PDA

View Full Version : Yet another issue with my group

Calthropstu
2021-04-24, 02:08 PM
I am currently playing a TN aasimar sorcerer in Wrath of the Rightous. We are on book 4 and We are currently in the abyss travelling to meet with Noctilis the demon lord.

My character's entire concept is getting revenge on the source of his bloodline. One of the steps needed to take in this is the spell planar binding.

Certain members of the party have a big issue with this. Not because the spell can break the game (I would never use it to do so) but because "it counts as slavery and is thus evil and my character won't allow the enslavement of outsiders."

This originated from someone who has regularly tried to dictate my character's actions and constantly tries to make himself party leader. But it has spread to another character saying the same thing.

This is pretty much essential to my entire character and the game has been running for quite some time. I am unwilling to give up my character, and given the number of times I have had to make concessions in this group, I am flat out refusing to drop the spell. The gm has not really taken any sides. But one member of the group has stated if he sees me using it, he will kill my character.

So, should I:

Avoid letting his character see me?
Strike first and kill him?
Let his character kill mine?
Ask the gm to step in and possibly lose the spell?
Get the entire party killed?
Stop being stubborn and drop the spell?
Leave the group?

I am open to suggestions.

Vizzerdrix
2021-04-24, 02:27 PM
First step is to talk to the dm.

Second step is to talk with the dm and problem player about what the REAL issue is (I highly doubt it is the spell).

Third step is to prep for pvp. Don't strike first, and don't kill if you can. I like using control spells and draining levels, but polymorphing them into a puppy can work too.

After that, consider if you wish to stay with the group. Remember, you owe them nothing and if it isn't fun, it isn't worth doing.

Kol Korran
2021-04-24, 02:31 PM
I don't have a specific answer, but due to the title of the thread, remembering a similar problem on another thread, and toy mentioning this is a repeating problem, I'd suggest... addressing the entire group (Possivly by email or other aocial media first), and address the problem. NOT the problem of the specific spell (though you can get to that) but the problem of you feeling you are constantly "lecutered/ schooled" or the mismatch between your character and the party/ game style.

Really, if this comes up soooooo many times, then even if you do find a solution for the spell, then something else will come up. You are at about a third into the 4th module. So you have a bit more than 2.5 modules to go. If you don't address and solve the bigger problem now, then you'll either suffer more, or the party will suffer more, or the campaign will break/ halt, or the group may splinter in bad blood...

Address the issues, in a way that seeks real communication, trying to find a solution that may fit the entire group. I feel that both you amd at least the player whom you say is trying to be the leader, area allready at odds/ a fight. I suggest to request that you both (and any other members) come to discuss this openly, willing to hear he other side fully, take criticism, and work things out. For the sake of the group and friendship, more than anything else.

I hope it will go well!

DarkSoul
2021-04-24, 02:31 PM
I think, in this situation, the type of vengeance you plan to exact might make a difference. If you're planning on just killing it, they don't have a lot of room to argue because the only reason you're using planar binding is to bring it to you. The same goes for something like imprisoning it for an extended period of time; depending on the power of the demon you're binding you could be preventing a considerable amount of evil from being done.

As for the threat to your character, well, how about something like this?

"You may try to kill me if I take my vengeance on this demon, but if you don't succeed I assure you you'll be joining him in his imprisonment. Removing this magnitude of evil from existence would be nicely balanced by removing a force for good of similar magnitude. I neither ask for, nor require, your help but I would appreciate it. What I don't appreciate is being threatened, so consider carefully if you'd like to do so again."

Calthropstu
2021-04-24, 02:46 PM
I think, in this situation, the type of vengeance you plan to exact might make a difference. If you're planning on just killing it, they don't have a lot of room to argue because the only reason you're using planar binding is to bring it to you. The same goes for something like imprisoning it for an extended period of time; depending on the power of the demon you're binding you could be preventing a considerable amount of evil from being done.

As for the threat to your character, well, how about something like this?

"You may try to kill me if I take my vengeance on this demon, but if you don't succeed I assure you you'll be joining him in his imprisonment. Removing this magnitude of evil from existence would be nicely balanced by removing a force for good of similar magnitude. I neither ask for, nor require, your help but I would appreciate it. What I don't appreciate is being threatened, so consider carefully if you'd like to do so again."

I'm an aasimar, not a tiefling. The source of my bloodline is a Draconal who was setting up for someone to be available to help when the demons invaded. This is not a simple matter here, it's a cr 20 Agothian.

But that's not all I'm binding. I need to set up several things in order to get celestial, inevitable and diabolic armies in order to help repel the demons. Ultimately, I intend to open several gates to other realms to bring in armies strong enough to obliterate the armies of the demons while we eventually go after the commanders. But this requires a LOT of ground work. I then intend to use the other armies to force all of the armies back through the portals I brought them in and ultimately close all the portals, close the worldwound and live happily ever after.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-04-24, 02:51 PM
That seems like a RP discussion to me, and both of you are being in-character, so I don't think there is really any reason to leave the group IRL, and the DM has no real reason to intervene in favor of one part or the other of the argument. The rest is pretty much up to you. I think what matters here is how your character sees planar binding himself. Does he consider that slavery, but it is still better than letting his bloodline run free? Or does he consider the Outsider he binds as criminals that deserved it? In any case, if your character can explain the reasons why he needs planar binding, it may help a lot to explain them and justify why it is necessary to him. Maybe promise he will treat the Outsiders well and not send them to die (or, if the Outsiders he wants to bind are the bloodline he wants to get rid of, promise that no other Outsider will be harmed). If that won't work, there is not much else you can do.

1) Ask them for another solution to get revenge. If you emphasize their crimes, the rest of your party might even help you find a way that doesn't involve planar binding.
2) Can your character keep a secret from the group? Would he? If so, the easiest way to avoid conflict in the short term is to keep using your spell in secret. However, you are at risk of being found, and then you get to:

3) Conflict. That... is never desirable in a TTRPG, because it will generally make at least one player character get re-rolled, and the player losing the experience they have with the character. This is why I advise to avoid PvP, even if it is what your character would do (one of the rare cases when metagame should outweigh in-character interaction). In that case, your character will become a minor villain of the campaign, and you are probably going to have to reroll anyway. But if it comes down to it, you are better off fleeing offering to leave the party than try to fight them "1 vs a lot". If they try to follow you to kill you anyway, and the DM doesn't just make your character an NPC, then you can prepare according to their weaknesses, and put traps that can hit them hard. And in this case, of course with DM approval, you can even use planar binding to break the game ("I wanted to play nice, but you left me no choice, now watch what you are forcing me to have the Outsiders do. Attack!") during the final fight, which would be ironic. Anyway, major conflict (the "if you don't stop I will kill you" kind) in a party is generally not something you can get back from, so think a lot before going down that path.

Melcar
2021-04-24, 02:54 PM
I am currently playing a TN aasimar sorcerer in Wrath of the Rightous. We are on book 4 and We are currently in the abyss travelling to meet with Noctilis the demon lord.

My character's entire concept is getting revenge on the source of his bloodline. One of the steps needed to take in this is the spell planar binding.

Certain members of the party have a big issue with this. Not because the spell can break the game (I would never use it to do so) but because "it counts as slavery and is thus evil and my character won't allow the enslavement of outsiders."

This originated from someone who has regularly tried to dictate my character's actions and constantly tries to make himself party leader. But it has spread to another character saying the same thing.

This is pretty much essential to my entire character and the game has been running for quite some time. I am unwilling to give up my character, and given the number of times I have had to make concessions in this group, I am flat out refusing to drop the spell. The gm has not really taken any sides. But one member of the group has stated if he sees me using it, he will kill my character.

So, should I:

Leave the group?

Im going to say strike first! That player sounds like a jerk! Cast him into the fire! DESTROY him... isildurrrr!

GrayDeath
2021-04-24, 03:00 PM
Adding another "Adress the pbious out of game problem out of Game and if necessary with an ultimatum!".

And this coming from somebody who was, without further talking exposed to something similar.

If all you told us is true, then your playstyles clash, your fellow palyers are "Malign Techer Txypes" asnd you tend to react "ingame and kinda vilently".

The Crash will happen. Make it happen as civilly and productively as possible.

Clementx
2021-04-24, 03:45 PM
Point them to the spell description where you negotiate a price for service. Call the other players on their hypocrisy of employing hirelings, enslaving them to drive the wagon and clean camp, and only giving them, "wages" in exchange.

List of other things in a medieval fantasy setting that fits modern definitions of slavery that they have no problem with:
-Every feudal lord maintaining an estate by extorting serfs for their labor on threat of violence. No more taking jobs from nobles.
-Established religions demanding tithes from those same serfs on threat of excommunication and condemnation to a physical hell. Double dip exploitation.
-Every tradesman extracts decades of indentured servitude from his apprentices, who were most likely human trafficked by their guardians. No buying goods or services from anyone part of a trade guild.
-Serving staff pay a premium to owners for the chance to beg for tips from customers. Most are also pimped into sex work. No more dining in inns or flirting with wenches.
-Clerics using planar ally or summon spells.
-Wizards enslaving an intelligent cat or bird as its familiar.
-Druids enslaving wild beasts as companions.

Then tell the players to keep their opinions on your class features to themselves.

nedz
2021-04-24, 04:23 PM
But one member of the group has stated if he sees me using it, he will kill my character.

So, should I:

Leave the group?

I would be tempted to call his bluff — by ignoring his comment.

BTW if you have never cast this spell, how do they know that you can ?

Calthropstu
2021-04-24, 06:03 PM
I would be tempted to call his bluff — by ignoring his comment.

BTW if you have never cast this spell, how do they know that you can ?

I have cast it. A few times.

bean illus
2021-04-24, 07:31 PM
Talk to the DM, ...

... about the other character disappearing without a trace while asleep.

Seriously. Not a word to the other players, ever. Just disappeared. Gone. Not a trace, or a reason. Just gone.

Fizban
2021-04-25, 02:12 AM
I am currently playing a TN aasimar sorcerer . . . My character's entire concept is getting revenge on the source of his bloodline. One of the steps needed to take in this is the spell planar binding.
Taking revenge on someone because they're related to you? Doesn't sound TN to me.

Funny, because the spell's text makes it pretty clear that you're supposed to be bargaining with them, not arbitrarily enslaving them. Methinks they protest too much.

This originated from someone who has regularly tried to dictate my character's actions and constantly tries to make himself party leader. But it has spread to another character saying the same thing. . . . The gm has not really taken any sides. But one member of the group has stated if he sees me using it, he will kill my character.
Yes, they have. By not stepping in to defuse this issue, the DM has taken the side of the players who think threatening to kill another party member is appropriate.

So, should I:

Leave the group?

So, you have a group that accepted a character whose entire concept revolved around getting revenge (which to be clear, is evil*) but is now suddenly not okay with you doing what it takes to get revenge? Because one of them has decided their idea of what Planar Binding is, is more important than yours, and the DM can't be bothered to do anything about it?

This group continues to have serious underlying issues. If you refuse to capitulate any further, then it sounds like you either leave, or make a mess before you leave. But hey, if Mr "I'll kill your character if you don't do what I say" wants a fight, and you think you can win, sure why not strike first? Sounds like a real quick way to find out if this "neutral" DM was actually being neutral before you leave.

*Revenge does not help someone else at cost to yourself, but it does harm someone else, therefore evil.

Kol Korran
2021-04-25, 03:53 AM
I'm an aasimar, not a tiefling. The source of my bloodline is a Draconal who was setting up for someone to be available to help when the demons invaded. This is not a simple matter here, it's a cr 20 Agothian.

But that's not all I'm binding. I need to set up several things in order to get celestial, inevitable and diabolic armies in order to help repel the demons. Ultimately, I intend to open several gates to other realms to bring in armies strong enough to obliterate the armies of the demons while we eventually go after the commanders. But this requires a LOT of ground work. I then intend to use the other armies to force all of the armies back through the portals I brought them in and ultimately close all the portals, close the worldwound and live happily ever after.

A few things, on top of what I've written before:
1- I gather why people may think the spell is evil/ uses slavery: The spell describes you preparing a trap, and the creature forced to perform a service for it's freedom. Meaning that if it refuses, then he doesn't get its freedom. Sounds pretty much like slavery to me. Yes, you can haggle and offer it stuff to gain it's cooperation, but at the very core of the spell, it FORCES the creature into a situatio ehwre it has to agree or negotiate with the binder, for it's freedom. I understand why goody-two-shoes characters may be opposed to this. And for those who dont know the Adventure Path- Wrath of The Righteous is THE AP designed for goody-two-shoes, knights in shining armor, holier-than-thou, chamions and doers of all that is good and righteous and sos forth, and this theme is hammered through the entire player's guide, AP itself, and so on. The description even go so fsr as to suggest prohibiting evil characters and be wary of neutral ones. The AP is aimed at paladins for goodness sake! (Pun intended).

2- About youe grandiose plan... Have you discussed it fully with your DM? I'm asking, because knowing the AP, and your point in it, there are several problems:
# First, you'll barely have ANY free time/downtime. From here on, you are basically running from world shaking emergrncy to another, racing against time to thwart the demons nefarious plans. If this idea requires A LOT of workx as you say, I just don't think you'll have the time.

# Secondly, your end goal kind of makes the end module redundent... there is no reason to play it if you succeed. And if you succeed in the final module, than your plans are redundent and obsolete...

# The AP is VERY linear in terms of progress and almost doesn't enable the PCs to fully pursue long term plans and projects (A major problem with the group I ran as well. They had other grandiose plans and projects, but the AP makes it so they simply don't have time for that... Which frustrated them to no end). Talk to the DM, and see if trying to achieve your plan and goals is even feasible, within the constraint of the AP, or if he is ready to throw away at lwast the last module, or more, if he is willing to let you persue your plans.

# Last, but possibly not least- While it has not been directly addressed in the AP, there are clues and vague explanation there (Or elsewhere? I forgot) why the various outsider armies haven't joined to battle this full scale assault and invasion of Golarion. The war has been going on for about 100 years! And tre demonic armies belong to just 2 demon lords. Don't you think someone else thought of a similar idea? The queen has direct communication (Or close to it) with the 5 gods of the crusade! I suggest researching/ getting a good explanation as to why this didn't work before...

But all of these aside, I again suggest to have an open discussion about this with the group..You are presnting them as total jerks, but knowing the AP, and rereading the last complaint which I answered to, you specifically chose a character that is NOT well suited for the AP and it's play style. It's likely you have contributed to the problem.

Anyway, I am sorry you have had (and continuing to have) such a bad experience... talk it out, or else.it would just repeat itself, in a different form

Rynjin
2021-04-25, 06:22 AM
Just...leave the group. You've posted a thread complaining about this group like once a month for the last two years, man. Clearly none of the advice you've been given has worked. Just bail. These people are not the only people in the entire ****ing universe you can play RPGs with. These aren't even the only people you can play Wrath of the Righteous with. This experience is not irreplaceable. Solve the problem at its root already instead of constantly attempting in vain to salvage an unsalvageable situation.

Taffimai
2021-04-25, 08:59 AM
Reading Kol Korran's info on the AP, it seems to me that some timely divination could bring your character and the ones who object to your methods closer together. They get told by their deity that your determination is crucial to the defeat of the evil forces, you learn that your gate-plan is doomed to fail but that another path to destroy the ones who wronged you lies ahead, and you can all work together begrudgingly. Get your DM to set this up somehow.

Additionally, if the other characters persist in hating on Planar Binding, use this to get your DM to grant you Planar Ally instead. That's what rule 0 is for.

Calthropstu
2021-04-25, 09:15 AM
Taking revenge on someone because they're related to you? Doesn't sound TN to me.

Funny, because the spell's text makes it pretty clear that you're supposed to be bargaining with them, not arbitrarily enslaving them. Methinks they protest too much.

Yes, they have. By not stepping in to defuse this issue, the DM has taken the side of the players who think threatening to kill another party member is appropriate.

So, you have a group that accepted a character whose entire concept revolved around getting revenge (which to be clear, is evil*) but is now suddenly not okay with you doing what it takes to get revenge? Because one of them has decided their idea of what Planar Binding is, is more important than yours, and the DM can't be bothered to do anything about it?

This group continues to have serious underlying issues. If you refuse to capitulate any further, then it sounds like you either leave, or make a mess before you leave. But hey, if Mr "I'll kill your character if you don't do what I say" wants a fight, and you think you can win, sure why not strike first? Sounds like a real quick way to find out if this "neutral" DM was actually being neutral before you leave.

*Revenge does not help someone else at cost to yourself, but it does harm someone else, therefore evil.

I disagree on the revenge being evil and apparently so do the game creators seeing how the goddess of revenge is CN.

And it's not because they are related to me. It's because they tainted my blood with their outsider filth. I have had to watch my entire family grow old and die while I remained young, an outsider in both the figurative and lliteral sense. I fear to take a wife because of the heartache of watching my children grow old and die. That they think this is ok to do to someone for their "master plan" is unforgivable. That's my character's take on his bloodline.

snip
Thanks for this. I will give this some thought.

Fizban
2021-04-25, 04:46 PM
Wrath of The Righteous is THE AP designed for goody-two-shoes, knights in shining armor, holier-than-thou, chamions and doers of all that is good and righteous and sos forth, and this theme is hammered through the entire player's guide, AP itself, and so on. The description even go so fsr as to suggest prohibiting evil characters and be wary of neutral ones. The AP is aimed at paladins for goodness sake! (Pun intended).
Which makes it sound less like the DM dropped the ball, and more like they spiked it into a ravine.

Though if it's mentioned in the player's guide, that does raise the question of whether the players were provided with the player's guide.

I disagree on the revenge being evil and apparently so do the game creators seeing how the goddess of revenge is CN.
Which one in which book? Actually, if you're playing PF it's probably a Pathfinder god, at which point there are so many writers over time that yeah. Regardless, it's another thing the DM should have read before the game even began.

And it's not because they are related to me. It's because they tainted my blood with their outsider filth. I have had to watch my entire family grow old and die while I remained young, an outsider in both the figurative and lliteral sense. I fear to take a wife because of the heartache of watching my children grow old and die. That they think this is ok to do to someone for their "master plan" is unforgivable. That's my character's take on his bloodline.
To which I believe the usual response would range from "sucks dude, maybe get some therapy?" to "oh boo hoo you're immortal so sad." There's no way you're going to convince me that a response to the circumstance of you happening to be the person born with this effect, where you hatch your own master plan to kill someone out of spite, is Neutral. The phrase "outsider filth" seems much more revealing. And that's to say nothing of the solutions magic can provide for putting yourself in a body that does age and die, or just doing it yourself, or making your loved ones immortal, or. . .

This revenge is not justice or due recompense, it's the fulfillment of a personal desire to harm. The DM may have been responsible for allowing this character, but as it's your character, you do remain the one responsible for bringing a revenge-fueled character to what is apparently a Paladin-fest. You can define your alignment system such that a limited amount of harming others for personal fulfillment doesn't count as Evil, but it's still not something a Paladin-minded character/player is going to be okay with.

Zanos
2021-04-25, 05:10 PM
What is the objecting characters background such that they have a problem with planar binding? "It's slavery" isn't necessarily wrong but usually people don't have violent objections to forcing celestials to actually do their god damn job, or pressing fiendish outsiders, who routinely inflict the worst kind of imaginable torture on innocents, into service.

Are they aware of your plan? Because to be honest I think the vast majority of rational characters would have a serious problem with you planning to kill a powerful Good outsider because he gave you special powers. I understand that your character might have the perspective that it's ruined their life, but from an outside perspective it's deranged; you're planning on murdering someone because they gave you superpowers that prevent you from relating to common folks. Sure that might suck for you, but plenty of other people have managed with their special abilities just fine, and your recourse is to assassinate a powerful leader of team Good during a demonic invasion.

Most people that aren't themselves part of a demonic cult are gonna take issue with that.

-snip-

Gonna throw in that these arguments are all pretty specious. It's made clear in most examples of actual use that planar binding compels behavior and those bound resent it. Many of the things you outlined here are voluntary; just because someone does what you say doesn't make them a slave. And some of the other things here exist in the context of social coercion, but aren't slapping magical shackles on a creature to bend it your will. You're basically looking at a guy in shackles and telling him it's not really slavery because jobs exist.

One Step Two
2021-04-25, 07:05 PM
I am going to agree with those suggesting to talk about it out of game, but I think this kind of framing might be good:

"So, I think this inter-character conflict has made for a good bit of tension in the group, how do you see it resolving story-wise?" Put the onus on them to basically describe what the point or eventual resolution to the conflict is.

At it's core, there's nothing wrong with having that kind of conflict in a group, but a player who instigates it needs to be more mindful of a means of resolution. Will it become begrudging respect? Will it become grim acceptance? Or form a rift between the characters, who agree to disagree, but that might come to an interesting conflict later down the line after a long tense silence.
The core thing is to make sure the player of the Character who has issue with yours actually sees an arc in that conflict, rather than conflict alone. Remind them, that having their character repeatedly criticize yours with endless tension without an end-point in mind, is essentially bullying, rather than playful inter-party banter. You're both there to have fun, and you need to make it explicit that you will not be having fun if your character is dumped on repeatedly.

Drelua
2021-04-25, 09:44 PM
Your character could just marry an elf, same average life expectancy. If you want to continue with this group, the best way to do that would be to give up on the revenge quest against a force of cosmic goodness for having mortal children. Maybe the character would be less angry about his super long life span if they started spending time with people that live a similar amount of time.

On the other hand, threatening to kill your character for casting a spell is not cool. If they don't know about your revenge quest, then that's a weirdly extreme response. If they do, and they're capital letter Good Guys, it would be entirely reasonable of them to want to stop you from doing that. But threats aren't a Good Guy way to accomplish that.

But as someone that has more than once, when I was still gaming with my high school friends, come to these forums to complain about all the problems in games where I didn't feel I had agency as a player, that the group was being unfair and immature, or that the GM would ignore the rules to do just say something childish happens, well, those games were not worth it. Now that I've had good groups where everyone respected everyone else and wants to make sure everyone's playing a game they want to be playing, I would never go back to that GM unless I was being paid a lot of money. As my friends often say, not having any game at all is better than having a bad game. I can have more fun sitting at home than playing a game where other people tell me what my character would or wouldn't do.

If the group's worth it, maybe consider having your character let go of their need for revenge, while also making it clear that you will not be in a group that threatens your life over a spell. That's not a productive way to solve a disagreement. But if the group's consistently a problem, just leave. Turning it into PvP is only going to burn bridges with friends, people tend to get upset about things like that. Assuming you want to stay friends with these people. I sure didn't keep in touch with my old GM, but most of the players were good people.

icefractal
2021-04-25, 11:16 PM
Some thoughts:

And it's not because they are related to me. It's because they tainted my blood with their outsider filth. I have had to watch my entire family grow old and die while I remained young, an outsider in both the figurative and lliteral sense. I fear to take a wife because of the heartache of watching my children grow old and die. That they think this is ok to do to someone for their "master plan" is unforgivable. That's my character's take on his bloodline.So ... are the Elven parents of Half-Elves also horribly evil? Interesting perspective, but I don't think that most characters I've played would agree - the point of which is that I don't think people would necessarily be acting in bad faith if they dispute the ethics IC.

Re: Planar Binding as Slavery -
Are you going to negotiate and recompense them reasonably? Or are you going to force it with Charisma checks? Because in the latter case, I have to agree that it's 100% slavery.

And the reason I suspect you might mean the latter is because this:

But that's not all I'm binding. I need to set up several things in order to get celestial, inevitable and diabolic armies in order to help repel the demons. Ultimately, I intend to open several gates to other realms to bring in armies strong enough to obliterate the armies of the demons while we eventually go after the commanders. But this requires a LOT of ground work. I then intend to use the other armies to force all of the armies back through the portals I brought them in and ultimately close all the portals, close the worldwound and live happily ever after.That's a plan which will either involve a lot of resources, or rely on freebies via forced binding. As for whether PCs should be in each-other's business about their schemes - well, it varies. Wrath of the Righteous however, is the definitively good-aligned AP - it's not unreasonable for a PC in that to have strong ethical standards.

But more importantly, what may be the real cause of the Paladin's resistance:

I then intend to use the other armies to force all of the armies back through the portals I brought them in and ultimately close all the portals, close the worldwound and live happily ever after.So you will solve the AP singlehandedly, with the rest of the party being unimportant once you reach the necessary level to bootstrap your ascension.

While IC threats with a sideways justification are a poor way to deal with it, I can't really disagree if the Paladin player's actual point is: "No, I'm not ok with you solo-ing the rest of this. I want to solve it the way presented in the book, where I'd also matter."

ngilop
2021-04-25, 11:46 PM
Yeah.. I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do a short cut of the entire premise of the adventure path and completely by yourself to boot.

Why the other players are upset about your plan to completely shut them off from any further contribution for the story, character progression, or the adventure path at large is beyond my ability to comprehend.

redking
2021-04-26, 03:14 AM
Cast Planar Binding outside the view of the party. Bind of horrific creature of the Lower Planes. Make the deal for payment, and also offer the equipment of your tormenter should the creature kill your tormenter.

After that you happily announce your heel turn. "I'm Neutral Evil now".

Dalmosh
2021-04-26, 03:25 AM
Yeah.. I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do a short cut of the entire premise of the adventure path and completely by yourself to boot.

Why the other players are upset about your plan to completely shut them off from any further contribution for the story, character progression, or the adventure path at large is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I have never played a published adventure path for this reason - sounds like HeroQuest with more talking to me. I'd pretty much rather just play a videogame by myself.
Maybe its not for you either. That's perfectly legit, but not something to inflict on your DM and fellow players who do want to do something more streamlined, and are commited to that.

In a broader sense though... player vs player sucks for everybody and is a total waste of your DM's time and effort to start with. If you're not playing collaboratively to what your group wants to do, then what are you doing exactly?

Character vs character on the other hand is absolutely awesome at the right table provided everyone is into it and its part of how you all play the game. Whether that's appropriate or not and what that looks like is
1. the DM's responsibility to set boundaries around and adjudicate accordingly and clearly
2. a style that you as players collaboratively need to be discussing and playing to.

Busting it out randomly mid-campaign with no prior discussion is pretty poor etiquette - that's ideally a session zero discussion.

Its really frustrating as a DM trying to run a campaign when players can't make their minds up about what they want, and won't build characters with aligned goals and outlooks to what the party is actually doing. One of my players had a nefarious wizard character with many hidden allegiances that eventually made the other PCs distrust him and not want to adventure with him any more. I allowed and faciliated the other players to ambush the PC and sell him into slavery. The guy was pretty bummed, and with hindsight I would handle it a bit differently nowadays, but there is still a lesson here... you have to play to your group, not just for yourself. Your DM also has to cater to the best compromise of what the most people want in a given situation - which typically means those that rock the boat are the ones who lose out.

These days my players mostly roll up shady and untrustworthy mercenary type PCs with fairly shaky alliances at best. In a party like that, you need to prove your worth while watching your back - which is a different approach to the game which works for us but does come with its own hassles. It can be hard motivating that kind of party to actually do anything - they more tend to react to outside threats which would be really frustrating if I had any kind of core story I was railroading around.

Another facet of this is... you have divergent goals to the group that you anticipate pursuing. How is that going to play out sensibly in a way that your whole group will enjoy?
- Are you going to have private one on one sessions with the DM and not even show up to the main game any more?
- Is this all just fluff that will be described in writing out of sessions?
- Are the other players meant to roll up alternative characters to help you do this sidequest?
- Are you expecting to subvert the main game into a split game alternating between you and the main group? Sounds pretty dull for everyone else waiting to do something, and pretty taxing on the DM to run smoothly.
Knowing how your DM sees this playing out and what they have discussed with you is probably helpful moving forwards.