PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Converting the Artificer/Magewright to Pathfinder?

Destro2119
2021-04-24, 04:02 PM
As the title says. I am looking for help on converting the Artificer and Magewright from Eberron to match Pathfinder rules.

Most notably, the fact that in PF magic items do not need xp and the fact that in the lore/mechanics of PF magic items are something that can be crafted by non-casters/eventually industrialized is stuff I need help with (you may find the former more relevant than the latter).

Like what abilities of the Artificer/Magewright are going to change, and what should I replace them with?

Any information is welcome, especially recommendations on preexisting conversions.

Prime32
2021-04-24, 04:41 PM
Worth noting that PF increased the number of magic item slots, but didn't include the MIC rules for adding "essential stat bonuses" to an item without markup (though a lot of GMs continue to use them anyway). Also that as an Eberron class the mechanics include a few references to action points, which aren't exactly the same as hero points.

The closest PF equivalents to Artificer are the Alchemist and Occultist classes, plus some things here and there like Arcanists with the Consume Magic Items and Convert Wand exploits.
There's also some mechanics like the wizard's Staff-like Wand discovery and the magus's Wand Mastery arcana, which a PF artificer should be able to pick up in order to stay on par.
Then there's Item Mastery feats (https://aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?Category=Item Mastery), which are so up the artificer's alley that they should have some way to qualify for them more easily.
Since PF cantrips are at will, it might also help to give them something like:

Enhanced Wands: When casting a spell from a wand or staff, an artificer adds his Charisma modifier to the save DC (if any). If the spell inflicts or heals damage, he also gains a bonus on the damage roll equal to his Intelligence modifier.

The artificer begins play with two battered wands, each containing a 0th-level spell from any spell list; these otherwise functions as the battered gun granted to the gunslinger class at 1st level.

Free Activation: When casting a spell from a magic item with a limited number of charges (but not a consumable or single-use item) the artificer can expend points from his artificery pool equal to the spell level (minimum 0) in place of a charge. He may also use this ability to gain additional daily uses of an item mastery feat, if he possesses any.

Rynjin
2021-04-24, 05:25 PM
There's a third party Artificer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer/) I've always liked the looks of. Not sure how it stacks up to what you want.

QuadraticGish
2021-04-24, 06:56 PM
Some fansite here (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer) appears to have already done it at a glance.

2021-04-24, 07:19 PM
Generally when I want to do an Artificer in a PF game, I ask if Artisan (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/drop-dead-studios/the-artisan/) is allowed. 3pp so naturally the answer is frequently "no", but sometimes it's yes. :smallsmile:

Destro2119
2021-04-24, 07:32 PM
Worth noting that PF increased the number of magic item slots, but didn't include the MIC rules for adding "essential stat bonuses" to an item without markup (though a lot of GMs continue to use them anyway).

What do you mean?

Prime32
2021-04-24, 08:24 PM
What do you mean?
Originally in 3.5, the rule was that adding a secondary ability to the same item costs 1.5x normal. Magic Item Compendium had the devs say "Oops, we included items that do cool things for players to get attached to, but balanced encounters around the assumption that you'd be wearing generic stat boosters and throwing out your +1 item as soon as you get a +2 one". Under the new rule, you could ignore the multiplier as long as you were adding a "common item effect" which just boosted your stats, and were doing it on an appropriate body slot - e.g. if a PC badly needed more Charisma they could just upgrade their invisibility cloak with +4 Cha instead of having to throw it out and replace it with a +4 Cha cloak that did nothing else.

Pathfinder uses the original pricing mechanic.

Destro2119
2021-04-25, 12:43 PM
Originally in 3.5, the rule was that adding a secondary ability to the same item costs 1.5x normal. Magic Item Compendium had the devs say "Oops, we included items that do cool things for players to get attached to, but balanced encounters around the assumption that you'd be wearing generic stat boosters and throwing out your +1 item as soon as you get a +2 one". Under the new rule, you could ignore the multiplier as long as you were adding a "common item effect" which just boosted your stats, and were doing it on an appropriate body slot - e.g. if a PC badly needed more Charisma they could just upgrade their invisibility cloak with +4 Cha instead of having to throw it out and replace it with a +4 Cha cloak that did nothing else.

Pathfinder uses the original pricing mechanic.

Frankly, to me, the biggest part of that pricing chart is the whole example of True Strike spam item, and why you shouldn't slavishly follow the chart.

In every game I have played, I've basically always just adjusted prices/availability to fit the setting itself/the "usefulness" of the item (usually erring on the side of lower).

Ie in a science-fantasy/modern campaign with industrialized, studied magic and tech, and therefore crafting/buying magic/other special items is common, therefore prices aren't meant to be high, but if I'm running a gritty low magic 1e medieval type campaign you can bet I'm not even letting you "buy magic".