PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bhaalspawn Sorcerous Origin

J-H
2021-04-21, 12:57 PM
I'm planning to run a Baldur's Gate II adaptation after my current game ends in a year or two.
There will be some limitations around classes, patrons, etc., as well as a few other changes to Concentration and a reduction in HP gains at higher levels. The taint of the Lord of Murder overshadows any other heritage that might manifest as a Sorcerous Origin.

This is intended to be roughly balanced with the other Origins, and thoroughly in-theme with magic used to murder, assassinate, and kill.

Extra Spells Known
1 Hunter's Mark, Inflict Wounds strong consideration: Disguise Self in place of Hunter's Mark
2 Invisibility, See Invisibility strong consideration: Hold Person instead of See Invisibility
3 Nondetection, Spirit Shroud
4 Locate Creature, Phantasmal Killer
5 Dominate Person, Mislead

Level 1: Murderous Healing
When you end the life of a living creature with a spell, you regain hit points equal to your Proficiency Bonus + the level of the spell used.

Level 1: Deadly Blows
You score a critical hit on when you roll a 19 or 20 with an attack roll.

Level 1: Resist the Grave
You gain resistance to necrotic damage.

Level 6: Sorcerous assassination
Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll, or when you cast a single-target spell at a creature that is not able to perceive your location and presence, the spell does 2d6 extra damage. If it does not deal damage, the target instead has -1d4 to its saving throw against the effects of the spell.
This is too wordy and too variable. I'm trying to make a magical sneak attack.

Level 14: Perfect Getaway
Whenever you slay a living creature, you gain the benefit of the Sanctuary spell until the end of your next turn. You may gain this benefit a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus per long rest.
Level 14 is usually a mobility feature for Sorcerers. The ability to walk away nearly unhindered is not as powerful, but potentially more lifesaving

Level 18: With a Word
You may cast Power Word: Kill once per day without expending a spell slot.
It's a bit on the high powered side, but PWK is also not usually considered very strong. I'd rather give someone PWK than Finger of Death or Circle of Death.

JNAProductions
2021-04-22, 05:26 PM
Murderous Healing
Fails the bag of rats test.

Deadly Blows
Better than a Champion 3 dip for Barbarians now, but unlikely to be an issue in a single-classed Sorcerer.

Resist The Grave
Fine.

Sorcerous Assassination
I'd make it only -1d4 to the FIRST save. Not a recurring thing.

Perfect Getaway
Interesting. I like it.

With A Word
Feels okay. It's an extra 9th level spell... But it's a bad one. :P

J-H
2021-04-22, 09:20 PM
Bag of Rats test... I like it! Does gating it to creatures of Intelligence 4 and above fix that issue?
(it's not murder if it's an animal)

First save only - yes.

JNAProductions
2021-04-22, 09:26 PM
Bag of Rats test... I like it! Does gating it to creatures of Intelligence 4 and above fix that issue?
(it's not murder if it's an animal)

First save only - yes.

Is there anything wrong with making it THP?

Sacrificing a rat for some bonus feels fine to me, but being able to heal to full does not.

J-H
2021-04-22, 10:08 PM
There are fewer healing options available to sorcerers and warlocks than there are temporary HP options. For a child of the lord of murder, it's OK to give something a bit nicer.

Ilerien
2021-04-23, 05:46 AM
There are fewer healing options available to sorcerers and warlocks than there are temporary HP options. For a child of the lord of murder, it's OK to give something a bit nicer.Then you should restrict it to CR 1+ creatures or limit its uses per rest. I advise to do both. :smallsmile:
Level 1: Deadly Blows
You score a critical hit on when you roll a 19 or 20 with an attack roll.Great dip fodder for hexblades. Powerful on a single-class sorcerer using spells that require attack rolls too, especially if a sorcerer in question happens to be an elf with certain racial feat...
Level 6: Sorcerous assassination
Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll, or when you cast a single-target spell at a creature that is not able to perceive your location and presence, the spell does 2d6 extra damage. If it does not deal damage, the target instead has -1d4 to its saving throw against the effects of the spell.I miss sneak attack rules for spells from 3.5e. It had even a prestige class based around sneak attacking with spells able to transform AoE spells into single-target rays.
You should probable remove the clause about unseen spellcaster: generally, an unseen attacker has advantage anyway, and if they don't, it means something is hampering their accuracy at the same time. In case of spells not requiring attack rolls, I'd include an option to add it to give the target disadvantage on their save if it hits.
Also, does a spell have to be incapable of targeting more than one creature (like Twin Spell prerequisite) to be eligible? Or one can cast scorching ray, aim all rays at the same creature and call it a day?
Level 14: Perfect Getaway
Whenever you slay a living creature, you gain the benefit of the Sanctuary spell until the end of your next turn. You may gain this benefit a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus per long rest.I have a strong feeling it should be a direct upgrade of Murderous Healing.
Level 18: With a Word
You may cast Power Word: Kill once per day without expending a spell slot.A fine capstone. Not very strong, but surely thematic and might come in handy.

Overall it's a strong subclass. With Hunter's Mark or Spirit Shroud up it would dish out tons of damage with spells requiring multiple attack rolls. And has nice defensive features to risk waltzing into close combat to make use of that Spirit Shroud. Alternatively, take Magic Initiate to get Eldritch Blast, cast Greater Invisibility and deal d10+2d6 damage per ray with frequent crits.

J-H
2021-04-23, 07:22 AM
Your review says "it's good at killing things and wants to get up close and personal to kill things." That's about right for a sorcerer with that power source :)

Does Hunter's Mark stack with each hit (so 3 HMs from Scorching Ray)?

I miss sneak attack rules for spells from 3.5e. It had even a prestige class based around sneak attacking with spells able to transform AoE spells into single-target rays.
You should probable remove the clause about unseen spellcaster: generally, an unseen attacker has advantage anyway, and if they don't, it means something is hampering their accuracy at the same time. In case of spells not requiring attack rolls, I'd include an option to add it to give the target disadvantage on their save if it hits.
Also, does a spell have to be incapable of targeting more than one creature (like Twin Spell prerequisite) to be eligible? Or one can cast scorching ray, aim all rays at the same creature and call it a day?
I didn't want to pigeonhole it entirely into "attack roll spells only" or "damage spells only" with this feature.

Ilerien
2021-04-24, 06:07 PM
Your review says "it's good at killing things and wants to get up close and personal to kill things." That's about right for a sorcerer with that power source :)No arguing here! :D

Does Hunter's Mark stack with each hit (so 3 HMs from Scorching Ray)?My bad with Hunter's Mark - it works for weapon attacks only. So, you know, it would stack if it only worked on spell attacks.
Maybe ditch it altogether then? :) Disguise Self sounds fine.
I didn't want to pigeonhole it entirely into "attack roll spells only" or "damage spells only" with this feature.Sure! My concern was mostly about how broadly applicable is this feature, but then I've looked at bonus spells, which are mostly utility. This sorcerer still would be constrained by the number of spells they can choose. Hence it's pretty unlikely to become a swiss army knife of blasting and control.