PDA

View Full Version : monster suggestion

Skrum
2021-04-22, 09:16 PM
I need a monster for an upcoming game I'm planning. I essentially want it to be less tough than it looks, but not a complete pushover and hopefully somewhat interesting - importantly, the party is going to be fighting it several times in quick succession.

Party size 3, ~level 4. I can reskin whatever from where-ever, I'm just looking for some numbers for a kind of beefy goon to feel threatening for a few rounds.

Alternatively, maybe an ability to add to something like an orge or minotaur - anything to make it not just a DPS-check.

Jon talks a lot
2021-04-22, 09:18 PM
I need a monster for an upcoming game I'm planning. I essentially want it to be less tough than it looks, but not a complete pushover and hopefully somewhat interesting - importantly, the party is going to be fighting it several times in quick succession.

Party size 3, ~level 4. I can reskin whatever from where-ever, I'm just looking for some numbers for a kind of beefy goon to feel threatening for a few rounds.

Alternatively, maybe an ability to add to something like an orge or minotaur - anything to make it not just a DPS-check.

Do they use tactics? Tarrasque

Can they fly away/kite? Tarrasque

Do they use range? Tarrasque

Skrum
2021-04-22, 09:24 PM
Do they use tactics? Tarrasque

Can they fly away/kite? Tarrasque

Do they use range? Tarrasque

Lol I said moderate resistance, not smoosh them into paste

Jon talks a lot
2021-04-22, 09:27 PM
Lol I said moderate resistance, not smoosh them into paste

That was blue text, but honestly, any combination of those three strategies is able to take down a Tarrasque. It, however, would not be a fun fight.

Skrum
2021-04-22, 09:49 PM
That was blue text, but honestly, any combination of those three strategies is able to take down a Tarrasque. It, however, would not be a fun fight.

This might derail the thread but it's my thread so I feel like I'm allowed - realistically, what level does a party have to be to successfully kite and kill a Tarrasque? And not just handing crazy items to lower level characters; their resources are approximately what a character of their level would have. Just glancing at the stat block, it seems to me most parties would be utterly incapable of hurting it, even if they could stay away.

Imbalance
2021-04-22, 09:58 PM
How about an ettin? Damage sponge, no counter to range, but hits like you'd expect up close, and if it gets too tough on a party of three just have the heads get into an argument with each other about which one to eat first.

quindraco
2021-04-22, 10:16 PM
This might derail the thread but it's my thread so I feel like I'm allowed - realistically, what level does a party have to be to successfully kite and kill a Tarrasque? And not just handing crazy items to lower level characters; their resources are approximately what a character of their level would have. Just glancing at the stat block, it seems to me most parties would be utterly incapable of hurting it, even if they could stay away.

1. You can take out a Tarrasque with a level 1 party. Each member will need way more than 10 minutes of flight time to realistically succeed (unless the party is quite large), so I recommend sticking to aarakocra and winged tieflings - races with inferior flight, like protector aasimar, won't be able to sustain it for long enough.

By way of an example, 1 winged tiefling with Mind Sliver can solo a Tarrasque after breakfast and be back in time for tea.

Back in 3.5, the Tarrasque could regenerate better than a troll could, but nowadays, you can nickel and dime one to death.

MaxWilson
2021-04-22, 10:29 PM

I say Githyanki Warrior in an area with lots of verticality like multi-level buildings with rope bridges between them (like Endor). They have a lot of fun abilities that you can leverage to make the fight more complex. Misty Step to move-strike-teleport away or get out of grapples/spells, or Jump to jump over rooftop gaps or over total cover, or Mage Hand to turn out lights or close doors. The first time players fight one they will make mistakes, but by the third or fourth they will know what to do.

MrStabby
2021-04-23, 04:03 AM
So if you want to add to something like a minotaur, then a psionic blast type ability (once per short rest) might be good. Int save or be stunned and you take some psychic damage. Maybe tone down the mind flayer one.

This makes the minotaur look like a very tough enemy in the opening rounds when it is used but the party should be able to turn around the fight.

Importantly, the party can learn tactics from the initial encounter on where to stand, to hold back on some concentration spells etc. to make the series of encounters more interactive.

Unoriginal
2021-04-23, 04:14 AM

Do you mean fighting the *same* NPC several times, or just the same kind of monster?

If it's the latter I suggest the Grell. Grells are freaky looking and can surprise PCs, while still being well-manageable for a group like yours.

Randomthom
2021-04-23, 06:12 AM

Incorporeal undead are good for this since they can make a few attacks then exit stage left through a wall. You can even have them attack up through a floor for that classic horror moment of hand-grabs ankle.

Allip (CR 5)
Wraith (CR 5)
You can always beef up their HP if you're worried they'll be defeated in 1 round or give them some vampire-mist-esque ability that allows them to slip away. Perhaps it can only be truly defeated after being splashed by holy water or after taking radiant damage or on consecrated ground.

Unoriginal
2021-04-23, 07:07 AM
Incorporeal undead are good for this since they can make a few attacks then exit stage left through a wall. You can even have them attack up through a floor for that classic horror moment of hand-grabs ankle.

Allip (CR 5)
Wraith (CR 5)
You can always beef up their HP if you're worried they'll be defeated in 1 round or give them some vampire-mist-esque ability that allows them to slip away. Perhaps it can only be truly defeated after being splashed by holy water or after taking radiant damage or on consecrated ground.

While that could be an awesome fight, I fear an Allip could TPK OP's group. Not really the "less tough than they look" encounter OP wants.

J-H
2021-04-23, 07:20 AM
A solo monster for a party should be higher CR than the party's level by several...but not too high, so we're looking for something in the CR 4-6 range, or maybe 7 tops. Something with an insta-kill or petrification ability is out.

CR 4
Incubus/Succubus
Lamia (who uses these?)
Wereboar/Weretiger

CR 5
Bulette (it can tunnel away!)
Elementals
Hill giant
Salamander
Troll
Umber hulk!
Werebear

CR 6
Chimera (3 heads and a breath weapon and flight)
Drider (mobility)
Vrock (has flight!)

CR 7
Mind Flayer (your players will be scared of this)
Oni (beware the cone of cold)
Yuan-ti abomination

Jon talks a lot
2021-04-23, 07:23 AM
7-8 Deep gnomes could be fun.

Owlbears are always cool.

Peryton are underrated.

2 Quaggoth's is unexpected.

Red Slaad is just a little bit above their weight class, but it might be fun.

Yuan-ti Malison or two.

Ogre Zombies are scary if that's what you are going for.

kazaryu
2021-04-23, 08:05 AM

i mean....have you looked at meenlocks?

fear aura and a potential paralyze on hit (both with low DC's) its got a 15 ac which is decently tanky for a low level party. and it has a BA teleport. notably, the fear aura doesn't have the 'once they pass the save they're immune for 24 hours' clause that some do. its a cr2 monster so you may need to add a few HP to it, or drop a pair of them. either way...i feel like more people need to use meenlocks. (i mostly because i like their lore. but in this case their mechanics are actually more than just a DPS check. especially since they like darkness. oh, and they have telepathy! so thats even more fun for taunting and the like.

Unoriginal
2021-04-23, 09:53 AM
i mean....have you looked at meenlocks?

fear aura and a potential paralyze on hit (both with low DC's) its got a 15 ac which is decently tanky for a low level party. and it has a BA teleport. notably, the fear aura doesn't have the 'once they pass the save they're immune for 24 hours' clause that some do. its a cr2 monster so you may need to add a few HP to it, or drop a pair of them. either way...i feel like more people need to use meenlocks. (i mostly because i like their lore. but in this case their mechanics are actually more than just a DPS check. especially since they like darkness. oh, and they have telepathy! so thats even more fun for taunting and the like.

Oh, great suggestion. Meenlocks are nasty yet mostly unknown gems of mean.

arnin77
2021-04-23, 08:31 PM
Oh, great suggestion. Meenlocks are nasty yet mostly unknown gems of mean.

Not sure if this is the same thing but a Deathlock is CR 4 and I believe it’s an undead Warlock that broke its pact. I just discovered this and thought it was interesting.

kazaryu
2021-04-23, 10:00 PM
Not sure if this is the same thing but a Deathlock is CR 4 and I believe it’s an undead Warlock that broke its pact. I just discovered this and thought it was interesting.

Definitely no where cloae to the same thing lol. Meenlocks are an evil fey creature. Iirc, they can be summoned (accidentilly) by intense fear. They procreate by kidnapping children, and torturing them with nightmares until the child themself becomes one.

Some of those details may have been things i thought up when i first read/was inspired by them...but i think its mostly accurate, no time to check atm

Segev
2021-04-24, 12:43 AM
I'm a bit confused, perhaps because I'm not appreciating what "not as tough as it looks" means, but if you want it fought multiple times, shouldn't it be tough enough to survive a couple rounds of combat? I'd be more worried about any monster I wanted to escape to fight again being tough enough.

What's the overall scenario that makes them need to fight it several times in quick succession? What causes the monster to be there in the first place? I ask because setting monsters up for fitting the scenario is also important, I feel, to having an engaging encounter.

Houster
2021-04-24, 05:59 AM

Succubus as stated here is perfect. Etherealness is great for escaping.
Also, barghest. Many spells it can use to escape, tough, and can shapeshift to cause more confusion.

Segev
2021-04-24, 08:04 AM
Mirror-Maze Minotaur: as the minotaur, but can cast mislead as a Recharge 6 ability. If you can give it a lair that is a hall of mirrors maze, it also gets a lair action to pick a creature reflected in a mirror in its maze, and cast disguise self to appear as that creature. The minotaur's reflection still reveals the truth, but the creature's reflection also becomes that of the minotaur.

Finally, the mirror-maze minotaur can cast misty step at will, using mirrors to help generate line of sight.