PDA

View Full Version : Extraplanar properties when changing spheres

Smegskull
2021-04-22, 07:11 PM
what happens to outsiders and extraplanar subtype creatures when spelljamming to a different sphere?
if the new sphere doesn't have the plane you are native to do you even exist? when you get knocked out and would normally return to your native plane where do you go? where does a paladins mount go when dismissed? etc, etc?

Crake
2021-04-23, 02:48 AM
I could be wrong, but iirc, spelljamming is simply traveling through different material planes, right? And the only thing stopping you from planeshifting to your old plane would be if the overdeity of your particular sphere was preventing it? In which case, I suppose you would just not be banishable. You would still remain extraplanar, but I think the answers to your questions would be largely sphere-specific, and thusly would come down to "ask your DM"

Tzardok
2021-04-23, 02:59 AM
what happens to outsiders and extraplanar subtype creatures when spelljamming to a different sphere?
if the new sphere doesn't have the plane you are native to do you even exist? when you get knocked out and would normally return to your native plane where do you go? where does a paladins mount go when dismissed? etc, etc?

Nothing of that is a problem. In Spelljammer, you are travelling between spheres on the same Material Plane. You never leave the cosmology. Spelljammer as a whole uses the Great Wheel. The only exception are spheres with local planar anomalies, like Athas of Dark Sun, and those are difficult to enter per Spelljammer anyway. The greatest question is what happens in the phlogiston, as that one explicitely blocks planar travel. In those cases I would assume that you can't dismiss extraplanar creatures (or, you can, but it doesn't do anything until the creature enters wildspace again).

Crake
2021-04-23, 03:14 AM
In those cases I would assume that you can't dismiss extraplanar creatures (or, you can, but it doesn't do anything until the creature enters wildspace again).

I imagine it probably acts something like the astral, where all creatures are considered native?

Tzardok
2021-04-23, 03:48 AM
I imagine it probably acts something like the astral, where all creatures are considered native?

The "Everything is a native" property of the Astral doesn't keep summoned creatures from disappearing when the effect ends or is dismissed by the summoner, does it? IMO, the phlogiston would be the exact other way round: things that aren't native to the Material are still extraplanar, but they can't disappear. There is no way out (and no way in) besides going through a sphere.

Crake
2021-04-23, 04:21 AM
The "Everything is a native" property of the Astral doesn't keep summoned creatures from disappearing when the effect ends or is dismissed by the summoner, does it? IMO, the phlogiston would be the exact other way round: things that aren't native to the Material are still extraplanar, but they can't disappear. There is no way out (and no way in) besides going through a sphere.

I mean, I would have absolutely 0 clue, I'm just making educated guesses here, I know nothing about spelljammer(ing?)

Smegskull
2021-04-26, 02:01 AM
I thought the planes where locally sphere locked? Else you would only need to plane shift twice to travel to another sphere. Clerics are supposed to lose access to their god in another sphere for example. And though there are many functionally identical planes they are often differently named and differently inhabited.

Tzardok
2021-04-26, 02:43 AM
I thought the planes where locally sphere locked? Else you would only need to plane shift twice to travel to another sphere. Clerics are supposed to lose access to their god in another sphere for example. And though there are many functionally identical planes they are often differently named and differently inhabited.

You can use Planeshift to go from sphere to sphere in the way you described. Theoretically you can even teleport from sphere to sphere, as teleportation is a detour over the Astral. Practically the phlogiston interferes with aiming, making things like that difficult. The reason that spelljammers are the prefered method of travel is a) easier to transport cargo, and b) less dependant on high level spellcasters.

Regarding the gods, I'll have to look the whole "change your god" up, but I'm pretty sure that is one of those old 2e things that make everything more difficult, like clerics in Planescape being unable to cast spells if their god is more than two planes away. It also has the same justification: just like, for example, Kord can't reach beyond Arborea, Limbo and the Outlands, he's also powerless in spheres where he isn't worshipped, like Realmspace.

In 2e it was self-evident that all spheres are in the same Great Wheel. Why else would the description of Ysgard hold the divine realms of Greyhawkian Kord, Norse Odin, Faerūnian Selūne and Hindu Soma (the last two even share a realm)?
3e tried to keep the settings seperated (part of the reason why there is no official Spelljammer stuff, and also the reason why the Great Tree cosmology was invented), but they were inconsistent about it and some books still treat the Great Wheel as one whole setting. Just look into the appendix of Fiendish Codex 1, under Layers by Ruler. In that list stand Chinese, Faerūnian, Hindu and Dragonlance gods amongst others.

So we have two options: either there is only one Great Wheel with one Material Plane full of spheres, the way 2e Spelljammer and Planescape always claimed it to be, or each sphere has exact duplicates of all planes, including all those gods, many of which aren't even worshipped there.
Yeah, I know what I think more likely.

Smegskull
2021-04-26, 07:52 AM
A cleric can creat a ring/rod/whatever of plane shifting with a level 5 spell so CL 10*2000*5*4*0.6 so 240,000. How much is a spell jammer? Remembering that they take weeks to travel the flow lines and that plane shift item can be used every 6 seconds with a skill check.
I can't imagine spelljammers being remotely competitive in the market that way.

Tzardok
2021-04-26, 08:23 AM
A cleric can creat a ring/rod/whatever of plane shifting with a level 5 spell so CL 10*2000*5*4*0.6 so 240,000. How much is a spell jammer? Remembering that they take weeks to travel the flow lines and that plane shift item can be used every 6 seconds with a skill check.
I can't imagine spelljammers being remotely competitive in the market that way.

Spelljammers have the benefit of, y'know, moving cargo. Planeshift only allows you to move what you can carry with you. Furthermore, Planeshift is difficult to aim. Spelljammers don't have that.

Furthermore, don't you think clerics have better things to do with their time than planeshifting people around or making items to do that? Your ring of planeshift would take 240 days to make. There's a spelljamming race that sells spelljammer helms for 100,000 gold to anybody who can afford them that can be easily installed into an boat. And they can make one every five days. Combine that with the fact that gods usually prefer to keep their clerics where they need them (their home world), so they generally don't allow them to just gallivant off with a planeshift, and well...

Anyway, this all neglects that spelljammers are primarily arcane vessels, they're rarely of independent design, and their predominant early use by most adopters is local travel - i.e. no phlogiston. It also leaves out that most people have limited familiarity with the Planes and planar mechanics and space is right up there overhead and you can go there in a boat.