's actions, or you can refrain form approving, but still sympathize with their motives.

EDIT: added results...

1. :mitd: Neutral. He seems too guileless for his own good. The reason I don't go for outright disapproval are events in SoD. (No change).

2. :miko: Neutral. Disapproval of actions, but sympathy for motives, wrongheaded as their execution is: see my point above (No change).

3. :thog: Disapprove. He cannot claim the same lack of out and out malice as the MitD. (One step Up, One step Left).

4. :nale: Disapprove. (One step Up).

5. :redcloak: Neutral. His desire is freedom and justice for the goblin people. His methods are not commendable. So, disapproval with sympathy as in the case of Miko (No change).

6. :haley: Though a cheat and a thief, she's doing it not for herself, but to save her father's life. So: approval. (One step Up, One step Right).

7. :elan: Approve. Though he does get his friends into trouble with his silliness, his heart's in the right place. (One step Up).

8. :xykon: Errr... no. Just no. Especially with SoD. Acknowledging a good villain in an entertainment sense and approval of actions are two very very different things. (Two steps Up, One step Left).

9. :sabine: Disapprove. See above. (Two steps Up).

10. :belkar: Disapprove. See above, only for an anti-hero rather than a villain. (Two steps Up, Two steps Left).

11. :vaarsuvius: Mostly Approve. (One step towards neutral on the Good/Evil axis).

12. :roy: Approve. Though he has his foibles, they are greatly overshadowed by his general character. (Like= Two steps Left, One step Up).

TOTAL: 10 steps up, 5 steps left. Bytopia.

Klaz Eidron
2007-11-11, 06:09 PM
I got the centermost upper Neutral Good... I thought I was more of a Chaotic Good guy, but I suppose I have some orderly thoughts.

Heroic
2007-11-11, 06:36 PM
My result:

This goes by a slightly modified Standard Alignment Graph-

It seems it reflected a lot on my true life personality... quite lawful but good... more lawful than good, for following the rules; making 70% of good choices, 25% of Neutral choices and 5% of evil choices.:smalltongue:

Kish
2007-11-11, 06:54 PM
1. Neutral. No change.

2. I think she had potential, but the way she wound up...Disapprove. One step right.

3. Disapprove. He doesn't grasp what he's doing, but the only potential he has involves his intelligence being greatly increased magically--and him caring when he does realize he's hurting people as real as himself. One step up, one step left.

4. Disapprove completely. One step up.

5. Pity, and disapprove. Two steps up, one step right.

6. She's been a greedy thief since before we met her. That she wants to help her father now hasn't changed her underlying nature. On the other hand, she's not evil. Neutral.

7. Incapable of malice, probably the most Good character in the entire strip, but I can't bring myself to approve of anyone so dangerous and stupid and dangerously stupid. Neutral.

8. Hahaha. Disapprove. Two up, one left.

9. Disapprove. Two up.

10. Disapprove. Two up, two left.

11. I'll say neutral. S/he can sometimes be very callous and arrogant.

12. Approve overall. He's a jackass, but I approve of what he does, if not what he says. Two steps Left, One step Up.

Antamar
2007-11-11, 07:24 PM
1. Based on SoD, Neutral. (No change)

2. Disapprove, she was so afraid to admit she was wrong that she executed her liege. (One step right)

3. Disapprove, despite his low intelligence, he still knew what he was doing was wrong. (One step up, One step Left)

4. Disapprove, tried to kill his brother for simply not abandoning Roy. (One step up)

5. Neutral, from SoD and his recent revelation during the battle for AC, he cares about the Goblinoids and wants to better there lives, but his methods I don't like. (No change)

6. Approve, although she is greedy and deceitful, she's doing it to free her father from the dungeons of Tyranar. (One step up, one step right)

7. Approve, even though he's silly, dumb, and was ultimately useless up until recently, his heart is in the right place and he means well. (One step up)

8. Disapprove, especially after reading SoD, absolutely no justification for his actions. (Two steps up, One step left)

9. Disapprove, no justification at all for her actions. (Two steps up)

10. Disapprove, see above. (Two steps up, Two steps left)

11. Because of Comic 504, Approve, although before he was simply out for his own gain, he really cares for Haley, and is wracked with guilt for his actions. (One step towards Neutral on the good/evil scale)

12. Approve, working to fulfill his father's BOoV, despite his father being a sarcastic d-bag. (Two steps left, One step up)

Total: 10 steps up, 4 steps left.

As far as criticism goes, add Durkon, switch Roy's steps around (Two steps up, One step left) and give Roy's current steps (Two left, One up) to Durkon. Also, because of comic 504, I'd change V to one step up.

Szilard
2007-11-11, 08:24 PM
I ended up off the chart.

Kish
2007-11-11, 09:33 PM
As far as criticism goes, add Durkon, switch Roy's steps around (Two steps up, One step left) and give Roy's current steps (Two left, One up) to Durkon. Also, because of comic 504, I'd change V to one step up.
I agree about Durkon and Roy, but I'd suggest just taking Vaarsuvius off entirely. His/her alignment is as ambiguous as his/her gender.

Lira
2007-11-11, 09:39 PM
Interesting... I'm True Neutral.

Dunamin
2007-11-12, 03:44 AM
As mentioned a number of times previously, the test is fundamentally flawed.

The whole idea of going reverse on the grid makes no sense:
A CG character does not become less Chaotic by hating/disliking/disapproving of the actions of a CE character. (Example: Haley disapproves of Xykon, she is not more Lawful for doing so)
A LE character does not become less Lawful by hating/disliking/disapproving of the actions of a LG character. (Example: Nale disapproves of Roy, he is not more Chaotic for doing so)
Hell: An Evil character does not become less Evil by hating/disliking/disapproving of the actions of another Evil character. (Example: Yikyik disapproves of Belkar, he is not more Good for doing so)

Bottom line:
Your alignment is not affected by disapproving of the actions of others, regardless of whether the distance in alignment is far (Hinjo disapproves of Xykon) or close (Hinjo disapproves of Miko).

Also, you are basing your test on certain assumptions about the characters’ alignment. You claim:
1. :mitd: is CN.
2. :miko: is LN.
3. :thog: is CE.
4. :nale: is NE
5. :redcloak: is LE, double up on Evil.
6. :haley: is CG.
7. :elan: is NG.
8. :xykon: is CE, double up on Evil.
9. :sabine: is NE, double up on Evil.
10. :belkar: is CE, double up on both Evil and Chaos.
11. :vaarsuvius: is Neutral in relation to the Good-Evil axis.
12. :roy: is LG, double up on Law.

Some of these are up for discussion, but others are decisively off:
:nale: is most certainly LE, not NE.
:elan: is most certainly CG, not NG.
:roy: is not more Lawful than he is Good. The deva noted that there was no doubt about the Good part of his alignment, yet was less than certain about the Lawful part (“Lawful in intent, Chaotic in execution”). If anything, you should have put One step Left, Two steps Up or just One step Left, One step Up. As it is now, you make it seem as if Roy is more Lawful than Miko.

Avardion
2007-11-12, 10:41 AM
Woot! Extreme LG!

By the way, I disagree with Dunamin. If we were liking or disliking individuals, then this test would be flawed; approving and disapproving of their actions is something different altogether.

However, I would suggest breaking out the test: have an approve/disapprove for motivations and an approve/disapprove for execution. That way, you could separate the good/evil axis (motivations) from the law/order axis (execution).

Setra
2007-11-12, 10:46 AM
:elan: is most certainly CG, not NG.
Sometimes Elan feels NG... then I remember Samantha.

Dunamin
2007-11-12, 11:08 AM
By the way, I disagree with Dunamin. If we were liking or disliking individuals, then this test would be flawed; approving and disapproving of their actions is something different altogether.
By that account, two similarly aligned characters could not disapprove of each others' actions without distancing themselves from their shared alignment. If two rival CE demons took the test individually and disapproved of the actions of the opponent, the test would indicate them to be more Good and Lawful at that step.

That's not the case, however. Within one alignment, characters can certainly disagree with each and their respective actions without change to alignment. There is room for multiple facets and differences in the system, a point which Rich depicted well with the whole Azure City story part.

Avardion
2007-11-12, 11:15 AM
By that account, two similarly aligned characters could not disapprove of each others' actions without distancing themselves from their shared alignment. If two rival CE demons took the test individually and disapproved of the actions of the opponent, the test would indicate them to be more Good and Lawful at that step.

That's not the case, however. Within one alignment, characters can certainly disagree with each and their respective actions without change to alignment. There is room for multiple facets and differences in the system, a point which Rich depicted well with the whole Azure City story part.

That happens to be why I suggested differentiating the Motivation/Execution parts of their actions - it seems to me that these would give better results and eliminate the problem that you suggest might exist.

Iranon
2007-11-12, 03:32 PM
So with the new key, I'd be..

1. :mitd: Disapprove. Even beyond its intellectual deficiencies, it is lazy, slovenly and irresponsible.
2. :miko: Approve. She did what she believes in, and not averse to go all the way in the execution ofher duties. Shame she didn't have better people skills... I never found her as oppressive as others apparently did.
3. :thog: Neutral. Enjoys random violence, tortures people with Celine Dion Albums but a loyal and devoted friend who just wants a hug for the most time.
4. :nale: Disapprove. Bonus points for style, but having the desire to be a shallow villain?
5. :redcloak: Approve, for pretty much the same reason as Miko.
6. :haley: Disapprove, for not getting over herself and occasionally being needlessly spiteful despite projecting a bouncy bubbly image.
7. :elan: Neutral. He means well, but his general incompetence stems from more than lack of ability.
8. :xykon: Neutral. Utterly ruthless, but doesn't claim otherwise. Could very well be disapprove if I knew more his background.
9. :sabine: Mildly approve. She seems pleasant enough for the most part... unless that's simply the 30-ish charisma doing its work.
10. :belkar: Neutral. As he said himself, a simple man with simple tastes. It looks as if he needs to be kept in check in order not to commit atrocities left, right and centre... but he purposely lets himself be kept in check.
11. :vaarsuvius: Approve. Open-minded, forthright and at ease with their less-than-nice side without being actively callous.
12. :roy: Disapprove. Letting himself be pushed around when in an inferior position, gleefully abusive when not... no respect for that.

Grand total of 4 steps down, 2 to the left: Slightly Lawful Very Evil. Hmm, feels even more off since I can't cheat with V any more... I do not consider myself Lawful.
Not sure about the Evil bit (I do seem to have less inhibitions and a somewhat harsher moral code than most, but I'm opposed to gratuitious viciousness.), but I'd definitely not peg myself as Lawful. All ideals I believe strongly in can be classified as Chaotic.

Actually, I think the way those were implemented is good despite not matching their own alignment:

While Nale and Elan are Lawful/Chaotic respectively, whether you approve of their actions would depend almost exclusively on the Good/Evil axis. Disapproving of Nale should is no evidence at all of chaotic tendencies... his distinguishing feature is that he's trying to be a stereotypical villain.
Likewise, a sufficiently good person is likely to approve of Elan even if they find his chaotic tendencies/incompetence frustrating.

Roy might be more Good than Lawful deep down, but his demeanor doesn't reflect that. Many chaotics will dislike his pushy jerkiness, while Lawful people of all sort could empathise with his frustration with irresponsible, more free-wheeling people.

Firestar27
2007-11-12, 08:09 PM
Odd, I got the middle of Lawful and 9 above the chart for good. I always thought I was LN, but as either of the reds.