PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Concentration?

SangoProduction
2021-04-25, 09:43 AM
In particular, maintaining concentration. As in concentrating on a spell / sphere effect, preferably indefinitely. I wanted to know what resources I had to work with

The only thing I know of that relates to being able to maintain concentration on a sphere effect would be a Spheres of Power boon which lets you do it as a move action. Then you hop on a mount, and essentially pretend it's not taking an action from you at all.

But it still takes requires you to be conscious, and if you want to concentrate on a second effect, that would be your entire turn every round.

Is there a way to improve on this?

cartejos
2021-04-25, 09:48 AM
Off the top of my head Improved Familiar, Familiar Concentration would let your familiar concentrate on some of your spells.

Add in the Extra Familiar Feat and you could start concentrating on even more spells.

SangoProduction
2021-04-25, 10:04 AM
That's neat. Is there a way to hand off concentration between multiple subjects so that they can take turns concentrating, and thus take shifts sleeping to keep it going perpetually?

cartejos
2021-04-25, 10:06 AM
I don't believe so, though someone else may be able to find a way.

Familiar Concentration works that they are designated the "concentrator" when you cast the spell

Edit: Step 1: Be an incantatrix
Step 2: hire 2 incantatrix buddies, one of them sleeps during the day
Step 3: Use seize concentration to pass the spell between each of you

Feantar
2021-04-25, 10:24 AM
That's neat. Is there a way to hand off concentration between multiple subjects so that they can take turns concentrating, and thus take shifts sleeping to keep it going perpetually?

I dunno about this specifically, but getting a construct,
elemental, plant, ooze, outsider(non-native) or undead familiar would serve just as well - they do not need to sleep.

Twurps
2021-04-25, 12:51 PM
I dunno about this specifically, but getting a construct,
elemental, plant, ooze, outsider(non-native) or undead familiar would serve just as well - they do not need to sleep.

Or just have your 'regular' familiar not sleep. It's not like there's a big penalty for it*, and the penalty that it does get is easily fixed with low level spells/potions/items.

*both fatigued and exhausted come with a strength and dex penalty, neither of which your familiar needs to have high up as all it does is concentrating anyway.

RSGA
2021-04-25, 03:58 PM
Unless they take the not-sleeping stuff from Elder Evils, at which point the creature will need to rest at some point or the penalties of not-sleeping will make it do something other than concentrate. Possibly even sleep, because this isn't being enforced by an outside force.

SangoProduction
2021-04-26, 09:50 AM
Useful options, definitely.

Bayar
2021-04-26, 10:38 AM
Or just be a warforged.

Darg
2021-04-26, 11:05 AM
Spirit shaman 10 can pass off concentration to their handy helper that can't be interrupted. Add in swift concentration, you can have 2 concentrations going on at once without eating you good actions. I quite like the idea of a spirit shaman/sentinel of bharrai and having the spirit guide makes a quite interesting combo with the bear shape and surrogate spellcasting feat. Sort of makes up for the fact you don't get wildshape.

liquidformat
2021-04-26, 11:42 AM
Extraordinary Concentration (CAd) allows you to make concentration checks as a swift action
Swift Concentration (CSc) also lets you maintain concentration as a swift action, it is strictly better than Extraordinary Concentration

I think there is a feat that lets you concentrate on more than one spell or something like that but AFBs and can't remember the name or specifics.

Darg
2021-04-26, 12:49 PM
As addendum, the spirit shaman spirit guide can technically maintain concentration while sleeping.

The twin spell metamagic doubles the effect of one spell while remaining one spell to maintain concentration on.