PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Vagabonds of Zhul [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

roryb
2021-04-23, 01:11 PM
This is the out-of-character thread for Vagabonds of Zhul, a Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells play by post.

Players:

Lord_Mikken, playing Ryken (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25017483&postcount=2)
ProudGrognard, playing Epikelsos (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25018081&postcount=3)
roryb, acting GM

OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?630404-OOC-Vagabonds-of-Zhul-Sharp-Swords-amp-Sinister-Spells&p=25018691)
Recruitment Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?630259-Sharp-Swords-amp-Sinister-Spells-Hijinks-for-Two)

roryb
2021-04-23, 01:14 PM
1. LAIR of the TWISTED ELDER

Zhul was an expansive metropolis on the Blood Coast. It needed no walls. The guild lords bought its rivals and would-be enemies. All were in some way connected to the illicit trade that flowed to and from. The endless slums spread far and wide from the city proper. Should any invasion assail her province, these outlying areas would serve as her shield. War had not ravaged Zhul in centuries.

On the other hand, danger was omnipresent. A powerful thieves’ guild, the flesh stocks, the poppy guild, and the even more fearsome assassin’s brotherhood kept a tenuous but highly engineered balance of the many forces of chaos. It was said no man was truly free in Zhul. The mysterious veiled guild lords held debate in shadowy sequestered court to dictate the affairs of the city and the fate of her people for their own profit, though none knew their faces nor names. Murder and plague were constant companions, but no thing held stronger currency than the most lacking commodity: alliance.

Two shapes fled this scene — their erstwhile homes — the only they had ever known. North, beyond the Gray Heights was a stony highlands. Here, the steadings grew less frequent and more spread apart. Herders were known here, and through these outlands passed the Beggar’s Way, passing further to lands free and lush where honor and law still held sway. The black skies continued to release their torrent of bone-chilling rain as the two made toward the highlands. There were many miles yet to the open plateau. Little was shielded from the reach of water, even tomes wrapped thrice in skins and lovingly packed away were vulnerable.

Since their flight, a number of sinister riders plied the road in haste, stopping every once in a while to inquire at bolted door, or circling to pry into denser areas. How anyone might suspect the two for their deed, or know to seek their direction was mystifying. The two were lucky thus far. But as the slums began to recede, their want of cover and shelter grew more dire.

There stood a shoddy way house with a modicum of welcoming light. A sign dangling from a chain no longer displayed its once vibrant namesake. The nameless inn was shelter with few other options presenting itself.

A little atmosphere to get you going. You can do whatever you like…you can avoid the inn and seek shelter through your skills and ingenuity. You have a suspicion you’re being followed.

I’ll likely use orokos.com as my die roller, because I like to see my results to be able to narrate. Feel free to use whatever you like.

ProudGrognard
2021-04-24, 01:13 AM
Epikelsos, PAIW: 8/10/12/14, HP: 6, Luck: 1d6

Epikelsos once more looks back through his lowered hood. Wet drops find their way down his face as he turns anxious eyes around. He was more wet than tired and more concerned than wet.

"Ryk, our options grow short. This hardly looks a welcoming abode, but I don't think we will find another. I propose we circle around it to get a look and then seek shelter inside. But we should keep watch. If someone comes around looking for us, we ambush him, take anything of value and leave immediately.

That is what I suggest, anyhow."

Unconsciously, as he usually does, Epikelsos had folded his hands inside his sleeves and assumed the dry tone of the probably late Mandrakore. If Ryken agrees, he starts circling the way house.

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-24, 05:43 PM
Ryken- PAIW 8 10 12 14 HP-6 luck dice 1d6

Ryken glances around nervously, a slight grin graces his lips. He can’t help but smile, even while he checks down the road behind them. Scanning the sides of the road for any sign of someone hiding, waiting for a chance at them. Rain pouring through his thin cloak as he looks up from the road and replies.

”I know your right Epikel, let’s have a look around. I don’t like this feeling of being followed, they should think is dead in the blaze. I can’t help feel like someone found us out and informed the guilds... Well no sense guessing I suppose let’s make a round or two and then get something in our bellies!

His cheer fades a bit as he mentions the guilds but it quickly bounces back as makes his way around the building with Epikelsos.

roryb
2021-04-24, 06:04 PM
There was little in terms of outbuildings surrounding the lone structure. A detached stable was the most notable one. Sounds of a keeper moving feed to the loft with a fork in the gloom greeted their eager ears. Peering through the broken slats revealed the dull look of a lone nag in one of its few stalls. They were greeted by a low curious nicker and the familiar smells of manure.

A wood pile lined one side of the inn. The back was stacked with broken crates and refuse. At that moment, a door creaked open, and a bucket of rinse water was tossed carelessly into the back. The door slammed shut again without sign that the two skulkers had been noticed. A grimy window revealed a large hairy man working over a fire. A closed and padlocked cellar door lay next to the back door.

Around the side was a muddy open green strewn about with old rusted tools. Two rats scurried into a hole ain’t the buildings brickwork upon their approach. The only front facing window was too caked with filth to see inside other than the flicker of a hearth and the vague insinuation of a moving figure. On whole, the establishment was not large, perhaps enough to house the common room and kitchen on the main floor. An upper story likely housed the guest rooms. There were no lights within these. No horses were hitched to the front post.

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-24, 07:14 PM

Ryken takes stock of their options for a moment before speaking softly.

”Well I see two main choices, we could walk in the front door and give fake names. It seems there just the inn keep and maybe one other person here. Or we could hide in the cellar of the stables. I’m sure I could get us past that lock on the cellar door. What do you think Epikel?

His voice barely audible over the sound of the rain pouring around the two huddled figures.

ProudGrognard
2021-04-25, 01:22 AM

Seeing again the downpoor coming, Epikelsos gives a resigned shrug.

"Let's go inside and give false names. I suggest we also keep watch during the night for other people coming and looking for us, day or night. If someone comes, we deal with him, take his horse and move on."

If Ryken agrees, Epikelsos moves in and with a note of joviality calls

"Innkeeper? Anyone here?"

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-25, 02:01 AM

”I couldn’t agree more. Let’s get to it then”.

He follows behind Epikelsos as he enters a broad grin on his face. Surveying the room as he enters, taking stock of any occupants.

roryb
2021-04-25, 02:18 AM
There were few enough patrons. Stepping past the threshold, a narrow entryway contained a number of cloak hooks. Only one drab and weathered garment hung. The short entryway opened to a cramped common room with a low ceiling crossed by burned beams. A surly man leaned on the counter of the scarred bar top directly across from them, casting a less than friendly look. He appeared to be the innkeeper, but remained silent.

To their left, the room opened to a fireplace on the far side. Three round tables filled the cramped quarters. A gaunt fellow with a milky white left eye and lank gray-blonde hair stared as well. Swill dripped down his chin. He set the pewter mug down with an audible swallow and continued to stare unabated. The only other patron was an old man in a rocker next to the fire whose back was toward the newcomers. His rocking paused, but he did not turn his head. They could see his bald spotted scalp crowned by silver long hair cresting the top of his chair’s high backing.

There was a momentary exchange of cagey glances between the gaunt fellow and the man behind the bar. When the keeper at last spoke, the old man’s rocking resumed with a rhythmic creaking. “What’ya want?” the man said curtly in a gruff voice. It wasn’t immediately clear if it was an honest question or a challenge. He was bearded with thick dark brows in a way to accent his perpetual scowl. It was not a warm welcome, but the folk of Zhul and its surrounds were not known for their hospitality.

ProudGrognard
2021-04-25, 11:50 AM

His congeniality still in effect, Epikelsos approaches the bartender.

"A room for the night would be fine. Is there something to eat as well?"

He darts a look towards Ryken under lowered lids. It is a look they have shared many times.

These do not seem like trustworthy people. Stay alert.

roryb
2021-04-25, 12:20 PM
The keeper pulled a ring of heavy keys from his apron, selecting one. "Room one. Ten pieces of silver, an extra silver for goat stew," he said gruffly. He laid the key on the bartop with his finger still pinning the key down.

The price was outrageous for a hovel of the sort, but there were no others from which to choose. It was no wonder there were so few patrons at the nameless inn. The keeper awaited the response of Epikelsos.

That's enough to require a Resource roll (d4) to see if it depletes your reserves. You can attempt to negotiate using Willpower with a penalty of 4 (that's +4 to your roll) given his disposition. Success will negate having to make a Resource roll.

ProudGrognard
2021-04-25, 01:33 PM

Epikelsos tries to negotiate a bit. He used to be good at it.

"I am sure such a fine establishment can give us a better rate. We are merchants, my cousin and me, and we will be passing often. A better rate would make us regular customers. Our caravan will make you a nice profit. What do you say?"

[roll0]

roryb
2021-04-25, 03:55 PM
"Ten now, and ten again when you pass through," the innkeeper said unapologetically. His manner was off-putting, and his apparent understanding of the rules of negotiation was completely antithetical to good business. It was mystifying. A lack of bed and dry room for the night was not the end of the world, but the two were also quite hungry.

Which is to say, make a Resource roll at -1 if you wish to rent the room, or you can simply order his stew without a roll and seek accommodation according to your own devices.

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-25, 06:07 PM

Ryken makes his way over to the innkeeper, rain still dripping from his cloak as he moves across the room. Padding lightly up to the counter he says simply.

”10 now and 10 next time done deal.”

There is a calm sense of finality to his voice, a well practiced tone. His masters often told him if you act with finality then it is final. This applies to more than the kill they would say, time to test that theory.

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-26, 08:40 PM
Here’s that roll [roll0]

roryb
2021-04-27, 01:02 AM
The keeper glared warily back at Ryken, having taken note of his deadly serious tone. His eyes flicked at the sum. He scooped up the silver, pocketing the coins without taking his eyes off of the slayer.
“Wait here,” he said. “I’ll bring your trenchers.”

The creaking rocker stopped. The silence was broken only by the crackle of fuel burning in the hearth. The old man resumed once more and the rhythm continued. The other gaunt patron put his cup down, wiping the froth from his chin with the back of a filthy sleeve. The two newcomers felt the man’s eyes on them like needles.

The two heard the footsteps of the keeper returning, two piping hot full platters in either hand. The rocking stopped a third time. Without warning, sizzling bits of meat and gravy rained upon the two as they were flung at the new patrons with full force. Heavy crockery saucers whirled towards their heads. The keeper simultaneously kicked at something under the bar and the floor gave way.

Okay, there’s your warm welcome.

Let’s have some reactions. I’d like a “save” (Agility reaction) to avoid a floor trap. There’s a difficulty of 2 (added to your roll), but Ryken gets a bonus die since that’s the sort of reaction he’s good at. While you’re at it, make an Intellect roll to see if you’re surprised. Failure means he gets a jump on you in terms of action.

roryb
2021-04-27, 11:53 AM
Both newcomers sprang aside as a section of floor yawned open with a loud thud to reveal a black pit lined with sharp barbs. Both perched themselves narrowly on the edge. While Ryken was overwhelmed by the hot stew and surprising turn of events, Epikelsos had his wits about him. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the gaunt fellow who was now charging for the assassin's apprentice leading the way with his overturned table in an attempt to bowl him into the pit. The innkeeper too was leaping over the counter with a long club in his hand.

Well done on those rolls! We'll give Epikelsos the first action here, then the goons, then Ryken. Lord_Mikken, don't worry about waiting to post your action for me to take actions on the part of the NPCs. Post your intent and I'll assemble everything. Just leave narrations open enough that we know Ryken's intent but not the outcome. (Rolls on the part of the NPCs might override Ryken's action or rolls depending on how things go.)

ProudGrognard
2021-04-27, 12:26 PM

Epikelsos really hated having armed violent men in close range. As he precariously balances, the instics that his master has instilled in him - even for the wrong reasons, Mandrakore was adamant that an alchemist should be ready to inflict maximum pain in a second's notice- take over.

Epikelsos takes out a vial and shakes quickly it once, twice, three times. The clear liquid almost immediately becomes yellow-brown and starts to sizzle, while Epikelsos throws it at the treacherous bartender

"Suffeeeeeer!"

"Casts" Al-Khallid's Universal Solvent at PL3 for [roll0] damage, no resistance. Will roll [roll1]

EDIT: Success! Greater than 3 lower than 14

roryb
2021-04-27, 01:13 PM
The vial exploded at the man's throat. The hideous caustic fluid took effect immediately, eating away at his flesh. He clutched the foaming gore, and his momentum carried him into the pit, dead before he hit the unseen bottom.

The lanky fellow pushed his table into the already off-balanced Ryken. However, the bladesman regained his composure and twisted aside. The table went cascading atop the dead innkeeper somewhere in its unseen depths. A dagger suddenly flashed from the man's belt as he found himself face to face with Rykken.

The gaunt man's roll (I messed up the code, but it still would have resulted in failure for him): Bowling over Ryken at Disadvantage (>13) (https://orokos.com/roll/887697): 1d20l1 6

By the way, these are 1 HD NPCs with no special abilities.

I just noticed, Lord_Mikken that your stat block in the header of your posts includes Epikelsos's stats. You'll want to include Ryken's: PAIW: 11/13/12/10.

Ryken's action up next, followed by Epikelsos again for the new round (if there is one; I sense there probably won't be :smallcool:).

Lord_Mikken
2021-04-30, 05:41 PM
Ryken PAIW: 11/13/12/10 HP-6 luck dice 1d6

Ryken tries his best to end things quickly, not wanting to draw more attention than they already have. he tries to stab the man with his dagger, hoping to steer his body down the trap door on top of his companion.

Dagger Attack(goal-13) [roll0]

Wow you know for not wanting 20's 1 sure seem to keep getting em.

roryb
2021-05-01, 12:22 AM
Being wiry with an underdeveloped physique, Ryken underestimated the man’s abilities. As the assassin lashed out with the blade, his opponent caught his wrist with a firm and painful grip and the two danced a deadly dance dangerously near the edge of the pit. Ryken suddenly found himself off balance and fighting to free himself.

The man in the rocker continued to ignore the scene, but footsteps from the kitchen thundered closer. Behind the bar, a gray-whiskered man in a stained apron gaped at the scene and cursed. He went to the side of the space and reached for something.

Epilkelsos actually has the initiative before the cook can do anything. The gaunt man gets a bonus die to his next roll against Ryken. Quite the luck! Speaking of which, don’t forget you can reduce your luck for a re-roll.

ProudGrognard
2021-05-01, 03:06 AM

Seeing that the cook, or whatever he is, is still not obviously a threat, Epikelsos tries to help his friend. He again uncorks a small clay bottle, shakes it twice and throws it at the guy giving Ryken a hard time. Two times should be sufficient.

"Buuuuurn!"

However, Epikelsos' concentration wavers at the crucial moment by a sudden movement, and his infusion goes black and misses, some falling on his hand.

EDIT: By sheer luck, as the liquid splashes his hand,Epikelsos reflexively throws the bottle, which shatters at the back of Ryken's opponent. The black liquid, no longer acidic but very much poisonous, gets into his bloodstream.

"Casts" Al-Khallid's Universal Solvent at PL2 for [roll0] damage, no resistance. Will roll [roll1]

Edit: Failed the Will roll! Complication coming my way... Can I opt for the 2d4 damage, resisted for half?
EDIT2: Made the Luck roll!

roryb
2021-05-03, 12:31 AM
Epilkelsos avoided injury. Not so for Ryken’s opponent who released his hold on the former assassin. With a grimace of agony, he sank to his knees and plummeted into the hole.

By now, the cook pulled on a cord which rang a bell below in the depths under the trap door. He turned and retreated into the back of the establishment screaming at the top of his lungs,

Hit Point roll (https://orokos.com/roll/888691): 1d8 1. With only a point, that guy is out and then some.

Ryken can still perform a knife throw to get the cook if he wishes. There’s some advantage and disadvantage enough, including an exposed backside, darkness, and range, that they cancel one another out. Here are some hit points for him: Hit Points (https://orokos.com/roll/888692): 1d8 2

Lord_Mikken
2021-05-03, 12:42 AM

Ryken takes a deep breath trying to steady himself, he moves one foot back from the edge of the pit to give him a better stance. Then takes the wicked dagger and quickly flicks it in the direction of the screaming cook. Hoping to hit square in his back silencing his cries.

As the dagger thuds home he quickly looks to Epikelsos.”sh!t it’s not my night, care to finish him off?

throw(goal-13)[roll0]
damage... hopefully[roll1]

ProudGrognard
2021-05-03, 01:03 PM
Epikelsos, PAIW: 8/10/12/14, HP: 6, Luck: 1d4 of 1d6

Seeing his opponent escape even before Ryken stops talking, Epikelsos runs after him as he prepares yet another phial. He throws it unerringly before he disappears completely. But his hand was hurt more than he believed, and the acidic fumes spill all over him.

"Casts" Al-Khallid's Universal Solvent at PL1 for [roll0] dmg. Will roll [roll1], target between 1 and 14

EDIT: Nope... failed again.

roryb
2021-05-03, 05:07 PM
The alchemical fluids stung with great intensity. Epilkelsos had not the time to check on the severity of the burn, hoping the damage was not lasting. A flying pot of simmering broth was aimed for his head. The cook was cornered and screaming at the top of his lungs.

“Nod! Nod! Summon the others!”

Something about the mention of others would have given the alchemist concern had the hot fluid not taken his attention. The pot hit him full and the sizzling stew scalded him. Epilkelsos occupied the doorway to the kitchen, blocking the way currently for Ryken to come to his immediate aid.

The cook now had armed himself with a cruel-looking knife to finish the job.

Attack vs, Epilkelsos (>10) (https://orokos.com/roll/888742): 1d20 20? Yikes! That’s a crit...full damage plus Damage (https://orokos.com/roll/888743): 1d4 1 for a total of 5 points to Epilkelsos.

The complication will give him a penalty die for the next turn.

Lord_Mikken
2021-05-03, 09:48 PM
Ryken sighs hearing the cornered and wounded man screaming. All we wanted was a damn room...
”Will you please stop screaming! I really don’t want to kill you. Tell you what you shut your mouth for a moment. I’ll take my dagger back, Epikel here can stitch you up and we’ll simply walk away. I have had a long night and I really would just like to be done with it already!” he rants for a moment hoping maybe the clearly outmatched man will simply listen to reason. Though his time in the guilds has taught him not to rely on this so he rests his hand on the hilt of his short sword as he speaks.

ProudGrognard
2021-05-03, 11:53 PM
Epikelsos, PAIW: 8/10/12/14, HP: 1/6, Luck: 1d4 of 1d6

His hand burned, his lungs coughing and his blood spilling from the gash, Epikelsos is in a bad shape. Not trusting his focus anymore, he says to Ryken

"I don't think walking away is an option anymore, Ryk. This trap was not created for nothing."

As he talks he readies his crossbow and sends a bolt to the cruel cook.

Agility test [roll0] dmg [roll1]. Epikelsos is at his last legs...

roryb
2021-05-04, 01:00 AM
“You’ll die this night!” the cook blathered. “By the wings of Zhe’mat, I swear it! Now get out of my way!”

He charged toward the back door which was a few feet from Epilkelsos’ flank. Ryken was now free to slide past his companion, though the floor was slick from spilled broth.

Sounds stirred from outside including other yells.

Ryken can still attempt to stop him or take other action against him.

Lord_Mikken
2021-05-06, 01:49 AM

"Ah! fine then, you'll die too." Ryken sighs again as he quickly moves around Epikel, doing his best to not slip on the no slick floor as he draws his short sword. "You also still have my knife in your back. you didn't think I'd let you walk out with it did you?" As he closes the gap he quickly lunges forward hoping to slide the shortsword into the man's ribs.

Agility for not falling [roll0]
agility for attack [roll1]
ooh nice lunge and barely hits

ProudGrognard
2021-05-06, 04:21 AM
Epikelsos, PAIW: 8/10/12/14, HP: 1/6, Luck: 1d4 of 1d6

Seeing the crazy cook most likely going down, and sending a strange look towards the one person oblivious to the mayhem, Epikelsos takes the time to see where the voices are coming from, where the possible entrances are and what is in the kitchen. If he can, he jams some of them.

roryb
2021-05-06, 11:18 AM
The cook fell dead within reach of the door. A quick investigation revealed it to be the same back door from which the two saw someone expel rinse water. Outside, they heard the nicker of the lonely nag. Someone was hastening the beast out into the rain. There was no tack, but the figure managed to climb upon its back. There was plenty of heavy cabinetry to block the back door, but there seemed not to be any immediate threat of other people. The only known person left was the old man in his rocker, if he was still there.

Assume you can block the door without a roll for anything.