PDA

View Full Version : Is rolling initiative part of any specific round?

Cikomyr2
2021-04-21, 04:27 PM
So I will play a Monk 9/Cleric of Peace 1 for a 1-shot on Friday.

I was wondering about the Emboldening Bond ability to add 1d4/round. Would that count Initiative? And if so, what round does the initiative is rolled in?

Keravath
2021-04-21, 04:30 PM
If you have emboldening bond in place before the combat starts (since it lasts 10 minutes/use) then everyone affected would add 1d4 to their initiative ability check. Initiatives are rolled just before ordered resolution of player actions starts whether this is due to combat or whatever over situation that the DM wants to resolve in an ordered fashion.

If emboldening bond has not been used before initiative is rolled then it can not apply to the initiative rolls since you need to use an action to enable it and when resolving an encounter in initiative order this doesn't happen until your initiative comes around :) ... which is obviously after everyone rolled initiative.

Cikomyr2
2021-04-21, 04:36 PM
If you have emboldening bond in place before the combat starts (since it lasts 10 minutes/use) then everyone affected would add 1d4 to their initiative ability check. Initiatives are rolled just before ordered resolution of player actions starts whether this is due to combat or whatever over situation that the DM wants to resolve in an ordered fashion.

If emboldening bond has not been used before initiative is rolled then it can not apply to the initiative rolls since you need to use an action to enable it and when resolving an encounter in initiative order this doesn't happen until your initiative comes around :) ... which is obviously after everyone rolled initiative.

Yhea, but it last 10 minutes and I have 4 of them per long rest.

Were going Dragon Hunting, so I suspect we'll be expecting danger.

EggKookoo
2021-04-21, 05:01 PM
I would say initiative happens outside of the round structure. Otherwise you need a roll to see who gets to roll initiative first and that way lies madness!

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-21, 05:05 PM
If you want to go full madlad, play a Peace Cleric who's entire strategy is to leverage ambushes for maximum Initiative efficiency.

I call it "Proactive Peacekeeping".

Cikomyr2
2021-04-21, 05:27 PM
If you want to go full madlad, play a Peace Cleric who's entire strategy is to leverage ambushes for maximum Initiative efficiency.

I call it "Proactive Peacekeeping".

Well we are hunting a dragon during a historic period named "The Draconic Wars".

So yhea, I am definetly making the world a more peaceful place.