PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next the eldritch blast conundrum

kazaryu
2021-04-25, 07:50 AM
alright, so one of the 'problems' with warlocks, and specifically eldritch blast, is that all the subclasses can feel same-y. for example, you get the same spell from a celestial as you'd get from cthulu? (thats assuming you decide to take EB). its kinda weird. so i've been playing around with the idea of deleting the eldritch blast cantrip, and instead giving warlocks another level 1 feature 'eldritch blast. (yes, im aware that this is a buff to what is already one of the strongest single level dips).

'eldritch blast'

choose a cantrip (any spell list) that meets the following conditions:
-only targets a single creature
-forces you to roll a spell attack, or the target to make a save against your spell save DC
-must deal damage.

. you learn this cantrip but it doesn't count against your spells known. this cantrip becomes your 'eldritch blast' with the following modification. whenever your eldritch blast would gain additional damage dice, you may instead choose an additional target for its baseline effect. the additional target(s) can be the same as the original target.'

so essentially allow them to pick any single target damage cantrip to be their eldritch blast, and change it so that it scales the same way that current EB does, thus preserving synergy with things like hex/agonizing blast.

The goal here is to change EB so that its something that nearly any warlock player is comfortable having. because its no longer just a damage cantrip. you can replace it with cantrips that come with some built in utility. but i also don't want to drastically increase the power of single class warlocks, just open more options up to them. Overall the intent would be to have the cantrip choice be thematic with your patron. but thats not something i really feel like codefying, since its ultimately between the player and their DM. and lastly im trying to accomplish these goals as relatively elegantly as possible...thats a tough one to explain, but the idea is i don't want to do too much creation of mechanics, or things like that.

my questions for you all are: do you like this idea from a thematic standpoint. for those of you that fall into the category of 'people that prefer to play warlocks without EB' would having this be a feature be something you'd actually enjoy working with? and lastly, what are the most broken things you can think of when it comes to abusing this? be it from a single class warlock, or as a dip/multiclass. please, don't try to bend my intent based on what i wrote. i've tried to make it clear what the intent of this rule change is. and im looking for feedback based on that. im not going full legalese.

Composer99
2021-04-25, 01:22 PM
I don't think this really opens up anything for abuse.

(1) Most cantrips do less damage than classic eldritch blast.
(2) Most other cantrips don't do force damage, which is among the best damage types in the game.
(3) Eldritch blast is just a feat (magic initiate) or a level away.
(4) In order to get the most out of designating a cantrip as your "eldritch blast", you need that second level of warlock (for agonising blast and maybe also repelling blast), not any different than classic eldritch blast.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-04-25, 06:19 PM
The only potentially overtuned boost here is magic stone.

Consider, a Warlock 1/Necromancer 19. Provided you also bump charisma (not a worthless choice if the party doesn't have a face character). Magic Stone now produces an additional stone per tier for a max of 6. That turns 6 of your weakest undead into 6 cannons firing d6+11 magical bludgeoning with +11 or more to hit. Normally you'd be limited to 3 such skeletons. Possibly d6+16 damage if you allow agonizing blast to increase the damage of the stones...

Something to think about.

kazaryu
2021-04-25, 08:26 PM
The only potentially overtuned boost here is magic stone.

Consider, a Warlock 1/Necromancer 19. Provided you also bump charisma (not a worthless choice if the party doesn't have a face character). Magic Stone now produces an additional stone per tier for a max of 6. That turns 6 of your weakest undead into 6 cannons firing d6+11 magical bludgeoning with +11 or more to hit. Normally you'd be limited to 3 such skeletons. Possibly d6+16 damage if you allow agonizing blast to increase the damage of the stones...

Something to think about. magic stone doesnt target a single creature, nor does it scale normally, so even if it was allowed it wouldnt be modified by the feature.

I don't think this really opens up anything for abuse.

(1) Most cantrips do less damage than classic eldritch blast.
(2) Most other cantrips don't do force damage, which is among the best damage types in the game.
(3) Eldritch blast is just a feat (magic initiate) or a level away.
(4) In order to get the most out of designating a cantrip as your "eldritch blast", you need that second level of warlock (for agonising blast and maybe also repelling blast), not any different than classic eldritch blast.
Oh i wasnt really worried about damage wise. I was more asking about the utility effects. For example, ray of frost. This would change it so that you eventually get up to 4 instances of ray of frost from a single casting. Multiplying the potential utility options

faustin
2021-04-26, 08:48 AM
This supplement deals, among other things, with making EB personalized for warlocks, adding several possible effects and types of damage depending on the otherwordly patron.
Also it's free:

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/300920